I'm torn...HD650's or SA5000's
May 26, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #16 of 33
Just an additional thought. Even though I started off as a HD600 fan (or maybe because of it), I wouldn't call it a mistake, but I consider my foray into the HD650+Zu a lesson that cost me about $200 (the hit I took when I sold them).

Best,

-Jason

May 27, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #17 of 33
Well after reading all of your responses (and very good ones, I thank you all) I'm deciding to go ahead with my original plan of getting the HD650's. I already know I love the Sennheiser house sound, and I'll have my Oehlbach cable ready to use when the HD650's arrive as well. I'm going to hang on to the HD580's though, maybe I'll give them to my brother
580smile.gif
If it so happens that I don't like the HD650's after a nice burn-in period, I'll jump ships and place an order for some SA5000'S.

However, the SA1000's are priced low enough that I think I'll be able to afford them, granted that I like what I hear at the upcoming Pittsburgh meet.

I should have known better too, as I'm the type that sticks with what I like. Hell, I've gone through about 20 pairs of the same running shoes! I also have plans of replacing my current Millet with something a bit more beefier too.
wink.gif

May 27, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #18 of 33
If you like the 580's you'll love the 650's - they improve in all the areas where the 580's are lacking. I've tried the CD3K's but went back to the 650's in short time, I just can't get enough of that smooth, balanced, non-fatiguing Sennheiser sound. I haven't heard the SA5K's but from what people describe they sound too much like the CD3K's, so I doubt I would enjoy them.

May 27, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #19 of 33
For what it's worth, I do own both and have them in front of me at the moment. I've had ample opportunity to compare the two with both tube and solid state amps. The HD650 and the SA5K are both excellent, IMO, but as others have said, they are very different animals.

The Sonys are bright, forward and colder. The Senns are darker, detached and warm. Sonys are fast and crisp; the Senns are less so. The Sony bass response is sharp and transient, very contained, very on-off. The Senn bass seems to appear earlier and to go deeper with more authority.

I prefer the Sonys for most of my listening, but I'd recommend the thread starter lean toward the Senns. He likes the Senn house sound, and it synergizes well with his present setup GS makes a good point about the tube amp. I think the SA5K works better paired with solid state equipment that reinforces the speed and brilliance of the sound. The Senns have an affinity for the warmth of tubes.

As far as build quality is concerned, I've seen no evidence that the Sony's are deficient. There was one report of breakage that I recall. They probably aren't as sturdy as the Senns, but I wouldn't expect them to fail in normal usage.

Obviously, auditioning both headphones would be optimal, but the Sonys seem to be a bigger risk than the Senns if they must be bought without being heard first.

All IMO, of course.

Regards,

BW

May 27, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #20 of 33
Thanks Bill, your post was very reassuring. Maybe I'll end up with both some day, but for now, I think the safest route is going to be going with the HD650's.

[size=xx-small]I AM searching for good deals on the SA1000's though!
biggrin.gif
[/size]

May 28, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #21 of 33
Get a better source. Like a dac. Your hd580 will love you for it. You allready have a nice amp, you just need a better source than the 0404. The difference will be bigger than switching to the hd650.

May 28, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #22 of 33
I think the improvement provided by the 650 over the 580/600 has been understated here and there.

May 28, 2005 at 10:51 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
I think the improvement provided by the 650 over the 580/600 has been understated here and there.

I'm listening to the hd650 now (hasn't burned in), and at the moment it is a bit of a letdown. The treble is way lower than in my old hd580 and the attacks seem a lot softer. Lower bass has improved though.

May 28, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
I'm listening to the hd650 now (hasn't burned in), and at the moment it is a bit of a letdown. The treble is way lower than in my old hd580 and the attacks seem a lot softer. Lower bass has improved though.

This is no news at all, but if you're patient, you'll start to see the light in 150 hours.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

May 29, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #26 of 33
I'm burning it as hard I can but she can't take it anymore! Smoke is coming out of her grills!

Hmm. 150 hours? That's like a month. Aaargh. And now I even notice the infamous Sennheiser veil, which I didn't notice at all with my hd580. Heres hoping it will open up a bit with more burn.

May 29, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Hmm. 150 hours? That's like a month.

6.25 days to be exact
tongue.gif

May 29, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #28 of 33
Breakpoint:

Franz Schubert Symphony Number 8
First Movement-Allegro moderato
Neville Marriner, Conductor
Academy Of St. Martin-In-The-Fields
Recorded London 8/1983 DDD

I've had this recording forever. All the speakers I've owned, including Magnepan 3.6+subwoofer+Bryston, Ohm Walsh F, upward-firing Allisons, and all the headphones I've owned, up until now, could not handle the full orchestral instrumental surge during the first movement combined with the sometimes very soft bass drums. The typical output is a surge of strings followed by some degree of boomy muddy mess when the drums and bass strings come into play. There are other segments in this piece where a layer of drumming underlies the wind section or the string section and the result is still mud. The SA5K is able to resolve the midrange beautifully but once again, the bass is rolled off and there is a low level boomy sound, and the result is a shrill string section without the entire bass foundation. There is a tendency to increase the volume to attempt to increase the bass output which of course only makes the other ranges too loud. The HD650 resolves the instruments fully; the violin section hovers clearly over a persistent low volume very low bass output by bass strings and drums. It's also evident that the recording is not that good, but the Senns clarify it and flesh out the bass and it is no longer a glob of sound. Yay.

May 29, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Hmm. 150 hours? That's like a month. Aaargh. And now I even notice the infamous Sennheiser veil, which I didn't notice at all with my hd580. Heres hoping it will open up a bit with more burn.

Just keep them running day and night. It doesn't take long to hear the differences. I heard huge difference already after 40-50 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back