I'm not an audiophile...
Nov 14, 2002 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

x1lexure

100+ Head-Fier
I've been realizing how un-trained my ears are for the last few weeks. I can only slightly tell the diffrence between when my Grado 225s are unamped and when they're coming out of my D-25. It's not the huge diffrence I expected, and I have figured out why. I have low-tone deafness and very slight damge to my ears. Turns out the numerous ear infections I had as a child really hurt me. I have decided to buy a Beyer 770 Pro and perhaps a Creek amp and never change my setup again as I fear it would be a waste. I won't leave the board but I sure has heck will be helping my wallet. It makes me really sad.

Nov 14, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 11
whether the 225 is or isn't the right headphone for you is debatable, but you aren't giving them a chance without proper amplification. i haven't heard a d25s but the headphone shows a marked improvement when given an outboard amp. the idea that grados don't need an amp might apply to the sr-60, but not to the rest of the line.

for your next step a wiser choice would be to diy or comission a meta42 and reevaluate your system's sound. worst case is you sell the grados and pick up another headphone - but still have a high quality amp.

best,
carlo.

(re: the title of your post - yes you are.
wink.gif
)

Nov 14, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 11
"I have low-tone deafness and very slight damge to my ears."

Excuse my interjection in this lovely conversation carlo....

*Ahem*

X1lexure,

Yes, didnt your mom tell you about how your grandma hurt her ears listening to headphones?? YOu must come home from school then cry yourself to sleep everynight huh???

sincerely
ai0

Nov 14, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 11
x1lexure
Way to be original with the title. Anyway, I don't mean to start up some kind of war about the quality of HeadRoom's Airhead, but it is the cheapest amp they sell and that Sony D25S you have, while I'm not a huge fan of its DAC, does have a somewhat potent output on it. In other words, the Airhead was basically designed to give players that don't have enough power the kind of power you're hearing out of the D25S. The truth is -- there probably just isn't tons of difference there to hear.

If you're concerned about your hearing, you should visit an ENT and have a hearing test done. I would not make any assumptions about your hearing until you've done that.

And one other thing... acuity is not simply the measure of ones' physical ability to hear. There are lots of folks with perfectly good hearing according to their ENTs who simply can't manage to pull out the subtle differences between components... and... some people who have significant hearing damage still manage to, including many of the old farts on Head-Fi.

Nov 14, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 11
I never expected to read things like this here. Could you guys email each other? Why go public? Why use Head-fi for that? You are not alone here.

Ari

Nov 14, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Ari
I never expected to read things like this here. Could you guys email each other? Why go public? Why use Head-fi for that? You are not alone here.

heh, looks like ari beat me to it. seriously though guys, this is pretty much uneccessary. just discuss this among yourselves before it goes too far in this thread...

Nov 14, 2002 at 6:33 AM Post #9 of 11
AS for the tinnitus thing, I actually have tinnitus as well from ear infections I had as a kid. Its no big deal, if you cant hear you cant hear, the only solution is hearing aids.

I wouldnt get the creek amp, of course if your def what does it matter.

Nov 14, 2002 at 7:35 AM Post #10 of 11
i am waiting for a d25s, a pair of senn hd497, a pana sl-sx410, a pair of porta pro and an airhead.

i am not a audiophile, it s gonna be my first pair of real headphones. once the senn will have been burned (40hrs i read somewhere here), i ll say you anyway if an "untrained" ear has to hear a difference. (if i remembered all the review, i ve a serious doubt, my airhead is first for the pana, not really for the d25s)

btw, i ve an outstanding "normal" audition. i had one of the best scores at the audition test of the military recruitment. i don't know if it s so good, you re easily disturbed by outside sounds. and i don't think too that audiophilie has mainly something to do with your own capacities (of course, it plays a role, don't make me say what i do not mean). i see it more like wine-tasting. it s a long way to taste and enjoy the difference between a good wine and a really good wine (but so easy to see the difference between real **** and correct stuff). it has everything to do with education of the taste.

Nov 14, 2002 at 8:01 AM Post #11 of 11
x1,
I can only say if you liked your Grados, you won't like the beyers. I heard the 931s and 831s and was not pleased. I am awaiting the 880s!
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back