I'm new and need advice
May 14, 2015 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TheOneAndOnly09

New Head-Fier
Hello, joined this forum cause I just made the transition to hi fi and need help. Previously I always purchased music from like the google play store, but today I will be receiving the Sony nw zx2. and I don't think buying music from the google play store is the best way to get the most out of the player. are there other places to buy music other than hd tracks and prostudiomasters? also whats the best format? there are several types.  ohh also if i buy music from the pono music store, will it work with the zx2? or would i need a pono.  I'm new and just need some help.

May 14, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 18
Hey, I'm not sure, if my answer is helpful to you, but I advise buying CDs (yeah, oldschool :wink: ). That way you can choose whatever format you wish and I suppose the files you rip yourself will work on any portable player.

May 14, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 18
A CD??? What is that..... Loljk I didnt know CDs were uncompressed I thought when you rip a CD its automatically in mp3 format and couldnt be changed.... Ok great thanks because the catalogs in hifi music sites are limited.

May 14, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 18
As Swagrid said, CDs are good due to the simple fact that, you can rip it to whatever you want. And I am sure he is referring to the CDs you buy at a proper CD store. And not some bootleg or a CD made by a friend. 

Another decent source is iTunes, all its tracks are on 256kbps AAC. But wouldn't suffice your thirst for HD with a ZX2. HDtracks is a really good option, why don't you want to use it?

And just curious, what other equipment do you use?

May 14, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 18
HiRes DL Stores: HDTracks (FLAC 24/192, no DSDs); Acoustic Sounds (FLAC and DSD64, limited DSD128); Linn Records (mostly FLAC); 2L (famous for their public DSD samples); Native DSD; Tidal (FLAC 16/44).

CD Rips: I use dBpoweramp with AccurateRip.  It is paid software but it is well worth it.

May 14, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 18
Hey, I'm not sure, if my answer is helpful to you, but I advise buying CDs (yeah, oldschool :wink: ). That way you can choose whatever format you wish and I suppose the files you rip yourself will work on any portable player.

Lot of time you can find good deals on like new CDs on Amazon. I'm betting people buy them, rip them, and then sell them.

Also, be aware that in addition to 256 AAC, that many people find 320k mp3 indistinguishable from lossless. So when ripping, you might as well stick with that or high bit rate aac instead of using up space on your mp3 player with lossless files.

May 14, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 18
Storage is cheap, so I suggest to rip in FLAC then convert when necessary.

May 14, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 18
HiRes DL Stores: HDTracks (FLAC 24/192, no DSDs); Acoustic Sounds (FLAC and DSD64, limited DSD128); Linn Records (mostly FLAC); 2L (famous for their public DSD samples); Native DSD; Tidal (FLAC 16/44).

CD Rips: I use dBpoweramp with AccurateRip.  It is paid software but it is well worth it.

Great thank you cant wait to start putting high quality music on it.

May 14, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 18

As Swagrid said, CDs are good due to the simple fact that, you can rip it to whatever you want. And I am sure he is referring to the CDs you buy at a proper CD store. And not some bootleg or a CD made by a friend. 

Another decent source is iTunes, all its tracks are on 256kbps AAC. But wouldn't suffice your thirst for HD with a ZX2. HDtracks is a really good option, why don't you want to use it?

And just curious, what other equipment do you use?

Well this is my first piece of hi fi audio equipment, im a noob at hi fi...I'm more of a Home Theater person,just made the jump and purchased my first 4K tv. My next hi fi purchase will be get the mdr-1abt headphones when they come out later this year. also with hdtracks I will purchase some music from them, they just dont have all the music I like and will kinda have to rebuild my music library.

May 14, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 18
Well this is my first piece of hi fi audio equipment, im a noob at hi fi...I'm more of a Home Theater person,just made the jump and purchased my first 4K tv. My next hi fi purchase will be get the mdr-1abt headphones when they come out later this year. also with hdtracks I will purchase some music from them, they just dont have all the music I like and will kinda have to rebuild my music library.

That's why record stores exist.

May 15, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 18
Lot of time you can find good deals on like new CDs on Amazon. I'm betting people buy them, rip them, and then sell them.

That might just be, but in fact I never buy used CDs (except the ones I can't find new, but that hardly happens). Especially Amazon often has special offers on CDs (new ones), selling them for less than 10€ each - that's where I hit. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back