I'm starting it here... Sennheiser IE8 vs. Westone 3
Dec 7, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #31 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heya HiFlight, by chance did you order from computeruniverse.net? If so, this is gonna be one LONG month and Christmas for me.
frown.gif

I am looking forward to your IE8 and W3 comparison btw.

Yes, I did order from computeruniverse.net. They do not use DHL all the way. Once the shipment hits the USA, it goes by parcel post. Very slow. Also there was no end in the package, and the Sennheiser box just slid out. A miracle that I didn't get an empty box. Needless to say, it will be my last order from this company.

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #32 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm leaning more towards the W3s mainly do to it being $399.99 plus the 20% rebate. a BIG bonus vs. the IE8 $449.99 price tag.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the 20% rebate? (just joined and have been digging into this IEM...)
confused_face.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #33 of 269
I now own both IE 8 and Westone 3 IEM's. I really didn't intend to do this, but I purchased the IE 8's several weeks ago and then soon thereafter found out that the long-delayed Westone's were finally going to appear. What could I do? I know, I could have not bought the Westones, but I couldn't resist after all the buildup and hype.

If there is really such a thing as burn-in for IEM's then my opinions here have to be tempered by the fact that I haven't listened with either product long enough to include sufficient burn-in time. I personally think that for IEM's burn-in is a mental/psychological phenomenon, but that's a subject for a different thread
bigsmile_face.gif

My on-the-fly verdict so far is that both IEM's are very good and anyone who purchases either should end up happy. One thing about the Senns that I did not like was the "earhooks" that are intended to help wrap the cable over the ears. Didn't seem comfortable to me so I ditched mine. The Senns are now comfortable and I like the soft-rubberized cable. I haven't made much use of the adjustable bass. I have it set on the second notch most of the time and I turn it down to the lowest setting for spoken vocal materials.

Overall, the IE 8's are smooth and have a pleasant, just slightly mellow sound signature. Nice tight bass, though, and good detail.

The Westones are a bit more "live" and three-dimensional. For electronic and rock music I find this sound signature more pleasing, but for classical I kind of prefer the Senns. The Westones are really quite amazing and if I had to choose one or the other I'd take the Westones. One thing about the Westones I don't like is that the cables from the earpieces are a little short, meaning that the junction where they merge into a single cable ends up a little high, not far beneath one's chin. For gym workouts this is just very slightly unsatisfactory. That's a minor quibble; otherwise, the Westones are truly fabulous.

I confess I was a little nervous about ordering the Westones because a few years ago I purchased the Westone 2's and I really disliked them. I returned them to the dealer, something I almost never do. But the 3's are another matter altogether, a real winner.

Now I guess it's time for me to update my Head-Fi signature.

Dec 8, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #35 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by DougGreenberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I confess I was a little nervous about ordering the Westones because a few years ago I purchased the Westone 2's and I really disliked them. I returned them to the dealer, something I almost never do. But the 3's are another matter altogether, a real winner.

Assuming you meant the UM2, what didn't you like about it?

Dec 8, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #36 of 269
Ok, it wasn't my intention to emphasize the negative in my post (i.e., my disappointment in the UM2's), but I'll answer the question. I thought the UM2's were muddy overall---they lacked fine detail, displayed overly recessed treble, showed irritatingly "thumpy" characteristics when reproducing drums, and overall were simply too unrefined for my taste. My standard for the reproduction of fine detail has been the Etymotic 4 series, and by comparison the Westones seemed coarse--to me, disappointing.

On the positive side, the Westone 3's are way, way, way, way better. Excellent and crisp detail, strong but tight bass, great balance.

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #37 of 269
Thanks for the IE8 and W3 comparison, Doug. It's good to see more IE8/W3 owners and reading about their thoughts. When you mentioned your preference for the IE8 when it comes to Classical music, why exactly? Was it the way both phones present the highs? Or just the overall sound signature?

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #38 of 269
I owned both the IE8 and Westone 3, as of now, I still prefer the IE8 to the Westone 3. Soundstage from the IE8 is just unbeatable by any IEM, it's so huge which is perfect for classical music and doesn't sounds like an IEM at all unlike the Westone 3 which still gives me the feeling that i'm using an IEM.

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #39 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
considering that the IE8 will cost me 220 euros and the Westone 3 close to 350, i think im going to stick to the sennhaiser,

It's funny that you mentioned the price difference.

Here in The States, It's just the opposite. The Senns go for $499.00 US and the Westone 3's go for $399.00 US. I tried to buy some IE8's off of Amazon.UK but they wouldn't ship to the states.

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #40 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny that you mentioned the price difference.

Here in The States, It's just the opposite. The Senns go for $499.00 US and the Westone 3's go for $399.00 US. I tried to buy some IE8's off of Amazon.UK but they wouldn't ship to the states.

This place ships to the US and it's a great price for the Sennheiser IE8. Don't know how long it will take to deliver though. HiFlight ordered from them and it took him a month to get his. I put in a order 2 days ago so will see when they arrive.

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #43 of 269
daymit i wish i can try both of these before i buy. question are the IE8 triple driver as well? i don't believe they are but i.m not sure.

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #44 of 269
Single dynamic neodymium drivers. I'm really against numbers of drivers or what-not. But based on impressions from head-fiers whose posts I've been reading and gone familiar with their tastes, I think Westone has a winner IMHO. At least for now.
biggrin.gif

I believe both IE8 and W3 have different 'flavors'. All impressions are based on who likes vanilla or chocolate. There's no right or wrong answer to the whole public, only for the person and his 'taste'. That's why I like reading more specifics from the posters (gear, genre of music, specific frequency observations, timbre, tips used, which big cans preferred, etc.).

I might end up owning both, and selling my second choice. Or keep both.
frown.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #45 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the IE8 and W3 comparison, Doug. It's good to see more IE8/W3 owners and reading about their thoughts. When you mentioned your preference for the IE8 when it comes to Classical music, why exactly? Was it the way both phones present the highs? Or just the overall sound signature?

Actually, neither IEM can reproduce those delicate highs quite as nicely as my venerable Etymotic ER-4's; both produce treble frequencies that are just a tad recessed by comparison. But the Etys' lack of bass punch is fatal when it comes to many kinds of music.

Westone 3 vs. Sennheiser IE 8: the Westones bring the music more up-front and close-in; the Senns seem to push the orchestra back just a little, and this results in a slightly smoother sound. To my ears, this is a more pleasing rendition for classical music.

Let me add that the Westones seem to respond very dramatically to EQ adjustments, more so than the Senns. I don't know why that is, but it makes it more possible to optimize various kinds of recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back