iMod Mini 1G RMAA Results
Nov 27, 2008 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bmwpowere36m3

100+ Head-Fier
I ran a quick test of my newly modded Mini DAP. First I tested it against my onboard sound card (Macbook Pro) and then used it to record the data from the Mini. I used a freeware version of RMAA...

First up are the results of the Mini vs. MBP:

iModMinivsMBPDAP_1.jpg

iModMinivsMBPDAP_2.jpg

Seems like the MBP's sound card has a slightly worse frequency response, which peaks a little starting ~6kHz and dips at around 50Hz... where as the mini is pretty much dead flat.

However the stereo crosstalk for the mini is not as good as the MBP sound card. I have a feeling its do to some residual resistors that were tying the L&R signals to ground...

And here's a detailed look at the mini:

iModMiniDAPDetail_1.jpg

iModMiniDAPDetail_2.jpg

iModMiniDAPDetail_3.jpg

The results look similar or better in some cases to the Alien & γ1 DAC's...

Picture23.png

I'm pretty sure this isn't the be-all, end-all of test data, but I'm pleased for a mini that has lasted 4yrs and currently was of no use to me. A couple of dollars for a CF card, iModding it, and installing Rockbox
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 6
No feedback: Great, Good, Terrible, Nothing, I don't care
tongue_smile.gif

I'm actually looking for some advice as I'm currently using my iPod as my DAC (based on a Wolfson DAC chip), if I should be looking to upgrade to something better. I don't really have anything to compare to at the moment, but I'd like something I could hook up to my computer (Macbook Pro) so I can easily play tons of music (all lossless).

I was looking at the ϒ1 as an DIY alternative, maybe something better... as I don't need such a portable DAC. Something better, larger, bang for your buck, a Twisted Pear DAC? Or maybe a commercially available one, like Musical Fidelity V-DAC. I just recently learned about this DAC from a local HiFi store I visited. The owner explained to me, he had a couple of "Audiophiles" that came a long ways to his store to hear a ~$4k DAC unit he had (can't remember offhand which one). When they sat down to listen he played the music from his Mac > V-DAC and they stated that the sound was great, they really liked it. He said he almost had a heart-attack when he told them the music was from his computer (lossless) > V-DAC.

Maybe just a sales pitch, but I see a lot of discussion about this particular DAC as its reasonably priced <$300

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 6
if you are considering the Y1 then I reckon you should do it; its performing very competitively against the twisted pear and others. plus you can actually take it portable if the mood takes you. i'm half way through building mine and with a nice amp to go with it I think you will be pleasantly surprised. the ipod isnt in the same league IMO and I like ipods

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 6
Those are good results, but be aware that you should not make comparisons between test results taken on a different test setup than yours. The measurement environment (the playback and recording devices, the cables, and other factors) influence the reading. Thus, while it's reasonable to make comparisons between your own DACs based on the same recording sound card, you should draw no conclusion about your results against any measurement that I made under totally different circumstances.

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are good results, but be aware that you should not make comparisons between test results taken on a different test setup than yours. The measurement environment (the playback and recording devices, the cables, and other factors) influence the reading. Thus, while it's reasonable to make comparisons between your own DACs based on the same recording sound card, you should draw no conclusion about your results against any measurement that I made under totally different circumstances.

That's true, I guess when I posted that a while back I was just "impressed" with its results. Anyhow, do you have any plans on designing a higher-end DAC... maybe a desktop model. Any opinions on where it ranks with regards to quality: Twisted Pear Buffalo or Opus; Gamma1; Alien DAC; V-DAC; DAC1. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back