iM716 DIY Pod Removal (aka, Podectomy)
Oct 9, 2006 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 352

jSatch

500+ Head-Fier
There has been a lot of discussion amongst iM716 owners, and prospective owners, as to the nature of the 'Pod'. Mostly, how do I get rid of it?
biggrin.gif
And then, how will getting rid of it affect the sound and performance of the phones?

First, how to get rid of it:

This ia a DIY guide for pod removal of the iM716, and possible modification of the iM616, Ety and other products.

iM716 Specific Pod Removal and Freq EQ (with resistors):
1) Pry open the iM716 pod with a screwdriver along the edges. It is glued in a couple of spots.

2) There are 4 wires per side. A Green, (left) a Red (right), and 2 Gold (twisted together). The gold are common. Therefore, there are 3 contacts per side of pod (see picture). Note: The side of the phones is labeled O, with appropriate L, R, and G (Left, Right, Ground), and the plug side labelled I-L, I-R, I-G. Just in case you want to put this back together (but I doubt it!)

1.jpg

(back of pod-board)

2.jpg

3) Twist cable to unwind and extend wires (see picture). Detach the wires from each side of the pod using a soldering iron.

3.jpg

4.jpg

4) Carefully trim down the strain-relief rubber ends. (This will allow you to slide a large piece of Heat Shrink on, which wil cover all the wires and rubber heat-shrink grommets when finished. So trim it to allow this heat-shrink to slide over.)

5.jpg

5) Cut a large piece of heat-shrink and insert prior to reconnecting wires.

6) Reconnect (solder) the Gold common wires.

7) Reconnect the Green and Red wires, respectively, straight away, or with a discreet resister of choice. (see picture). The size of the resister will determine the frequency balance. (More on that in a later post)

6.jpg

7.jpg

(very ugly soldering here! shameful.)

8) Use a Volt-Ohm meter to check channels. Place the Black lead of the VOM on the inner of 3 metal bands on the plug (common), and Red lead of the VOM on the outer metal tip of the plug (left channel), or Red lead of the VOM on the middle metal band (right channel), to check DC impedance (Ohms).

9) Cut pieces of electrical tape and wrap soldered areas. The tinned ends of the wires and soldered areas need to be isolated. The colored areas of the wires are electrically isolated.

10) Twist cables to wind wires (as when pod was first opened) to minimize space, and to add to strain resistance. Pull heat shrink over area and heat with hair dryer to seal. The heat shrink should extend over the trimmed rubber strain relief ends. (Note- Prior to heating shrink-wrap, you can use a wax gun or apply epoxy to the soldered areas and wires to make them water resistant and increase strain resistance. However, this will make any further modification difficult.)

11) Enjoy!

This is, IMHO, a very simple, straightforward DIY modification. However, I would strongly suggest some degree of competency prior to attempting this DIY. I accept no responsibility for any failed attempt at this project, or problems that may occur during or after this DIY modification. I will say that my iM716 is sounding better than ever.

The 'strain-relief' may be compromised being held by the coiled wire and heat shrink. The heat shrink over the old strain-relief rubber grommet pieces should give a reasonable degree of protection. Improving strain-relief is an area where improvements can be made. Looking forward to hearing from you guys with some creative ideas for this.

Obviously your warrantee will be void after performing the podectomy.

OTHER PHONES:
For those that wish to mod the impedance of the iM616, Ety or other products: simply purchase male and female connectors, wire and resistors (from RadioShack, for example) to make your own P to S connector. You can, as above, vary the values of the resistors to contour the sound to your liking.

FINISHED PRODUCT, SOUND?
I haven't shown a picture of the finished product yet, as I am still trying various resistors. Still a work in progress. But the heat shrink will fit from the end of one of the rubber strain-relief pieces to to the other. The grip ridges should allow a good grip for the heat-shrink. Pictures and sound evaluations to follow. At this point, is there any observed improvement? Yes.

KUDOS
Kudos to BushGuy for making this mod possible. He had the foresight and guts to have his iM716 professionally modified (1st official podectomy). Please see iM716 “modded” by BushGuy for this important thread. His thread also mentions where you can send your iM716 if you care to have it modded professionally.

Thanks BushGuy!

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by poonpower
what do the resistors do in the picture?
and can you also post pics of how to make our own P to S connector?

Thank you poonpower for bringing up this obvious oversight on my part.

Why resistors? As with the P to S connector, and the Bass to HD switch of the iM716, adding resistance will change the impedance and the freq balance. The less resistance, the stronger the bass. Yet this comes at the expense of high freq extension and 'presence'. Adding resistance will decrease the bass, yet add more high freq 'sparkle'. A bit like an EQ slider.

Swapping out resistors takes a bit of time, as does going through a long and varied music library to hear which configuration is better for most music.

P to S connector. I will not be making a P to S connector, so, sorry, no pics. The process is the same as above- add varying resistance to the left and right channel leads to increase impedance. You can buy a plug (male end), receptor (female end), and a piece of wire to splice the resistors into, or just buy an extension cord and splice in the resistors.

For example, if you have an Ety ER6i with a resistance of about 16 Ohms, adding a 10 Ohm resistor in-line should bring that to about 26 Ohms (neglecting what should be less than an Ohm additional for the plugs and wire), whereas adding a 47 Ohm resistor will add up to...., well, a lot more.

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 352
Does anybody had bothered to see what is in that board, the schematic I mean, and maybe remove the tiny components, and fill the blanks with silver wire jumpers, and leave it the way it is just bypassing it and maybe just the volume inline and switch to connect and disconnetc the "P" to "S" adapter....just an idea, the stripping solution still do not floats my boat completelly....

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance
do you mind my asking what kind of eartips those are? and where you got them?

Definitely DIY tips. Go read the long thread about them
tongue.gif

Btw, great thread, jSatch!

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 352
NICE!!! This will definitely be added to my to-do list
biggrin.gif

And thanks for taking the plunge to do this on your own. Bushguy (and the guy he paid to mod his iM716's for him) and you are the ones who started all of this.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #10 of 352
Quote:

Those look an awful lot like trimmed-down Howard Leight Max earplugs. You should be able to find them at any hardware store, I'd imagine.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #11 of 352
That is exactly what they are. IMO they are the best thing that has happened to my 716s since I got them. There are some excellent pics in jSatch's other topic but for a quick one you can check out my sig
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #12 of 352
Quote:

MAN, you guys are really on top of it! WOW.

Yes terence, as mentioned, these are Howard Leight MAX earplugs in beautiful, vibrant, safety-orange.
biggrin.gif

Love the color or hate it, their impact on the sound is impressive.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...7&postcount=30

FYI- I've since trimmed them down a tad, as you can see in this thread. I like the outer flange to make it snugly on the outside of my ear canal.

If you don't have large ear canals there are many other options. My preference is (strongly) polyurethane. The MAX urethanes just fit my MAX ear canals.

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 352
From above post in reply to poonpowers obvious question regarding adding resistors-

Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch
Why resistors? As with the P to S connector, and the Bass to HD switch of the iM716, adding resistance will change the impedance and the freq balance. The less resistance, the stronger the bass. Yet this comes at the expense of high freq extension and 'presence'. Adding resistance will decrease the bass, yet add more high freq 'sparkle'. A bit like an EQ slider.

Swapping out resistors takes a bit of time, as does going through a long and varied music library to hear which configuration is better for most music.

ALTERNATIVE PROCESS FOR FREQ RESPONSE REGULATION:
As per my friend, BushGuy, you could simply connect the wires straight away, as he did, and then use a Xin Supermini-amp (or some other amp with variable impedance settings) instead of adding resistors in-line. (I am also willing to accept any donations of a Supermini amp for extended testing purposes. Thanking you in advance for your generosity and contribution to science.
biggrin.gif
)

Considering the wear and tear on these tiny wires at the moment due to swaping out several pairs of resistors, this is a very sensible idea.

I'm hoping BushGuy will give us some info regarding impedance settings before my wires fray off altogether.

Later- jS

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz
Definitely DIY tips. Go read the long thread about them
tongue.gif

Btw, great thread, jSatch!

Thank you flamerz.

BTW- Did you ever get to making DIY foamies. If I remember, you were considering it a while ago.

Kramer5150 (the Kramer of the of KSC-75 'Kramer' mod and other mods as well) also prefers polyurethane foamies to the PVC types.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...3&postcount=45

I just purchased another set (10 pairs) of HL MAX earplugs from eBay for 99cents (+$2.35 shipping). I think others said they can be purchased in CVS pharmacy stores as well. Don't know the price there.

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223
NICE!!! This will definitely be added to my to-do list
biggrin.gif

And thanks for taking the plunge to do this on your own. Bushguy (and the guy he paid to mod his iM716's for him) and you are the ones who started all of this.

Thank you for the kind words vYu.

Between the podectomy and the DIY tips, these phones are really getting to sound pretty special.

Cheers-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back