I'm searching for this kind of headphone. Recommendations?
Feb 4, 2020 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

capsilver

New Head-Fier
Hi there HF. I'm going to go straight to the point. I want a pair of headphones that:
  1. Closed backed
  2. Can wear for more than 2 hours.
  3. $150 - $200 price range
  4. Sounds great for most modern music
  5. Has great bass extension
  6. Low impedance
  7. Doesn't look like crap
  8. Not too big
Any other suggestions beside the m50x and the DT 770 Pro?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 26
The old Sennheiser HD250 checks all of your boxes,except for #6 and #7. Probably the best headphone ive heard for #5.

Feb 4, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 26
Feb 4, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 26
Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 26
AKG K371

Feb 5, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #6 of 26
Sennheiser HD250
Mmm i've tried the HD 25 and i loved their textured sound, but they are on-ear. How is the 250 sound compared to the 25?
Mmm they look big, like Fidelio X2 big. Also i'm not a fan of the wooden parts, any black version?
1MORE TRIPLE-DRIVER over-ear headphones.

Doesn't cover looks and comfort.

A good monoprice closedback dj headphones probably covers all your requirements. Like this https://www.monoprice.com/product/index?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2

They probably uofated the headphones for something better since I owned those.
Comfort is important if i planning to use them all day.
Damn those Monoprice are cheap and they cover all my points? I should test them.
Many people told me about these one, they are relatively new too. I read this review and it semm that they deliver: https://medium.com/@Xander51/headphone-showdown-akg-k371-vs-beyerdynamic-dt770-pro-e9692006272
But it seem that the build quality is far from good.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #7 of 26
Hi there HF. I'm going to go straight to the point. I want a pair of headphones that:
  1. Closed backed
  2. Can wear for more than 2 hours.
  3. $150 - $200 price range
  4. Sounds great for most modern music
  5. Has great bass extension
  6. Low impedance
  7. Doesn't look like crap
  8. Not too bigAny other suggestions beside the m50x and the DT 770 Pro?
  1. Soundmagic HP200 headphones, like an improved DT770.

Feb 5, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #9 of 26
SONY MDR-1AM2. End of story, close thread, you're welcome.

For real though it checks every box, unlike most other suggestions here.

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #10 of 26
SONY MDR-1AM2. End of story, close thread, you're welcome.

For real though it checks every box, unlike most other suggestions here.

Holy extreme V. I guess that has bass extension for OP, but it would not be my preference. XD

sony_mdr-1am2_frequency_response_rch_20180325.png

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #11 of 26
Holy extreme V. I guess that has bass extension for OP, but it would not be my preference. XD

sony_mdr-1am2_frequency_response_rch_20180325.png
Don’t let squiggly likes on paper tell you how something sounds to your ears. The 1AM2 lacks nothing. It is tuned for a consumer friendly sound, meaning it will sound fantastic with modern music, like the OP wants. I use it for listening to a lot of prog rock like Tool and they are one of my favorite headphones. Plus I drive them primarily from an Activo CT10, which is a low powered DAP.

Feb 5, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 26
There is a black version of the Meze 99 Classics, it's the Meze Neo 99.

Feb 5, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #13 of 26
I think they fixed the AKG K371 build quality problems, I've had mine for about a month now of daily use in the office and they're great.
No issues with pads, cables, frame, cups, drivers, anything. maybe i got a "unicorn" pair thats 100% perfect but i doubt it.
their quality control issues may of been a launch period kinda problem, but im sure they've ironed the issues out by now.

Feb 5, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #14 of 26
I think they fixed the AKG K371 build quality problems, I've had mine for about a month now of daily use in the office and they're great.
No issues with pads, cables, frame, cups, drivers, anything. maybe i got a "unicorn" pair thats 100% perfect but i doubt it.
their quality control issues may of been a launch period kinda problem, but im sure they've ironed the issues out by now.
A month of daily use is hardly indicative of its' quality, to be fair. I've been using the 1AM2 5 days a week, 5-6 hours a day for 15 months and it's still very solid. The finish on it still looks brand new, the pads are still good. The joints are more loose than they were a year ago, but that's the only difference. The finish on these things is legit! I seriously can't find a single blemish and I've bumped my head into all kinds of things! The 1AM2 continues to impress me, I seriously can't sing its' praises enough!

Feb 5, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #15 of 26
A month of daily use is hardly indicative of its' quality, to be fair. I've been using the 1AM2 5 days a week, 5-6 hours a day for 15 months and it's still very solid. The finish on it still looks brand new, the pads are still good. The joints are more loose than they were a year ago, but that's the only difference. The finish on these things is legit! I seriously can't find a single blemish and I've bumped my head into all kinds of things! The 1AM2 continues to impress me, I seriously can't sing its' praises enough!
I use them legit 8hrs a day, as i work at a video game company, so audio is important.
I was considering the sony 1am2 but at almost double the price here in canada, it wasnt worth since i use these 99% of the time at work exclusively. The k317 are half the cost of the sony, and these cups are way more comfortable and larger. So.. it was a tough sell for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back