I'm trying to get a beginner setup. I mainly listen to grunge and rock, but I also listen to a lot of live stuff with varying genres.
Jun 4, 2014 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

God Parasite

New Head-Fier
First of all, I'm going to just list off some of the bands I listen to.
-Alice in Chains (Been listening to them a lot lately)
-Arctic Monkeys
-Audioslave
-Beastie Boys
-Beck
-Black Sabbath
-Blur
-The Bravery
-Bush
-Cake
-The Clash
-Diablo Swing Orchestra
-The Doors
-Eagles
-Foo Fighters
-Green Day
-Green River
-Incubus
-Jimi Hendrix
-Led Zeppelin
-Linkin Park (Early 2000's)
-Mad Season (Listen to their album at least three times a weak)
-Metallica
-Norman Greenbaum
-Muse
-Nirvana (Lots of Nirvana)
-Oasis
-The Offspring
-Pearl Jam
-The Police
-Radiohead
-Red Hot Chili Peppers
-Soundgarden
-Stone Temple Pilots
-Sublime
-System Of A Down
-Temple of the Dog
-The White Stripes
-The Who
Now, I'm thinking of getting the Schiit Modi and I'm looking for a well balanced headphone that will go well with what I listen to but I really like vocals. My price range is about 250-300 for the headphone. I need an over the ear headphone, preferably open back since it is for home use, with little to no sibilance, a good soundstage, and my ears are on the larger side so they need to be very comfortable. I don't listen to crap quality music since I transferred all my music over into flac form. If I need to change the DAC then I will, but my price range on the DAC is about $100-160.

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 10
Looking at your musical tastes I'm thinking Grado's might be in your future?

The Modi gets plenty of praise but, depending on how you would prefer to connect to your computer, also consider the ODAC, amongst others.

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 10
Looking at your musical tastes I'm thinking Grado's might be in your future?

The Modi gets plenty of praise but, depending on how you would prefer to connect to your computer, also consider the ODAC, amongst others.

I've looked into Grados and don't generally like them, but I'm kind of new here so I don't know what an ODAC is. I'm going to plug the DAC  in through usb and optical for watching movies which I forgot to mention

If you can try the HE-400 with velvet pads they may work for you.

And I've heard about the HE-400 and that it's good for rock music but will it pair well with the Modi?

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 10
I don't like Grado either but if you go into Grado threads most people there are talking about rock music.

AKG Q701's might also be a contender, especially since you're looking for a big soundstage. I have a pair but I find them painful both to listen to and to wear after as little as half an hour. YMMV.

I'm sorry my knowledge isn't more extensive but I'll only comment on what I've actually heard. I actually use my Sennheiser HD650's exclusively these days as I like their warm, non-fatiguing sound and they're incredibly comfortable to wear. Perhaps you might try the HD600 from Sennheiser but be aware that to get the best from these high impedance headphones you're really looking at getting an amp as well.

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #8 of 10
  I've looked into Grados and don't generally like them, but I'm kind of new here so I don't know what an ODAC is. I'm going to plug the DAC  in through usb and optical for watching movies which I forgot to mention

And I've heard about the HE-400 and that it's good for rock music but will it pair well with the Modi?

I have not tried them but the word here is the Modi and Vali sound great with the HE-400 I just ask about it this week. Razordog may have some (HE-400) open box ones on sale too.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 10
I don't like Grado either but if you go into Grado threads most people there are talking about rock music.

AKG Q701's might also be a contender, especially since you're looking for a big soundstage. I have a pair but I find them painful both to listen to and to wear after as little as half an hour. YMMV.

I'm sorry my knowledge isn't more extensive but I'll only comment on what I've actually heard. I actually use my Sennheiser HD650's exclusively these days as I like their warm, non-fatiguing sound and they're incredibly comfortable to wear. Perhaps you might try the HD600 from Sennheiser but be aware that to get the best from these high impedance headphones you're really looking at getting an amp as well.

I would try the Q701, but comfort is something I can't give up since I'm going to be wearing these for long periods of time. But I may go with the HD600, any recommendations for the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back