Import CDs (expensive!) or purchase from iTunes?
Mar 20, 2007 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DRSpeed85

500+ Head-Fier
There is a band called [re:jazz] that I am really interested in, but their albums don't seem to reach stateside. They make slightly modernized jazz music.

http://www.re-jazz.de/
Go to IMAGES

Anyway, to get their CDs I need to import them directly from Germany which costs more than I expected and is pretty steep for a college student. Instead I can purchase their album from iTunes at half the cost but it obviously isn't lossless. I value the purchase of my CDs by accessing lossless files in it. So you see, I'm a little torn between spending extra time and money to get the genuine copies or download half quality files at half price...

Do you think it is worth the extra to get the CDs?

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Purchase the CD's. Paying money for lossy files filled with DRM? Geez you'd be better off pirating it than paying those itunes thugs. IMO.

QFT

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Purchase the CD's. Paying money for lossy files filled with DRM? Geez you'd be better off pirating it than paying those itunes thugs. IMO.

We at head-fi do not condone the "pirating" of any copyright protected works; however whatever you do on your own free time and bandwidth is your own business.
wink.gif

But seriously if you really like a piece of music I would recommend buying the CD. It'll last longer, sound better and play on anything with a CD laser.

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We at head-fi do not condone the "pirating" of any copyright protected works; however whatever you do on your own free time and bandwidth is your own business.
wink.gif

But seriously if you really like a piece of music I would recommend buying the CD. It'll last longer, sound better and play on anything with a CD laser.

I'm well aware of that, but paying apple for music which isn't really yours, you don't actually own it by downloading it from apple due to the DRM. I'm not telling him to pirate it, I'm just saying you may as well pirate rather than pay apple for something that you don't actually own. Does that make sense? Well, maybe not, but I think you can get the point.

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

I'm well aware of that, but paying apple for music which isn't really yours, you don't actually own it by downloading it from apple due to the DRM. I'm not telling him to pirate it, I'm just saying you may as well pirate rather than pay apple for something that you don't actually own. Does that make sense? Well, maybe not, but I think you can get the point.

I think you missed the point of my post. It was more tongue-in-cheek.
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 12
Definitly get the CDs. It's better to have a bird in hand. While I am a fan of digital music, I do not buy from iTunes and such places. I want a physical package for my hard earned money, and the choice to rip if and how I please. I purchase form overseas several times a year and have not once experienced a problem. Truth be told, they often arrive faster than things shipped from within the states.

Mar 20, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 12
Buy the CD!
iTunes Store sell AAC files at 128kbps, which don't provide the same sound quality as PCM files.
They are also DRM protected, which restrict the usage..

Mar 20, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 12
www.Djangos.com

buy them used at a discount but in excellent shape. I find most CD's about 5-6 bucks and with shipping at .99 they are still cheaper than ITunes... and you choose the quality you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back