I'm Jonesin' for my next step up! Can you help?
Mar 27, 2015 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

virgopunk

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm currently using DX90 and Westone W40s as my main source and as much as I love the W40's I'd like something with a bit more je ne sais quoi. The W40s are firstly extremely comfortable to wear. I use Comply large pro tips that give massive isolation (that's important since I do most of my listening on noisy trains etc). I love their soundstage which always impresses me. The only thing I'd like a bit more of is top and bottom definition. Don't get me wrong the W40s with the DX90 produce bass in line with the music (i.e. if it's there it'll show it, just not quite as forcefully as I'd like).

I guess I like the warmer end of the spectrum but with a crisp top end and I listen to absolutely everything (as HQ FLACs)

I've been wondering whether to make a move to closed back phones. I've got the Shure SRH840s (getting a bit tatty now though after 6 years of regular in house use - mainly film, gaming) but I've always found these a bit too neutral.

I can't see an IEM that would give me a noticeable improvement in SQ for the money, so, bearing in mind my source, I've been pinballing between the HD700s, HD650s which I really like the look of, the Oppo PM-3 and the EL-8s. With the HD650 due their power requirements, I was considering adding a Portaphile Micro amp (need to keep things small). I've even considered the Mad Dog Pros but they are possibly just a bit too big for outdoors. What about the NADs (HP50?)

The thing with over ear is that I need closed backs but that affects the sound-stage, which, as I've said is something I really like to appreciate. The problem is the more I read the more indecisive  I become.

Noticeable improvement in SQ from W40s (High quality sound-staging, improved bass)
Portable (not too heavy)
Able to be driven by DX90 (with gain if req)
If not, then cost of HQ amp need to be included (thus cutting the cost of the headphones)

I want my next step up to make me smile.

Total budget around £500

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Well that's what happens when you spend too long reading Inner Fidelity and Head-fi...I've pulled the trigger on a pair of HP50s. Got them nearly new for £155!

Looking forward to giving these a good workout. With the money I've saved I can snarf a Leckerton if needs be :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back