I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy?
Dec 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SoulFan84

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I really enjoy reading and learning from the many knowledgable and enthusiastic people and posts. I'm trying to decide what setup to buy.

My musical taste (as you can probably tell from my name) is mainly Soul/R&B like Sam Cooke(favorite singer) R. Kelly, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Otis Redding etc.etc. but I also like Hip Hop, Classic Blues, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones  etc.

Here are some setups I'm thinking about buying:

-Sennheiser hd650 w/Headroom's Ultra Desktop Amp/Dac

-Audeze LCD-2 (or LCD-3) w/Burson Conductor Amp/Dac

-Sennheiser HD800 balanced w/Headroom's BUDA/UDAC combo

-HifiMan HE-6 w/HifiMan EF-6/HeadRoom's UDAC

-Audeze LCD-2 (or LCD-3) w/Schitt Mjolnir/Gungnir

I've been reading A LOT of your posts and I began to narrow it down to these selections. But please feel free to suggest anything else if we have the same musical taste. Thanks in advance!

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the quick response! I've heard many people talk about having some listening fatigue when using the HD800's with some recordings. That made my enthusiasm drop a little. I'm not sure how my CD's will sound with the HD800s. 

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response! I've heard many people talk about having some listening fatigue when using the HD800's with some recordings. That made my enthusiasm drop a little. I'm not sure how my CD's will sound with the HD800s. 

All of your choices excel in most aspects of sonic performance, they have different "flavours" and strengths though.

What I mean by flavours is different tilts in the overall frequency response, e.g. HD800s have more treble and less bass RELATIVE to all your other choices; the reverse is true with LCD3 (and to a lesser degree, LCD2r2). HE6 is in between but closer to HD800 in flavour, while HD650s are also in between but closer to Audezes.

As for strengths, HD800s reign supreme in objective soundstage, separation; Audezes win in bass tactility/extension, sweetness of mids, unoffensive treble, and realistic timbre; HE6 in terms of air, dynamics, openness and is on par with detail extraction with HD800, on par with timbre with LCD3; lastly HD650 in terms of tonal balance, smoothness, and forgiveness to harsh tracks. Not that any of these are subpar in any of these categories, but the strengths highlight what they excel at compared to all other headphones at or below their price-range.

Now the choosing basically depends on your priorities.

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 8
LCD-3, with either the burson or if you want to save a bit of coin, the Alo Pan Am looks like the one to get

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 8
I have a Gungnir - Cary SLP05 - Mjolnir.  I have had HD650s, HD800s, LCD 2.2, LCD3 and LCD 3 Fazor.  I am keeping the LCD 3 Fazors. The sound with the Gungnir/Mjolnir is excellent. I prefer it to the Burson.  I have not directly done a side by side with the Headroom products so I cannot speak to that.  The Schiit customer service is excellent. I have had several Schiit products and have been uniformly pleased with the sound quality/ price point they provided.  For me the sound quality (smooth, balanced, clear) of the LCD 3 Fazors is worth the money.  The draw back to LCD 3s for me has been the weight.  They are heavy and that wears after a while.  The sound quality of the HD800s is also excellent but they were difficult to listen to for extended periods of time.  I have a hard time articulating the challenge with the HD800s.  The were so detailed and revealing and crisp the music go lost in the details.  On the flip side they were light and more comfortable than any headphone I have owned.  To paraphrase Jerg there is no right or wrong answer, its all a function of your priorities.

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 8
Listening too HD650s tonight. Great combination of sound and comfort.  After the LCD3s the 650s feel weghtless. They also free up a lot of money for DAC and Amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back