I'm lobbying to stop IC's
Mar 10, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #16 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
with the original poster. I think it's assinine. You obviously want to sell your product if you're listing it as an IC so, grow a pair and list it as a FS. If you're not sure on the price (which I don't understand unless it's SO unique, rare, etc.) list it high and see what happens. Keep dropping price until someone bites.

That's the thing though. Setting prices in such a manner signals information to the market that may result in a price lower than if a lower price had been set in the first place. Ultimately what you're suggesting might result in a lower price to the seller than had he/she quoted a price in the first place. In the face of uncertainty as to the appropriate price to quote in the first place, it is understandable why sellers would rather resort to interest check/offer solicitations.

I mean you can turn the analysis the other way around. Why should buyers get the benefit of such uncertainty by prohibiting interest checks? They should "grow a pair" and make a bid. Neither approach has any normative superiority.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #17 of 77
yea they are lame. its not that hard to research and figure out an asking price. You can always just set it higher than what you think and keep lowering it if u must.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #18 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpm2000
yea they are lame. its not that hard to research and figure out an asking price. You can always just set it higher than what you think and keep lowering it if u must.

See, that's kind of my point. Please explain to me why the following statement isn't equally true:

"yea they are lame. its not that hard to research and figure out an offer price. You can always just set it lower than what you think and keep raising it if u must."

I'm not saying one is better than the other - just that both are valid ways of finding what the market is willing to bid or ask for a good.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #19 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
That's the thing though. Setting prices in such a manner signals information to the market that may result in a price lower than if a lower price had been set in the first place. Ultimately what you're suggesting might result in a lower price to the seller than had he/she quoted a price in the first place. In the face of uncertainty as to the appropriate price to quote in the first place, it is understandable why sellers would rather resort to interest check/offer solicitations.

I mean you can turn the analysis the other way around. Why should buyers get the benefit of such uncertainty by prohibiting interest checks? They should "grow a pair" and make a bid. Neither approach has any normative superiority.

Best,

-Jason

Jason, can you please expound or restate your point. It's being lost on me and I'm trying to understand it (we no think too good here in Indiana.)

But until then, I keep thinking back to basic macroeconomic supply/demand curves with the equilibrium point being the final selling price in this situation. As long as the seller remembers to be conservative and price higher than estimated market tolerances, wouldn't his post eventually "settle" into the equilibrium (sales price) point?????

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #20 of 77
I have been told that it is against forum rules to post for profit. There apparently is a thread that explains this. I have been unable to located the few times I have looked.

Becuase I have been told and understand this, It really frustrates me when I see an IC. Do your research and determine the market value. If you would like to get more or think you should get more, that your right. Step up and post your price. The "Free Market" will let you know if your price is good or bad.

This leads me to the other thing that frustrates me. People removing there price for an FS thread and replacing it with Sold. This is another thread that was discuss a few weeks ago. I just had to throw that in though.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #21 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
See, that's kind of my point. Please explain to me why the following statement isn't equally true:

"yea they are lame. its not that hard to research and figure out an offer price. You can always just set it lower than what you think and keep raising it if u must."

I'm not saying one is better than the other - just that both are valid ways of finding what the market is willing to bid or ask for a good.

Best,

-Jason

...remember what's going on here; the seller is initiating this. If you turn it around it would be analagous to a buyer posting a WTB and...wait a minute...

So, to all of us who think an IC is dumb; would we be willing to post a WTB with a price we'd be willing to pay. I still say yes. Post a low price and let the market drag it up.

I say that's the best way in either situation than just fishing.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #22 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorthon
I have been told that it is against forum rules to post for profit. There apparently is a thread that explains this. I have been unable to located the few times I have looked.

Becuase I have been told and understand this, It really frustrates me when I see an IC. Do your research and determine the market value. If you would like to get more or think you should get more, that your right. Step up and post your price. The "Free Market" will let you know if your price is good or bad.

This leads me to the other thing that frustrates me. People removing there price for an FS thread and replacing it with Sold. This is another thread that was discuss a few weeks ago. I just had to through that in though.

...about removing the price and replacing with SOLD. I think it only hurts everone. One premise of a free market or, real capitalism, is that all participants have access to all information.

Plus it's just dumb.

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #23 of 77
I put up an IC for the first time last week. Just discovered that my PDA is a pretty good source. So I wasn't sure whether to sell my Zen Sleek, give it to my dad, or whatever, so up went the IC...just wondering whether anyone would be interested in buying it. If someone wanted it, I'd sell and put the proceeds towards new IEMs; otherwise I'd keep the Sleek and keep using it.

But I agree with previous posts, if it's clearly something I wanna get rid of, I use FS.

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #24 of 77
Quote:

This leads me to the other thing that frustrates me. People removing there price for an FS thread and replacing it with Sold. This is another thread that was discuss a few weeks ago. I just had to through that in though.

Your last paragraph seems to support IC's. A lot of people hide what their asking price for an item was, and you can never know for sure what they actually sold for. Really, making a ban on Interest Checks seems very unneccessary. If you don't want to deal with someone that isn't sure about selling, then don't deal with them, it's that simple.

Quite frankly, there are some common headphones that people have a good idea of their price due to their popularity. But, there are a heck of a lot of other headphones out there, also not to mention amps, sources, cables, etc. Not every person is an audio bluebook, and they shouldn't be expected to be. And, the proverbial law of value is that an item is worth "what the buyer will pay for it". I can see myself at some point not being sure if I wanted to sell an item due to the lack of information on it's worth. A quick IC (and you should at least appreciate the people that are being upfront that it's an IC, many might just not put a price and see what happens) would be the perfect tool to find out what I can expect for it.

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #25 of 77
Quote:

This leads me to the other thing that frustrates me. People removing there price for an FS thread and replacing it with Sold. This is another thread that was discuss a few weeks ago. I just had to throw that in though.

I couldn't agree more. It would be incredibly valuable if the selling price of every transaction were available. I have always believed (feared?) that the tendency of head-fi'ers to replace the price with the statement "sold" in part reflects embarassment of how little they got for their gear
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #26 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by solbergg
Your last paragraph seems to support IC's. A lot of people hide what their asking price for an item was, and you can never know for sure what they actually sold for. Really, making a ban on Interest Checks seems very unneccessary. If you don't want to deal with someone that isn't sure about selling, then don't deal with them, it's that simple.

Quite frankly, there are some common headphones that people have a good idea of their price due to their popularity. But, there are a heck of a lot of other headphones out there, also not to mentions amps, sources, cables, etc. Not every person is an audio bluebook, and they shouldn't be expected to be. And, the proverbial law of value is that an item is worth "what the buyer will pay for it". I can see myself at some point not being sure if I wanted to sell item due to the lack of information on it's worth. A quick IC (and you should at least appreciate the people that are being upfront that it's an IC, many might just not put a price and see what happens) would be the perfect tool to find out what I can expect for it.

Ebay is a great way to find out what something is worth if you're not sure. Try it.

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #27 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
I put up an IC for the first time last week. Just discovered that my PDA is a pretty good source. So I wasn't sure whether to sell my Zen Sleek, give it to my dad, or whatever, so up went the IC...just wondering whether anyone would be interested in buying it. If someone wanted it, I'd sell and put the proceeds towards new IEMs; otherwise I'd keep the Sleek and keep using it.

But I agree with previous posts, if it's clearly something I wanna get rid of, I use FS.

Then why not put up an FS for what you think it was worth or what you would want for it? If it sells, Great. If not, then you do whatever. If someone wants it, but does not want to pay your price, they have the option to PM you with an offer.

IC's are an easy way for someone not to have to do there market value research.

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #28 of 77
I'm with you! This corrupts the integrity of the process. I have even experienced a head-fi seller who listed FS and acted IC, that is, backed down when I took him up on selling after negotiating a price. He just stalled, cooked up complications and then when pressed confessed he didn't really want to sell. In the dating area years ago this was called being a **** tease.

I do deals on items big and small for other types of things and have never come across this form of institutionalizing ambivalence about being ready to deal maturely and honestly, which means you mean what you say and do what you promise to do respecting the time, effort and feelings of your counterpart in the transaction.

I appreciate that we hate to part with valued items and/or sometimes have little to go on estimating whether there is a market for what one might want to turn over for something else, but attempts to deal with these needs do not belong in a for sale listing forum.

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #29 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riboge
I'm with you! This corrupts the integrity of the process. I have even experienced a head-fi seller who listed FS and acted IC, that is, backed down when I took him up on selling after negotiating a price. He just stalled, cooked up complications and then when pressed confessed he didn't really want to sell. In the dating area years ago this was called being a **** tease.

I do deals on items big and small for other types of things and have never come across this form of institutionalizing ambivalence about being ready to deal maturely and honestly, which means you mean what you say and do what you promise to do respecting the time, effort and feelings of your counterpart in the transaction.

I appreciate that we hate to part with valued items and/or sometimes have little to go on estimating whether there is a market for what one might want to turn over for something else, but attempts to deal with these needs do not belong in a for sale listing forum.

Here, here.

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #30 of 77
If you are looking at upgrading knowledge of whether you can sell your old gear will effect your budget. So you want to know if there is a buyer around but don't want to sell until and if you actually upgrade.

Having said this, I did this when I was bidding on a Denon mini system but the guy who showed interest fell through, so now I have 2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back