iMod or iTransport??
Jun 25, 2008 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Chorejas

New Head-Fier
I'm new here and I was wondering what it would be the best solution for an office set-up: an iMod + DAC + speakers or an iPod + Wadia iTransport + DAC + speakers??

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 13
Why would you be connecting the iMod to a DAC?

As far as i know, the iMod stil uses the internal iPod DAC but bypasses the internal amp. All you would need with an iMod would be a LOD with capacitors in it and an amp.

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 13
Huh? I thought the iTransport has no DAC... the RCA jacks on the back basically use the iPod DAC and if you use the coaxial, it'll bypass the iPod DAC. Also, $250 is to do the mod, it doesn't include the price of the original iPod.

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh? I thought the iTransport has no DAC... the RCA jacks on the back basically use the iPod DAC and if you use the coaxial, it'll bypass the iPod DAC. Also, $250 is to do the mod, it doesn't include the price of the original iPod.

Yes, that bolded part is right.

Personally, after having an iMod, I would say go with the iTransport. It's more flexible in terms of future iPods (hopefully), and the iPod itself will be "normal," so it can still be compatible with any and all iPod accessories, and you don;t have to be tied to special Blackgate LODs and cables.

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 13
I also like the flexibility the iTransport can give you with connecting different DACs. If I'm not mistaken, the iMod also has to be amped (can't use the headphone jack) which can limit portability if that's at all an issue.

Edit: From Red Wine Audio: "the 5G/5.5G iMod does NOT in any way alter the stock headphone output… it is not modified or disabled." But if you go with the 4G one, it is disabled.

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by happykev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Wadia does not have a built in DAC.

Sorry my bad! I misread the website.
confused.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chorejas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm new here and I was wondering what it would be the best solution for an office set-up: an iMod + DAC + speakers or an iPod + Wadia iTransport + DAC + speakers??

Back to the OP, I think what it really comes down to (assuming price is not an issue) is if you like the DAC that's sitting in the iMod, or the iPod for that matter, and whether you want that doing the conversion or something else.

Jun 26, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, after having an iMod, I would say go with the iTransport. It's more flexible in terms of future iPods (hopefully), and the iPod itself will be "normal," so it can still be compatible with any and all iPod accessories, and you don;t have to be tied to special Blackgate LODs and cables.

Thanks for saving me the effort of typing... totally agree.

Also means you have the opportunity to add an external DAC later... for me, it is a clear choice.

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 13
You have to make a choice bw mobility or home use.
It's the only question.
For home setup: Itransport+Dac ( great with the classic ipod )
For mobility Imod is the best choice and you can ad an alo imod dock for home (but it's quite expensive).

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #13 of 13
I am getting good results with apple airport express into the dac in my integrated stereo. Remote control can be with any pda with cheap to free software.

This bypasses the ipod but uses my pc/ itunes. Since both the wadia and the airport express really need external dacs, I dont see what the wadia provides that the airport express/ pc route do not provide for less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back