I'm new and need some insight...
Jun 21, 2005 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Spanky

Head-Fier
First of all, what a great place this is.

Now, down to business: First I need to say I'm from Ottawa, Canada, so when I'm gonna talk money, it's going to be in canadian currency.

My birthday is next week and I'm shopping around for some cans. My price range is from $150 to $250. I have 3 diffrent brands in mind but am open to suggestions, but keep in mind that the audio shops around here don't carry all of the high end brands. I'm willing to look at the option of ordering online, but usually that doesn't come with the same garantee I can get from an audio shop.

Here are the 3 models: Sennheiser HD 600 (?$), Grado SR-225 (sells for 300$ new but I can get a demo model for 230$) and the AKG K-240 (no specifications as to which model of the 240's but they're 200$).

I used to own some Sennheisers HD 435 Manhattan and liked them very much, though lacking in the high mids and they had started to rattle a bit, but the big part of me changing them is that my girlfriend's kittens got to the cord and cut it.

I tried both the Grado 125 and the 225 and found the 225's soundstage pretty superior to the 125, so that's why I'm considering these. Haven't had the chance to sample the AKG's yet (they're out of stock down here) and have only tested the Sennheiser HD 570's, but I hear you can't compare it with the HD 600.

I'll stop here 'cause I could still go on and on with a bunch of details, but am curious first to see what some of you have to say.

Thanks a lot

Also, I forgot, they're unavailable to my knowledge in Canada, but I might be considering a pair of Sony MDR-3000...

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 17
welcome and sorry about your wallet!!

Grado/Alessandro all the way. Theyre the only cans dynamic enough to correctly replicate the sound of an overdriven guitar tube amp. Completely immersed in my MS2 for the moment. Its a little less colored than the SR225... more dry & accurate (IE it plays whats captured on tape.... no more ... no less).

Ive never been a fan of Satrianis marshall tone... too compressed and grainy sounding IMHO, lacking dynamics... Then I heard him for the first time on my MS2
eek.gif
eek.gif
. REAL eye opener... its turns out I never really HEARD him before.

SRVs tube tone absolutely sings.... just an incredible spine chilling presentation... IMHO of course.

Ive been using my MS2 for late night guitar practice through my line6 POD. Its great for that too, and as I mentioned the ONLY can I have that can correctly replicate guitar tones. Initially I doubted that Eric johnson really used them in the studio to monitor tracks... now Im not so sure given how accurate they are.

Garrett

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 17
Good point Gratefulshrink.

I love open cans, the soundstage, to me, is much superior with open cans

I don't have an amp yet and have yet to experience the difference. I listen to music (any kind, from Rock, pop, jazz, blues, live, techno, but definitely not country or western
wink.gif

I mainly use my sony discman and my PC at work, but am sure to get into amps 'cause I know you can't use the full potential of high end headphones with an amp.

Portability is important, but I'd carry just about any phones with me anywhere.

Ask away and I'll be glad to oblige

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 17
I don't get it, why am I being asked to leave, I just got here...

The only unoffensive reason would be that once you get into this stuff, it gets kind of relentless, wanting to always upgrade for better gear, which is a concept I can grasp, other wise, What?

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanky
The only unoffensive reason would be that once you get into this stuff, it gets kind of relentless, wanting to always upgrade for better gear.

That is the long and short of it.
wink.gif

Oh, and for what it is worth, I recommend the AKG K240S. Definately audition them before deciding on Grado's.

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 17
Welcome Spanky. I'm from Ottawa too.

Definitely take your time shopping, half the fun is the thrill of hunting down the right cans for you.

Being here in Canada, especially Ottawa, our options are a lot more limited. I've bought stuff over from across the border whenever it was worth it....but of course, you have to know what you want.

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #10 of 17
Other than Dewar's audio, the audio shop, the audio centre, what other store in the region would you recommend...Dewar's is the only one I found to carry AKG's...

And does anyone NOT recommend buying online?

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

[...] I'm shopping around for some cans. My price range is from $150 to $250. I have 3 diffrent brands in mind but am open to suggestions[...]

Go for Grados! ... Or Sennheisers! ... Or AKG!
smily_headphones1.gif
Each one of the models you mentioned is great! However, he experience shows that later on you will want to try other cans... and you will discover that they sound fantastic and you will want them, too.
smily_headphones1.gif
And before you know it, you will end up with several models of headphones... As people here say, WELCOME TO THE HOBBY - SORRY ABOUT YOUR WALLET!
wink.gif

So toss a coin, pick one of the headphones you mentioned so the next time you will have to choose only from 2 different models.
smily_headphones1.gif
(Personally, I would go for the Grados SR225 because of the deal you can get - later you may not be so lucky.)

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

And does anyone NOT recommend buying online?

No...definitely consider it especially if you are going with a reputable/known dealer. I just ordered my ER-4S package from headroom at a great price. I also bought my Shure E3C and Ety ER-6i far cheaper than any Canadian dealer.

Dewar's sells practically everything at full MSRP, so it's your choice whether you want to pay that much. They are a full service dealer, so you pay for that privilege.

Grado's are the exception, since online dealers cannot export them, and you will have to pay the crazy marked up prices from the Canadian distributor. Marc at Audioshop gave me a decent price for the Grado's (but then again I've bought many things from him)

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Good point Gratefulshrink.

I love open cans, the soundstage, to me, is much superior with open cans

I don't have an amp yet and have yet to experience the difference. I listen to music (any kind, from Rock, pop, jazz, blues, live, techno, but definitely not country or western
wink.gif

I mainly use my sony discman and my PC at work, but am sure to get into amps 'cause I know you can't use the full potential of high end headphones with an amp.

Portability is important, but I'd carry just about any phones with me anywhere.

Ask away and I'll be glad to oblige

Well, I can't help with figuring out the price differential in Canada, but it seems like you could afford two quality cans, and still stay within your budget. Something like the Grado SR-60 plus maybe AKG 240S -- both are open/semi-open, and they compliment each other nicely. Both can do fine without an amp, but will sound even better when you do get your pocket amp V2 in a few more weeks.
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I know others will disagree, but I think having two pair of very good/great cans is better than one "amazing" pair.
cool.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

The only unoffensive reason would be that once you get into this stuff, it gets kind of relentless, wanting to always upgrade for better gear, which is a concept I can grasp, other wise, What?

You've hit it on the head- the two biggest phrases to folks here are:

"Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!"

and once you purchase something,

"Congrats! Now run far far away and never look back!"

But usually what happens is that you get a lil something, than something a lil more, then you get hooked, get stuff you marginally need, get multiples of things you don't need, you ask manufacturers to make new things just so you can buy them, you go bankrupt, your wallet divorces you...you get the idea! That was probably a friendly warning that's all!

As to your original question, if portable is important, get a cheapo can like the KSC-35 for 20 bucks on eBay from Creative right now, and pump the rest into getting that Alessandro MS-2 folks are suggesting - your preferences line right up with it from what you've posted.

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

It's just a joke kind of thing, as said before.
biggrin.gif
We don't actually expect you to leave.
biggrin.gif

Your wallet, however, will not like you after you come here. That's inevitable.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back