IM seriously FLUSTERD!
Nov 19, 2002 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

PAGEFAULT

Head-Fier
Im feel very in adequate right now. I just got my MG Head in the mail today. Wow! I *LOOKS* great. Feels very solid. I plug it in and try it out with some CD's. Ok, sounds just like my reciver. So I let it warm up on to the radio for 3 hours, and then watch some tv. I put some CDs in and try it out again. Now Im worried, I cant tell the differecnce from my reciver. Now I know something is wrong. I listend to a old tube amp a long time ago with same headphones (hd580's stock) and the difference was night and day between tube and SS. Here, I cant even tell its a tube! What is wrong with me! Even with stock everyth ing I should beable to head the difference between the reciver and the mg head. Not to mention this is a cheap reciver im comaparing it to! Im really pissed off. I dont know what to do! I remember switching from the Senhiser DSP Pro to the reciver and it was much much better. Why isnt the mg head so good? Do I just not have the 'EAR' to be able to tell the difference? Ok here are the stats of my setup if that helps:

Sen 580s stock
Acoustic research interconects gold plated
JVC xv-d723 dvd audio/video player
JVC rx-552v reciver (fairly cheap, dolby pro logic)

One other thing, I hooked my headphones and listend to the radio and cd's with my dads 15 year old SS reciver and it sounds better than the mg head. Im seriously flustered!
confused.gif

EDIT: Im using the OTL plug /w the feed back switch on the downsosition (off). LOL on odd note. If there is no input and the volume os all the way off, i can bearly hear someone talking. What?!

EDIT2: Sorry for being so crazy and incoherent, but I was so damm excited about this AMP and am quite disapointed right now
rolleyes.gif

EDIT3 : It came with a jj ECC 83s and two tubes that say "97=*=10" and "6p14"

Nov 19, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #2 of 19
If you do a search of the amplifier forum for MG Head you will find some good information on suggested EL84s and 12AX7s or 5751s that you can swap for the stock tubes to bring you closer to the great sound that tube amps can provide.

Most any vintage tube, and many newer ones too will be better than what ships with the amp.

Nov 19, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by mkmelt
If you do a search of the amplifier forum for MG Head you will find some good information on suggested EL84s and 12AX7s or 5751s that you can swap for the stock tubes to bring you closer to the great sound that tube amps can provide.

Most any vintage tube, and many newer ones too will be better than what ships with the amp.

I know that, but even with stock tubes shouldnt I hear SOME difference? I know they arnt the greatest tubes but should I not hear something? I honestly cant tell the dirffrence in the slightest, that is what im worried about. Will tube rolling really help?

Nov 19, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 19
Man am I going to get flamed for this, but if this thing is brand new, you might consider burning in those tubes and the whole rig for a few days.

Next, get some decent tubes and see what you think after that. Many have stated, like Nick Dangerous and others that this thing doesn't start to sing until you roll in some decent tubes!! Read his review, or the one called Joe's Tube Lore. These can be found

JOE'S TUBE LORE

and here:

NICK'S STUFF

Don't get discouraged, I got my Reality headphone amp and was totally disappointed for weeks. Then the tubes started rolling in, literally, and teh smiles started and never went away!!! Give it time and you'll be amazed at what that thing can do!!!

Nov 19, 2002 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 19
Ok
smily_headphones1.gif
Well, I got a NOS Raytheon 12AU7 and a matched pair of esla (JJ) EL84 / 6BQ5 from 'thetubestore.com'. I guess I'll just leave the damm thing on for a few days connected to my radio and see how things turn out. I guess I over reacted, its just that 300$, now 346$ with the new tubes is allot. Wish me luck and thanks for your help!

Nov 19, 2002 at 8:02 AM Post #6 of 19
No problem PageFault!! Let us know how things go after a few days of running it and trying out some new tubes!! I just left my Reality running all day long for day after day breaking in tubes, cables, CDP, amp, etc. AFter four days of all this it sounded great. I expect the same will happen for you!

Nov 19, 2002 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 19
No flames here! I totaly agree with you ServinginEcuador.

PAGEFAULT;
Let that bad boy burn in for several days or more then give it a listen. Do you have any other I/C's to swap? Did you plug the Head into a "power strip".
Quote:

If there is no input and the volume os all the way off, i can bearly hear someone talking. What?!

Try another power outlet, mover your I/C's around you maybe picking up RF "radio".

Nov 19, 2002 at 9:57 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by mkmelt

The guy just bought a $350 headphone amp, and you're saying that it'll take him spending MORE money on a new set of tubes to attain any semblance of an upgrade from a typical receiver jack?! Jesus, something's not right here.

Nov 21, 2002 at 7:12 AM Post #10 of 19
Ok I have burned-in the amp for a few days now, it does sound a little better than my reciver, but I can bearly tell. All I hear is a little cleaner sound and the bass is better. I spent 40$ to replace the 3 tubes, but I regret that. They should be here in a week or so. So why such little performace? Do I just not have the ears for it? Im 19 y/o with no hearing problems that I know of. After I get the tubes I guess Im going to sell it, not quite sure yet. Thanks for all your guys help but I just can't hear good sound i guess *shrug*

Nov 21, 2002 at 7:22 AM Post #11 of 19
You said the sound is cleaner and you got better bass.
Sell your unit to someone who will appreciate it more
evil_smiley.gif

I'm sure others would appreciate that upgrade in sound more than you do
frown.gif
If you want the wow factor, then step up to the plate
very_evil_smiley.gif

There are other tube amps in the $600 to $1500 range.
Rock and Roll!
md

Nov 21, 2002 at 7:32 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
You said the sound is cleaner and you got better bass.
Sell your unit to someone who will appreciate it more
evil_smiley.gif

I'm sure others would appreciate that upgrade in sound more than you do
frown.gif
If you want the wow factor, then step up to the plate
very_evil_smiley.gif

There are other tube amps in the $600 to $1500 range.
Rock and Roll!
md

LOL! If i cant tell the difference between a 150$ reciver and 300$ head phonoamp (ok, i can A LITTLE) will spending 5x more really help!? besides Id upgrade my cd player before the amp IMO!

Nov 21, 2002 at 7:41 AM Post #13 of 19
Before you go ahead and lose money and time, can you borrow a better CD only player so you can verify that IT isn't the weakest link in the system?? It's free to do so and may solve your problem!!

Another option: maybe even find a place that gives a 15-30 trial period and try another unit out.

How old is your current unit?? I ask for two reasons: one, older units came with much lower quality DACs and such. And two, most people will agree that the vast majority of DVD units make horrible CD playback units. (There are exceptions such as the Sony 500 and others, but this is normally true!) A newer unit with a higher sampling rate may make a drastic improvement on your unit.

Nov 21, 2002 at 7:50 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Before you go ahead and lose money and time, can you borrow a better CD only player so you can verify that IT isn't the weakest link in the system?? It's free to do so and may solve your problem!!

Another option: maybe even find a place that gives a 15-30 trial period and try another unit out.

How old is your current unit?? I ask for two reasons: one, older units came with much lower quality DACs and such. And two, most people will agree that the vast majority of DVD units make horrible CD playback units. (There are exceptions such as the Sony 500 and others, but this is normally true!) A newer unit with a higher sampling rate may make a drastic improvement on your unit.

Ok lets say hypotheticly that my DVD player sucks big time. even if it did suck big time would I not still hear the diffrence between amps? or does the difference become bigger with a better cd player? Anywere I can test a good ~350$ cd player in seattle? Magnoia High Fi perhaps?

EDIT: I have listened to the radio now for a while and switch the headphones from reciver to amp and back many many times. I can start to hear a little more. Altho its not worth the 340$ i spend on the amp, i guess Im going to keep it. Right now I have very few cd. I wont speed money on any more hardware untill I have 50 cd's. (I have had mp3s forever, never bought cds untill two months ago). Plus I just learned that I have been having sinus problems and my ear drums arnt moving like they should (kinda like before your ears pop on a airplane) and this could effect my hearing. Aparently I have had this for years and my headaches are from it, go figure!

Nov 21, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by PAGEFAULT
or does the difference become bigger with a better cd player?

Before answering, I warn you to guard your wallet!!! I just upgraded my CDP to an Arcam FMJ CD23, and the differences are absolutely incredible over my already really good CDP I had!!!! The music is just a million times more enjoyable now, has more "soul" is more impactful, etc, etc.

The long and the short, YES!! A change in CDPs can make a huge difference!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back