I'm needing advice on headphone purchase for studio and all around every-day use all suggestions grateful..:)
Jun 10, 2013 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

irishchoppa

New Head-Fier
Good morning, I am new to this site and I must say I have been browsing here for sometime now I am respect the knowledge and help I see everyone getting and I am having troubles choosing a new headphone so I decided to post here. :)

I am seeking a headphone for my personal studio but also for every-day work use. I work in a production field at the moment so it is very fast paced. I have been doing my research and I am looking for a mid level headphone to use at work and around the house I am stuck between a few different models and I was curious if I can get a few suggestions and some help which one would be the best? I listen to a lot of hip-hop but have a vast range of musical taste..:) I have a normal size head so I am not sure if anything to large would work also as I would be walking around work looking like I had a toaster on my head..hahaha

I will list the headphones here... my apology for so many listings I am just trying to find the right headphones for the right price.:) thank you in advance to anyone that posts on my thread. I appreciate your suggestions and intellectual outlook.

I have been looking at

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATH-M40FS Professional Studio Monitor Precision Headphones[/size]

[size=1.7em] AKG Q460 Mini On Ear Headphones[/size]

[size=1.7em] Sony MDRPQ2/GRN PIIQ[/size]

[size=1.7em] iFrogz 4741-ETGN EarPollution Throw Bax[/size]

[size=1.7em] V-MODA Crossfade M-80 On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone[/size]

Sennheiser HD 419 Headphones

Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones

Razer RZ04-00700100-R3U1 Electra Essential Gaming and Music Headset

SOL REPUBLIC Tracks HD On-Ear Headphones

[size=1.7em] Sennheiser HD 202 II Professional Headphones[/size]

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones[/size]

V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone

Grado Prestige Series SR80i Stereo Headphone

[size=1.7em] Sony MDR-XB700 Extra Bass 50mm, Big Booming Stereo Headphones[/size]

I've also been looking into other brands such as ... [size=small] BeyerDynamic, Shure, AKG,[/size]

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 6
I suggest the ATH-M50, AKG K550 or even the Sennheiser HD-25-1-ii as they are all pretty neutral for closed cans, reproduce bass well, are comfortable, and can give a listening access to the minutia of a particular track.  They are all well known in the studio and DJ world.

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 6
Wait you need cans for studio work? Only 2 or 3 on that list are even qualified, The Sol republics, V-moda LP's and sony XB's are all way way to bass heavy, the HD202's might work but I would say the M50's would be the best also look at the Shure SRH-840's however I found them a little bass light. Theres also the Beyer DT770's, KRK headphones, Sennheiser HD280/380.

Go to guitarcenter/musiciansfriend and look under studio headphones

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 6
I appreciate all the suggestions and feedback I have [size=small]received,[/size] although I should have been more in depth and simple about what I was looking for [size=small]unfortunately[/size] I was rushed and on my way to work. I am looking for a decent headphone with good bass and sound quality and clarity that I could use in my personal time to write music or something I can also use at work to pass time. I am looking into ATH-M50 but I am curious if those would be ok for work as I need a headphone that can power a android phone and still sound decent but also maybe use for home computer and studio use is there such a thing?.. I am sorry to be so precise but I don't want to make the mistake of purchasing something muddy and terrible again that is why I am posting here..:) thanks once again much appreciated... my price range I would like to spend at the moment is 1-150 if this helps at all..:wink:

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 6
The ATH-M50 is easily driven by 90% of portable devices out there so no worries.

If you find the ATH-M50 headphones have a tight clamping effect on your head place them stretched over a full-sized tissue box for a week and this will help relax the fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back