I'm so confused! Help picking a pair of cans for work.
Jun 1, 2005 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

rhooper

Head-Fier
I'm so confused. There are so many people talking about what's a good phone... but I can't find the advice i'm looking for, partly because there's so damn much of it!
smily_headphones1.gif

I love my Grado SR-80s, but they're too open for the noisy workplace -- and they'd leak too much if played loud enough to actually hear anything. They're also too fragile for frequent transport to/from work.

I'm looking for an affordable set of phones that:
- don't leak too much sound
- are not overly isolated -- I need to be able to hear people as they walk into my office and start talking to me.
- sound acceptable after getting used to the Grados
- aren't ungodly uncomfortable like the iPod stock buds

These phones aren't for critical listening, but they will be used a lot. That means they need to be comfortable. They will be hooked up to an iPod, but via line-out and a CMoy or better amp -- thus impedance is somewhat unimportant.

Buds are acceptable, as are open cans that dont leak too much. Closed cans are fine too if they dont isolate too much. Because of this requirement, critical listening isn't really possible at work. That gets left for at home, in a quiet room, with the lights off.

One gotcha: I've got a fairly wide head, I think. I dont like phones that squash my ears too much. Adjustable pressure (like the Grados bendable band) is needed for any full size phones.

Feel free to point me at other posts or tell me what to search for.

I'd like to avoid spending too much on the phones. My wife's already grumpy that I've spent as much as I have on the iPod, building the CMoy, and my Grado SR-80s.

Jun 1, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 18
In my opinion, the Beyerdynamic DT231 fits all of your criteria.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 18
try the ksc-35 or ksc-75!

Jun 1, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhooper
I love my Grado SR-80s, but they're too open for the noisy workplace -- and they'd leak too much if played loud enough to actually hear anything. They're also too fragile for frequent transport to/from work.

If your workplace is noisy, wouldn't that drown out the Grados at leakage?
confused.gif

I think if you like Grados, you should test them out at work for a while. I use Alessandro MS1s, and my cubicle mates can't hear any leakage unless they come to my cubicle to talk to me...or when everyone leaves.

If thats a no no, then I second Jahn's choice. KSC-75 are great, and your wife should be happy with the price!

Jun 1, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 18
The Sennheiser PX200 or PXC250 would be very comfortable, closed enough not to leak, but not closed enough to keep you from hearing people speaking, hearing the phone ring, etc.

The PXC250 has active noise reduction which does not silence the world but which does mute it a little bit: it's as if someone switched off all the air conditioners, and moved everything else an extra 20 feet away from you. It makes the world a bit less intrusive, without actually separating you from it.

IMO the PXC250 is a better-sounding headphone than the PX200. But I think either one might serve your purpose.

Jun 1, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 18
I second the PX200. It's closed but doesn't isolate too much (can be good or bad depending on the situation) and offers decent sound quality, and can be had for less than $50. Very comfortable too. I use mine at work (office setting) and it works great, although it isolates a little too much for my environment (it's usually pretty quiet in my area and I have to take them off to overhear conversations).
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

I'm so confused. There are so many people talking about what's a good phone... but I can't find the advice i'm looking for, partly because there's so damn much of it!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking for an affordable set of phones that:
- don't leak too much sound
- are not overly isolated -- I need to be able to hear people as they walk into my office and start talking to me.
- sound acceptable after getting used to the Grados
- aren't ungodly uncomfortable like the iPod stock buds

These phones aren't for critical listening, but they will be used a lot. That means they need to be comfortable. They will be hooked up to an iPod, but via line-out and a CMoy or better amp -- thus impedance is somewhat unimportant.

Buds are acceptable, as are open cans that dont leak too much. Closed cans are fine too if they dont isolate too much. Because of this requirement, critical listening isn't really possible at work. That gets left for at home, in a quiet room, with the lights off.

One gotcha: I've got a fairly wide head, I think. I dont like phones that squash my ears too much. Adjustable pressure (like the Grados bendable band) is needed for any full size phones.

Feel free to point me at other posts or tell me what to search for.

I'd like to avoid spending too much on the phones. My wife's already grumpy that I've spent as much as I have on the iPod, building the CMoy, and my Grado SR-80s.

You didn't say an exact budget, so I'll assume $100 is the limit. If so, think about AKG 240S -- they isolate way better than Grado, and have large cups, and a comfortable "self-adjusting" headband. I started using them as my work cans recently (the Senn 280 pro was too isolating). Most of all, they are good all-around cans and work well with the ipod line-out/amp combo, IMHO.

Jun 2, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
You didn't say an exact budget, so I'll assume $100 is the limit. If so, think about AKG 240S -- they isolate way better than Grado, and have large cups, and a comfortable "self-adjusting" headband. I started using them as my work cans recently (the Senn 280 pro was too isolating). Most of all, they are good all-around cans and work well with the ipod line-out/amp combo, IMHO.

K240s-55, simiar signature to grado, little more bass heavy, semi-closed, big and comfey... look no further

Not very portable though... but who cares they sound that good.

Jun 2, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 18
I'm tempted to get the PX100s or the Porta Pro.

I guess given the noise level, a bit of leakage is ok...

Jun 2, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink

Looking for sources for the AKGs and reviews on them now.
Also tempted by a pair of MS-1s but... same problem as the SR-80s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Right, the MS-1's will not achieve most of your stated objectives.

Do you have a dollar figure you need to stick to? If you can spend up to $150, you might also think about Senn HD 555 (http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-555.php). If you have less to spend, then I agree with the suggestion of Beyer DT 231 (http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/pr...uct.php?id=232).

Jun 2, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Right, the MS-1's will not achieve most of your stated objectives.

Do you have a dollar figure you need to stick to? If you can spend up to $150, you might also think about Senn HD 555 (http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-555.php). If you have less to spend, I agree with the suggestion of Beyer DT 231 (http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/pr...uct.php?id=232).

Jun 2, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #15 of 18
My Grados do just fine in the workplace. They are loud enough to enjoy, but they still allow me to hear the phone ring. They aren't that fragile, either. I would suggest inventing a method for their transportation, or just get a bag to carry it all safely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back