I'm looking for some new closed back headphones
Jul 14, 2020 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mason.

New Head-Fier
looking for some new headphones since mine broke (ws1100is) my budget is $400 (CAD). id be willing to try open backs, but i just prefer closed backs. only thing i will not get is on ear

I listen to edm, mostly drum and bass and dubstep, i'm using mdr1a but im borrowing them from someone until i get a new pair so i have to give them back. they sound pretty good, and theyre comfortable.. i like them quite a bit but theyre just not worth the price. i felt like ws1100is sounded just as good or better, and they were like half the price. i like good bass and sub bass, and my ears get sensitive to higher frequencies at louder volume.. so maybe something "warm" ?( not too experienced with audio, i think thats what im looking for)

I've been looking at: dt770, m50x ( i think ws1100is are better?), meze 99 (quite interested in these)..

Audio equipment ive used before: fiio fh1, fh5, fa7, ws1000is, Sony Mdr1a. i dont have an external amp but my motherboard has a decent soundcard i think and theyre able to drive everything ive used so far, i can buy one if i need to though

I"m in Canada and prefer getting something from amazon, and im not really trying to get something from outside of Canada, from like massdrop or something.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 13
I'm also searching for a fun closed back, with nice bass.

One option you may want to look at in your price range is the Monoprice M1060C, which I got on Amazon US for $251 USD a month ago.

I thought it had the best bass slam I've ever heard so far: more slam and faster bass than the Audeze LCD2C, which is pretty famous for it's bass. Also noticably faster bass than Beyer DT1990.

Its only 90db / 1mw efficient, so you'd probably want an amp.

However it's not perfect. I returned mine but YMMV. I posted my pros/cons in the M1060C thread. Post #1097

Jul 15, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 13
I'm also searching for a fun closed back, with nice bass.

One option you may want to look at in your price range is the Monoprice M1060C, which I got on Amazon US for $251 USD a month ago.

I thought it had the best bass slam I've ever heard so far: more slam and faster bass than the Audeze LCD2C, which is pretty famous for it's bass. Also noticably faster bass than Beyer DT1990.

Its only 90db / 1mw efficient, so you'd probably want an amp.

However it's not perfect. I returned mine but YMMV. I posted my pros/cons in the M1060C thread. Post #1097
yeah i was checking those out but it looks like they have some issues, id rather not risk it especially if im spending quite a bit. they did seem pretty cool though so im not completely ignoring them

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 13
Audioquest Nighthawks if you can find them fit the bill really well. Low enough impedance that you can run them from almost any device and still get the bass minus the treble fatigue that you are looking for.

Jul 15, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 13
Jul 15, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 13
Unless you want to put some toilet paper in the cups the DT770's might have too much treble for you. The Nightowls are the opposite, a dark headphone. I have both these. and they are good but might not be what your looking for.

I also have the Drop Meze 99 Noir which are very similar to the Meze 99 Neo 200$ which you should be able to find on Amazon. and they are very good. a lot of people in the audiophile community love them. nice bass but not that controlled though i have no problem with it. treble should give you no problems. the pads are a problem for this though. my Noir came with 2 sets and i hated how they sounded with one and i loved the other. i think the Neo comes with one set. So you may need to buy pads for them. Maybe Brainwavz oval pads if the Neo's pads arent doing it for you. The Classics can be found on Amazon but i think are overpriced at 300$ and no different.

Better i think are the EL8. I also got the Audeze EL 8 Closed. when they came out they where 800$ now about 200-300$ Used. they are very nice with quite good bass excellent midrange and treble not very harsh at all. Probably the best here.

Also the AKG K371 120$ and Modhouse Argon 245$ i hear are quite good bass, the Modhouse more so, and not harsh in the treble at all. I dont have these but hear about them all the time. you may want to look into them

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #10 of 13
ehhhh i already have fh5's and love them
If you can save some pennies I would get the Dan Clark Audio Aeon flow retunes. They are like my LCD2CBs but more comfortable since they are light as hell for a planar.

Jul 15, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #11 of 13
If you can save some pennies I would get the Dan Clark Audio Aeon flow retunes. They are like my LCD2CBs but more comfortable since they are light as hell for a planar.

2x+ their budget is "pennies"? Aeon RTs are $500 USD, plus import costs to Canada. Easily 3x budget all in.

Jul 15, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #12 of 13
2x+ their budget is "pennies"? Aeon RTs are $500 USD, plus import costs to Canada. Easily 3x budget all in.
Still one of the best budget HiFi planars period so pennies was a bad term but to my ears it's worth saving for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back