I'm looking for an updated version of an old AKG headphone.
Jun 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

truckdriver

500+ Head-Fier
I bought the AKG K26P (some 7 or so years ago) from Headroom for $30. I believe ( a few years later) it was renamed the AKG K414P and was still selling for around $30. A friend of mine really likes the sound so I was looking for a new pair for her. I was wondering if anyone here knows what “AKG” calls it now?

I hope Harman Kardon (AKG) didn't change the outside slightly and are now trying to sale the same headphones for around $100. That would be a shame and would reflect poorly on everybo, oops, I mean, them (just them). It would make them look like opportunist.
blink.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
AKG 460? I have a pair of 26Ps. So much bass from such a little headphone.

I think so too. Amazon reviews suggest the AKG K450 are more balanced (sound wise). It appears that the AKG K460 is the bassy one (similar to the K26P) and they want nearly $100 for them.

Perhaps Harmon Kardon is pretending that ugly green (oxygen-free) cable is a value-add? I made the mistake of buying the Q70l in lime-green because it was the cheapest at the time. It turns out color does matter (they sound good but look terrible).

Way back when, the AKG K26P , the Sennheiser PX100, and the Koss Porta-Pro were all around $30. It seems the Porta-Pros are the only ones still in that price range. I just may re-familiarize myself with the Porta-Pro sound and get my friend a pair of those instead.

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 7
The open ones (old K24P, K412P) are K420, and the closed ones (old K26P, K414P) are K404.
The new K402 are not the newer K24P as one might think - they are a cheap toy.

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
The open ones (old K24P, K412P) are K420, and the closed ones (old K26P, K414P) are K404.
The new K402 are not the newer K24P as one might think - they are a cheap toy.

The  K26P are now K404, thanks LosNir.

So when you say the K402 is a "cheap toy" version of the K24P, you mean that in what way? My K26P is sturdy/strong and has lasted for years without a problem. I mean, I did replace the ear-cup pad (but that's to be expected).

Edited later to add: LosNir, I think the picture I found explains what you mean.

Yeah, they look quite cheap.

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 7
They may look similar (and the naming are on par), and might be the K24P successor by AKG, but I don't think so.

K402:

K24P:

I had bought the K404, K402, K420 for cheap on local sales about two years ago and I don't think they compare. The K402 sound thin, cheap, and it is made out of cheap plastic (and you can see that by the looks).

A more suitable equivalent is the K420 IMHO. When I bought the K420 two years ago, I was really impressed by the sound.. it is airy, bass is controlled, detail is good (for the price) and it is very natural to me. It was so good that I bought another pair for my girlfriend :) She uses them DAILY ever since.
Also, build quality is better than the others that I've mentioned. That's my recommendation.

The K420:

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks again, LosNir.

I may get the K420 for myself and give my friend my K26P. She can't believe they're not new anyway with the new ear-pads.

It's a shame the K402 sounds as cheap (and thin) as it looks. When a company takes over another, you kinda wait and see if (or more like when) they are going to screw things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back