iMod Playback Format Question
Jul 11, 2009 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

entropydave

New Head-Fier
Hello All

I have a recently gotten an iMod based on an iPod photo (Red Wine Audio iMod). For those who do not know this is an iPod 4G with custom electronics to make it a good line level digital source.

So I am now faced with the task of re-sampling my CDs to make the best of this new source. My question is what format to do the re-sampling in? My choices seem to me to be Apple Lossless or some high bit rate AAC or MP3. Obviously the downside is that Apple Lossless is at least 3 times the size of, say, 320 bit AAC.

I wonder if anyone has any opinions or experiences on whether the differences in formats between 256 or 320 bit AAC or MP3 is noticeable compared to Apple Lossless. Please remember that as a source the iMod is pretty damn clean and good.

I will do my own experiments but I want to narrow my experimental range by tapping those kind enough to share their experiences.

Thanks
David.

P.S. To make it more clear I will probably be listening to this music on Grado RS-1's paired with a RA-1 amp or AKG 701 with a Meier Headfive amp.

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 9
In the end it does not matter what other people can audition and think. Since we all listen to different music and have different set of ears.
192kbps MP3 may be transparent to some, while 320kbps is not transparent to others.

I have performed listening tests in the past and not found either MP3 or AAC (at any bitrate) to be 100% transparent, so anything less than lossless (ALAC for the time being) do not do it for me.

Jul 11, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 9
I encoded my flavor CD with both Apple lossless and 320VBR MP3, I can barely tell the difference except one song with very low passage. During that song, with lossless I can tell the a cough from the audience is a female while the 320 is just a cough. If space is not an issue, I highly recommen to go with lossless but you will be happy with 320.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 9
I was able to notice a slight difference between lossless and compressed. I decided to err on the side of caution and go with lossless, but the downside is that I had to put my music into subgroups since the files are so large.
I didn't want to have to re-record my music if I changed my mind in the future.

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 9
If you went to the trouble of gettin the iMod i'd say go lossless and use ALAC.

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by entropydave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello All

I have a recently gotten an iMod based on an iPod photo (Red Wine Audio iMod). ...
So I am now faced with the task of re-sampling my CDs to make the best of this new source. My question is what format to do the re-sampling in? My choices seem to me to be Apple Lossless or some high bit rate AAC or MP3.

I have never done a systematic comparison of lossless with AAC files. As I recall, Vinnie Rossi of Red Wine Audio recommended lossless files to get the most out of his iMod(ification). The iMod webpage you link to mentions lossless at least twice.

I concur with krmathis. By all means go ahead and experiment. Whether I hear a difference that I think is worth the storage shouldn't matter given that the decision depends on your rig, your hearing, your values, your musical taste, and your listening situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back