1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Imod in comparison to dedicated DACs

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by jarmel, May 10, 2009.
  1. Jarmel
    I'm looking at getting a dedicated DAC for my home audio system and I'm wondering which DACs and what price range I would have to look at in order for it to beat the Imod with the V-Cap attachment. No sense paying money to downgrade in audio quality. Thank you.

2. tcp56
    I have an IMod with ken's v-cap doc. same files on my MacBook played with my Pico amp/dac through my Little-Dot MKIVse sounds noticably better than the IMod played through the Little-Dot.

3. Lil' Knight
    The iMod+vcap is one of the most overrated stuffs I've ever heard. I still can't justify how a pair of uber caps can make an iPod sound significantly better.
    And yes, I did have the modded iPod and own uber caps dock. My Pico still kicks ass.

4. Jarmel
    Either way, I'm pretty much looking for a dac around 1k and I'm wondering if it's going to be an improvement or not. I've been looking at the Havana and Stello.

5. Lil' Knight
    I'd go with the dedicated DAC. It'll bring you a lot more details, dynamic than from the iMod.
    There're a lot good choices for a DAC ~1k.

6. Jarmel
    So at that price range, are those two considered the best?

7. doping panda
    There really is no best in this hobby. Rather than an objective best, it's a hobby of preference. Since you're interested in the DA100 and Havana, there was a recent DA100 and Havana comparison that you should read if you haven't already. Also, you might want to look into the Audio-GD stuff.

8. Jarmel
    I already did. I was trying to see if there was any I forgot about or any new models that had come out that blew either of them away.