Importance of 9V battery
Nov 16, 2002 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gortsby

New Head-Fier
Have been a reader (we call it 'CD-ROM' in my place) here for a while. Have learnt a lot of things and bought a Grado 60 since then. Thank you all.

Have been ordering a portable META42 and get recommended to use 9.6V Plainview battery. Can only locate rechargeable 9V battery with voltage of 8.4V in the place I am.

My question is: how much will the performance of the amp be affected by the difference in 9.6V vs. 8.4V of the battery?
confused.gif

If the difference is really material, have to consider buying the 9.6V one from the net and get a transformer to step down power supply fm 220V to 110V.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 3
When the voltage gets low enough, the amp starts "clipping", which is easy to hear even in tiny amounts. Once the amp starts clipping, you have to change out the battery because the music becomes unlistenable. Since batteries drop in voltage over time, the the higher voltage you start from, the longer it will run before you have to change the battery.

Also, op-amps sound better at higher voltages. This effect is especially true at single-digit voltages. (Beyond about 12V, most chips don't improve much.)

With most types of rechargeable batteries, you usually get a quick voltage drop-off when the battery is freshly charged, then it stays more or less at the same voltage for a long time, and at the end of its life it drops quickly again. Presumably a 9.6V rechargeable will have a higher-voltage flat area than a 7.2V or 8.4V rechargeable battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back