Important Question, Looking for an Answer
Apr 5, 2006 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ScubaSteve87

1000+ Head-Fier
Alright lets get straight to it:

You know those little plastic things that hold on the tags in clothes? they look like little t's on each end with one end looking squished. How do they get those on in the clothes in the first place??!!? Its kinda bugging me

My theory: they have the plastic things formed where one end is like a needle and the other is the non squished T. They punch it through and then they melt the needle end quick and it squishes down to become a squished T. Thats the best I could come up with at the moment.

Any ideas?

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 13
Well now......................
Those are put on with tagging guns.
I've been trying to find out how they work. No luck yet. But, I did find that
Avery makes a gun and tags. It seems that they are just inserted through some kind of needle. I don't think they are melted in any way.

Here is a photo from Avery's catalog.
taggun.jpg

Apr 5, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
Well now......................
Those are put on with tagging guns.
I've been trying to find out how they work. No luck yet. But, I did find that
Avery makes a gun and tags. It seems that they are just inserted through some kind of needle. I don't think they are melted in any way.

Here is a photo from Avery's catalog.
taggun.jpg

oh very nice. The plot thickens

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 13
Excellent picture tells all: The needle is hollow, at a diameter slightly larger than the diameter of the top of the "t", with an opening for the top of the "t" to turn and escape the confines of the needle just before the tip of the needle. A pushrod shoves the plastic top of the 't" down the needle. There is a slot in the side of the needle for the thinnest part of the security tag, the shaft of the "t" to follow along, bent over to be parallel to the top of the"t" during the actual insertion. The needle parts or pierces the material to be tagged, and the shaft of the security device rides along inside the groove in the needle during the insertion process. After insertion, the top of the "t" returns nearly to right angles to the thin shaft of the "t", close to its orientation when the plastic part was manufactured.

Apr 5, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 13
Yep that's what they use...I used to work retail in a clothing store for a lil while...I hated that stupid gun
very_evil_smiley.gif
word of caution needle is sharp needless to say.

I don't know if there is anyway to use that thing with out damage clothes...everytime i used it, there was a noticable hole in the shirt or what ever I had to retag
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda513
Now we know how to get them in, but how the hell do you get them out? I know cutting them works, but I never seem to have a scissor when I need one.

I just pull them off, doesn't seem to leave any damage to the tags or anything and they break quite easily.

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs
I just pull them off, doesn't seem to leave any damage to the tags or anything and they break quite easily.

I'm not worrying about damaging the tags, more like leaving holes in my clothing.

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda513
Now we know how to get them in, but how the hell do you get them out? I know cutting them works, but I never seem to have a scissor when I need one.

Hold one tag, and twist the other until it breaks.

Or use teeth.

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 13
to get rid of the RFID tag a strong capacitor shorted acrost it will do wonders, then just pry it off with a small/flat crowbar or even a screw driver.

as for how thos things go in, i always immagined that the go in sideways and swing into place, you can get them out by putting one side of the 'T' through the same hole the stem goes through (the Stem of the T will be ocupying a hole in the garmet, you can stick the stems one at a time through that hole and the whole thing will slide out, its hard and you have to be careful but it can be done)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back