I'm lobbying to stop IC's
Mar 10, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #62 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
How about stating your point instead of some one line antagonistic comment?

I thought I already did that in this thread?
confused.gif
Are you not just "concerning yourself" with what some people are "concerning themselves with"? Round and round..

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #63 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpm2000
yea they are lame. its not that hard to research and figure out an asking price. You can always just set it higher than what you think and keep lowering it if u must.

Quote:

Are you kidding? Because if I were to throw out a really LOW offer price out there and someone bit, it would be wrong for me to disregard his/her offer to buy at the price I put it at. My FS posts are not an auction - this isn't ebay. Maybe I'm not interpreting your post correctly.
confused.gif

This is all you've typed in the entire thread other than the comment to me and I still don't see your point.

About the only thing I can detect is that you have control issues and that you don't like head-fi sales being run like auctions on ebay. Well hey, guess what, that's tough ****. I'm sorry you don't have control over the situation.

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #64 of 77
Well, I don't have control issues, just voicing my opinon on the fact that, yes, I DONT like sales here being run like e-bay auctions. You seemed to have picked up my point just fine? I guess I must have ruffled your feathers a little hard, since I don't really see anything in my post that seems all too frustrated with the situation. The "are you kidding me?" portion is due to the fact that I must not be reading his post correctly, since they don't seem the same situation at all - as stated in my post. I just don't like it is all. Like pickles. I don't like them.

What is sad that is you and I have similar views on most of the points addressed (honoring asking/deal price, keeping sold item price instead of removing it, etc.) but you just can't handle someone calling a certain point of yours "hogwash" while you love throwing it around.

enjoy.

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #65 of 77
No, what is sad is you not being able to express yourself and assuming people can read your mind. I have no problems with you calling any point I made any name you would like but at least back up your damn opinion with points of your own. You can't just say "that's hogwash" and expect people to understand what you are talking about. I backed up what I thought was hogwash by explaining exactly why I felt that way about it. You're definitely entitled to your own opinion(which I can accept quite well thank you), but WHY?

So you don't like for sale threads being run like ebay auctions? Why? Dig deep and tell me why it bothers you that someone else sell THEIR item the way THEY want to.

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #66 of 77
Sigh, I thought it was fairly obvious but here goes (apologies to anyone who couldn't read my mind out there):

Hogwash, due to the fact that we CAN post IC's, even if we don't like 'em. So we in fact CAN BE a part of them (Interest Checks, for those of you keeping score at home) therefor your point about members having a problem with not being able to be a part of it being HOGWASH. I guess if someone had a moral issue with it then that's different but yea we could pick that apart for days.

Why don't I like them being a ebay auction? It was inresponse to jjcha's(i think) response to my post. He stated why coudn't I post a low price, like $100 for a pair of SA5000s for instance, and then keeping bumping the price up? (my interpretation of his post) To which I replied you can't because I would honor the first asking price, so I couldn't treat it in that manner like an ebay auction.

Clear? Clear..er?

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #67 of 77
Control issues are irrelevant. The moderators/admin do not allow sale for profit. IC's exist only (or mostly) to get around that rule.

If the control argument is your gripe, than direct it towards the operators of this site.

Since it their show, they set the rules as they wish.

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #68 of 77
Quote:

Sigh, I thought it was fairly obvious but here goes (apologies to anyone who couldn't read my mind out there):

Hogwash, due to the fact that we CAN post IC's, even if we don't like 'em. So we in fact CAN BE a part of them (Interest Checks, for those of you keeping score at home) therefor your point about members having a problem with not being able to be a part of it being HOGWASH. I guess if someone had a moral issue with it then that's different but yea we could pick that apart for days.

Holy masterful stating of the obvious here. You're way too literal for me. Let me break it down for you a little bit better so you can understand this. I assumed my novel-like reply on the previous page would have covered this but apparently not.

When I say "be a part of them" I mean it as being nosy or meddling in someone else's affairs, not being able to physically create an IC themselves. Please don't patronize me. I think it's pretty obvious that I know someone can go click "Create New Thread" and write up an IC.
rolleyes.gif

You're all for someone stating a price they are looking for in a for sale thread? I see this as creating more problems than just listing the item as in IC in the first place for CERTAIN ITEMS(like I covered in response 3 of this thread). Why? Because by listing a price it allows others to make comments and/or pass judgement as to whether the item is really worth what they are asking. It allows others to create threads in "Off Topic" crying about how someone else is asking $1,500 for a pair of headphones when they should only be asking $800 and/or it provides those same people with the ability to PM me telling me I'm asking way too much.

Sorry. I choose not to deal with people like this and one way I do that is by listing IC's.

Quote:

Why don't I like them being a ebay auction? It was inresponse to jjcha's(i think) response to my post. He stated why coudn't I post a low price, like $100 for a pair of SA5000s for instance, and then keeping bumping the price up? (my interpretation of his post) To which I replied you can't because I would honor the first asking price, so I couldn't treat it in that manner like an ebay auction.

Clear? Clear..er?

But he can. Just because you think he should honor the fact that you offered to buy them at $100 doesn't mean he has to sell them to you at that price, especially if someone's already offered him $250. This goes in to the philosophical side of it which I touched on in my long reply. His point was proving that if you went at it the other way you would have more angry people than you do going the IC route.

Do you really not see this?

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #70 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
Control issues are irrelevant. The moderators/admin do not allow sale for profit. IC's exist only (or mostly) to get around that rule.

If the control argument is your gripe, than direct it towards the operators of this site.

Since it their show, they set the rules as they wish.

Please point me to this rule because I can't believe it exists as it is truly absurd.

This would only work if head-fi admin were big brother montioring every single purchase we've made outside of head-fi in some kind of database so that they know what we should and should not be selling our items for.

Think about this logically for a second. So if I purchase a pair of DT770/80's for $140 used here on the forum but "Bob" bought his pair from someone else for $160 then "Bob" can sell his pair here for $150 but I can only sell mine for $130?

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #71 of 77
Quote:

Holy masterful stating of the obvious here. You're way too literal for me. Let me break it down for you a little bit better so you can understand this. I assumed my novel-like reply on the previous page would have covered this but apparently not.

When I say "be a part of them" I mean it as being nosy or meddling in someone else's affairs, not being able to physically create an IC themselves. Please don't patronize me. I think it's pretty obvious that I know someone can go click "Create New Thread" and write up an IC.
rolleyes.gif

You're all for someone stating a price they are looking for in a for sale thread? I see this as creating more problems than just listing the item as in IC in the first place for CERTAIN ITEMS(like I covered in response 3 of this thread). Why? Because by listing a price it allows others to make comments and/or pass judgement as to whether the item is really worth what they are asking. It allows others to create threads in "Off Topic" crying about how someone else is asking $1,500 for a pair of headphones when they should only be asking $800 and/or it provides those same people with the ability to PM me telling me I'm asking way too much.

Sorry. I choose not to deal with people like this and one way I do that is by listing IC's.

uhhh ICs = this thread. the end. And if you put an asking price up, and someone doesn't buy it, you aren't dealing with them at all. Who cares if they made a thread about it later? Do you routinely sell KSC35s for $500?

Quote:

But he can. Just because you think he should honor the fact that you offered to buy them at $100 doesn't mean he has to sell them to you at that price, especially if someone's already offered him $250. This goes in to the philosophical side of it which I touched on in my long reply. His point was proving that if you went at it the other way you would have more angry people than you do going the IC route.

Do you really not see this?

Quote:

"yea they are lame. its not that hard to research and figure out an offer price. You can always just set it lower than what you think and keep raising it if u must."

I see that - but his response was directed toward my first comment, where I stated "set it higher and lower until potential buyer buys". And he asked if they were not equally true. Which they are not. They would probably not end up with the same ending price as someone stated somewhere in this thread. You are right though in that my first reply was a misinterpretation of his original point, which I already covered with a "did I misinterpret your post?"
rolleyes.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #72 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Please point me to this rule because I can't believe it exists as it is truly absurd.

This would only work if head-fi admin were big brother montioring every single purchase we've made outside of head-fi in some kind of database so that they know what we should and should not be selling our items for.

Think about this logically for a second. So if I purchase a pair of DT770/80's for $140 used here on the forum but "Bob" bought his pair from someone else for $160 then "Bob" can sell his pair here for $150 but I can only sell mine for $130?

I dont think there is such a rule - only you cant sell NIB items for a profit. I think this whole misconception started with the HF-1s, but someone correct me if im wrong.

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #73 of 77
In the past, I have been guilty of posting several "IC's;" however, if more than a few people pm'd an interest with an offer, I would immediately change it to a "For Sale." This gave me a general idea of a going price and a general idea of whether the item would sell. If after three days, nobody expressed interest, I would withdraw the IC.

What bothers me most about 'IC's' is that some go on for more than just a couple of weeks. Some sellers are actually interested in making a profit and use the IC label as a sort of auction which, I feel, should be discouraged. Ebay is the site for auctions.

I feel, regardless of the popularity of an item, once a buyer makes a new purchase and opens the box, it is no longer new and is already depreciated. The for sale price should then reflect this. I cringe when I see members selling something for $10 less than the original purchase price six months into ownership...used or not, mint or whatever. It's still used really.

Another pet peeve is members linking to their Ebay or Audiogon for sale posts. I don't bother with them simply because I feel if you wish to sell at Head-Fi just do it here at one place. I don't mind members initiating a sale here and then later posting they have moved it to Ebay because of lack of interest here. Outright links though to Ebay are annoying.

I feel a certain decorum and etiquette should be a primary consideration when posting or buying. I've noticed an increase in thread crapping and outright hostility being posted to sellers and prospective buyers alike. Do people no longer PM?

Just practice fairness and regard for another person. The sale forums are great, but they can be even better.

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #74 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
You know the funny thing is that when I first read the title of this thread, I thought it was a lobby to stop Integrated Circuits.

As in, the use of discrete transistors and vacuum tubes only.
tongue.gif

-Ed

LOL! I thought it was about interconnects!
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #75 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoou2
LOL! I thought it was about interconnects!
tongue.gif

That was my exact thought! I've only sold one thing so I didn't even know about interest checks until reading this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back