IM716 for $49 on Dec 3rd, buy.com
Dec 11, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #166 of 201
FWIW, my Cowon A2 does a fine job powering these.

Dec 12, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #167 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tstarn06, I am also using my im716 with the Minibox-E, and I think the combo is great. I still have the pod in the cord, but I don't think it is worth removing hearing the sound I'm hearing now.

I use the 75ohm switch on Minibox-E, and it seems to tame the highs a bit and give more weight to the lows. This sound signature is great. Have you tried the PtoS switch with your im716s? -CK

You know, I wondered how much better the mod would make them, because with the Mini-box and the PtoS switch, and the bass boost on the back, they do sound pretty damn good. I just hate the pod hanging down. And the clip on it is worthless. Not sure what I will do. I am also using the Atrio bi-flanges and they are a fantastic match with the 716s. Comfy,. soft and great sound. So maybe you are right. Then again, for $40, maybe these babies can actually sound even better. Love that Minibox, though. Awesome amp. And one of the best-kept secrets on Head-Fi.

Still digging the PK1s? I know I am, when I don't need iso.

Oh, and the new Zune with 256-320 rips really makes all my phones reach their potential.

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #168 of 201
about sound quality, i saw a lot of reviews bofere purchasing them, and opinions about the modded im716 is that it sounds better then a lot of other phones that cost x2 its price, or more.

there is a topic that discuss im716 x er4p

I would like to see some more recent opinions of how modded im716 compare to er4p/s, super.fi 5 pro, um2, etc...

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #169 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
about sound quality, i saw a lot of reviews bofere purchasing them, and opinions about the modded im716 is that it sounds better then a lot of other phones that cost x2 its price, or more.

there is a topic that discuss im716 x er4p

I would like to see some more recent opinions of how modded im716 compare to er4p/s, super.fi 5 pro, um2, etc...

I also have a super.fi 5 Pro (which I'm listening to right now).

SF5 - Stronger bass, dual driver, less roll off in both lows and highs. The SF5s are probably one of the best all-arounders in my collection. They're not bad at anything. If you're about to take a 2 week trip and you're told you can only bring 1 set of headphones these are at the top of your list. I actually recently fell in love with these all over again.
icon10.gif

im716 - Haven't modded them, but their sound signature is basically the standard ety sound sig, which is a high level of details, great mids, good highs, bass that's present and even with impact but perhaps understated. These are for classical and critical listening. They are basically the opposite of the Super.fi 5 EBs.

Also, SF5s are far more comfortable, easier to insert, and have much less microphonics.

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #170 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by devilsadvocate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got mine and think they're great. If you want IEMs that sound like speakers get the super.fi 5 EBs. But these are a different animal. And the bass isn't bad for an IEM. These are harder to drive than some. What equipment are you using?

I'm using a Creative Zen Sleek. I'm afraid to put them deeper in my ears as I might not be able to get them out. I will give them a try with my Anthem AVM and see if they sound any better.

Dec 12, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #171 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a Creative Zen Sleek. I'm afraid to put them deeper in my ears as I might not be able to get them out. I will give them a try with my Anthem AVM and see if they sound any better.

They should go very deep, and you shouldn't have any difficulties getting them out.

Don't know about the Sleek. Go ahead and try with other sources.

Dec 12, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #172 of 201
Oh wow, I tried the tri-flanges again using the olive oil 'mod' and they're so much more comfortable. I'd even say they reach ex71 levels of comfort! (make sure that there is no oil shine on the flanges before you put them in though)

And I think I'll have to retract my previous comment about the bass, it's not lacking, it's just..different..from my KSC75s.. Much cleaner and more defined but with less of a thump.

Classical sounds superb though, compared to the 'sparkly' sense on the KSC75s, it's much more 'tidy' on the im716s and plus there's all that detail I never heard before!

Dec 12, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #173 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcc84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Deusofhearts, check to see if your sound check is OFF under settings as well as the volume limit raised to the max. I'm surprised it is actually that quiet, but you could always do a podectomy and choose low value resistors. See thread on podectomy.

Ah that seemed to remedy the situation. Thanks for the tip!

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #174 of 201
My order switched from "sent to warehouse" to "on order" today
mad.gif

I placed my order on the 6th. So I put in a "request to cancel" waiting to see what happens before I order from J&R.
Maybe I should just say screw it and order some M5's
cool.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #175 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My order switched from "sent to warehouse" to "on order" today
mad.gif

I placed my order on the 6th. So I put in a "request to cancel" waiting to see what happens before I order from J&R.
Maybe I should just say screw it and order some M5's
cool.gif

I ordered mine from J&R and had them shipped via UPS. They arrived at my door 23 hours after I placed the order! How's that for service?
eek.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #176 of 201
I placed my order within minutes of the 12-3 sale start at Buy.com. By 12-6 it had been transfered from UPS Atlanta to USPS. Rome is only about 60 miles from the USPS facility but I finally got it today. (Could have walked round trip in less time!) Now to check it out!!

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #177 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered mine from J&R and had them shipped via UPS. They arrived at my door 23 hours after I placed the order! How's that for service?
eek.gif

wow amazing, had to wait a few days for mine from Buy.com. They sound great but I'm having an extremely difficult time getting a good seal on these. Might just have to give them up
frown.gif
Hope the se530's I have on the way will fit me

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #179 of 201
I ordered mine from buy.com on the 3rd, and a coworker ordered his several hours later. He got his a few days later, and mine sat at "On Order". I ordered from J&R and canceled my buy.com order. My J&R order has shipped and I have a tracking number - and since I'm in California, I'm not paying sales tax, making J&R a good bit cheaper for me. Buy.com needs a better order entry & inventory tracking system!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back