I'm in a headphone dilemma.
Aug 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Starburst1

New Head-Fier
I am currently looking for headphones... I play pc games and love listening to music at a fairly high quality.

I do have a pair of headphones that i use for both right now, however these headphones are made for console gaming (turtle beach ear force x11's) and they are 2 years old, i am looking for an upgrade. I realize that most gaming headphones do not have good quality for music, therefore my dilemma since i am looking for both.

Before anybody starts asking, ill list all the things you need to know; I am looking for a gaming headset, and i am looking for headphones for music, or both in one. My spending limit is about $300, any amplifiers or soundcards i may need are not included in that price. I listen to 70% rock and 30% other, being hip hop, pop, and dubstep. Now before people start recommending the rock oriented headphones, that's not what i want. I would like a headphone that can play both equally well, however if that is difficult somehow, then i would prefer the rock oriented headphones over the other.

Again, before you start to ask a question about my limit, i have a pair of gaming headphones in mind that i will most likely buy for gaming only, leaving me to buy a pair of headphones for music listening. The gaming headphones i have in mind are about $80 leaving me with about $250 to spend on a music related headphones, but that's not exactly what i am looking to do. If there is a set of gaming headphones that play music well with a good gaming experience too, then that would obviously be ideal for me since i am looking for both.

I have done some research on headphones, i have read the recommendations thread, and i felt i would receive a better answer to my dilemma here. Thank you

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 14
Here's my opinion:

I think if you have 300$ total budget to fulfill both gaming and music needs, what I would do is spend up to 280$ on the headphone, and use the last 20$ or so on a clip-on mic. I think most gaming headphones are a cheap excuse to for those who need both a mic and headphones at a cheap price. Now I don't want to go into the surround sound/multi-driver vs stereo debate, nor do I know enough about it.  What I will say is that if you are spending 300$ on headphones, they are likely VERY adequate for gaming. 

I've bought the Steelseries 5HV2 once after my main cans broke, and I have nothing but regret. I don't know what caused me to buy these, since I knew the sound would be terrible. I guess it was a quick solution since I had no mic and no working headphone at the time for 60$. Now they just sit in the closet...looking ugly and all.  If you go on computer forum sites, people will be discussing the best SQ, best bang for buck headsets...corsair HS1A blabla, but really it is like discussing the sound differences between the beats line.  Sometimes you will have people recommending some of the cheaper senns which is about the best advice you can get.

Also given your budget I would spend everything on the headphone, one that isn't reliant on an amp. Buy the sports car before you buy the racing tires.

Hope this helps!

Aug 11, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 14
I'd agree to spend the majority on your headphones and to just buy a clip-on mic. This way you can get a far superior pair of cans compared to what you would get if you had to buy both headphones and a headset.

As far as which pair of cans to get I stand by Grado as being the king of rock headphones, but to make them work well with hip-hop, pop, and dubstep you would want to perform the vent mod, which you can find details on in the "SR60-Mod" thread by Bilavideo. Another advantage of Grados is that you don't have to use any amp, as they are plenty sensitive and can be driven easily by an iPod, or a computer.

So if you asked me how to spend your $300 I'd say buy yourself a pair of Grado SR225i's and a simple $10 clip-on mic. I've heard the Zalman Zm-Mic1 is a nice, cheap mic, but I haven't personally used one. Oh and you will need to have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for the SR225i, it doesn't come with one. If you don't own one Grado sells a very nice one for $15. As for the rest of your $90 I'd spend it on woodies from HeadphoneLounge, but only if you're into modding.

Aug 11, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
I am currently looking for headphones... I play pc games and love listening to music at a fairly high quality.

I do have a pair of headphones that i use for both right now, however these headphones are made for console gaming (turtle beach ear force x11's) and they are 2 years old, i am looking for an upgrade. I realize that most gaming headphones do not have good quality for music, therefore my dilemma since i am looking for both.

Before anybody starts asking, ill list all the things you need to know; I am looking for a gaming headset, and i am looking for headphones for music, or both in one. My spending limit is about $300, any amplifiers or soundcards i may need are not included in that price. I listen to 70% rock and 30% other, being hip hop, pop, and dubstep. Now before people start recommending the rock oriented headphones, that's not what i want. I would like a headphone that can play both equally well, however if that is difficult somehow, then i would prefer the rock oriented headphones over the other.

Again, before you start to ask a question about my limit, i have a pair of gaming headphones in mind that i will most likely buy for gaming only, leaving me to buy a pair of headphones for music listening. The gaming headphones i have in mind are about $80 leaving me with about $250 to spend on a music related headphones, but that's not exactly what i am looking to do. If there is a set of gaming headphones that play music well with a good gaming experience too, then that would obviously be ideal for me since i am looking for both.

I have done some research on headphones, i have read the recommendations thread, and i felt i would receive a better answer to my dilemma here. Thank you

Asus Xonar DG sound card ($16-$26).
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-ohm headphones (bassy), good for music, movies and gaming ($140-$180).

Aug 11, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 14
+1 DT770

DT 990

Ultrasones HFI 780/ 580/ Pro 750 / Pro 900 

Cheerz!

Aug 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 14
Thank you for your responses! 

I was looking up the Grado sr225i's that ToastyWaffle mentioned, and i was wondering if i gave if a $100 amp, will it make it preform better for hip hop, dubstep, and pop? 

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Thank you for your responses! 

I was looking up the Grado sr225i's that ToastyWaffle mentioned, and i was wondering if i gave if a $100 amp, will it make it preform better for hip hop, dubstep, and pop? 

The SR225i doesn't benefit too much from amping, although using an amp's EQ settings it could improve it. I would still say venting the driver is the best way to improve bass, and it's free. Only vent 4 holes to start though, you can always add more later, up to 10. I find that venting more than 4 holes makes the bass muddy, but some like to vent all 10 so see what you like best.

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 14
Hey listen, i do not want to worry about modifying the headset i decide to get, i only want one pair of good quality headsets, and i looked into the grado sr225i's, and everybody was saying the build quality was terrible, but they were saying the drivers were well worth the price. I shortly decided that i would not want a pair of headphones that would leave me adjusting its position on my head every couple of minutes. 

I looked further and found these 3 headsets. The sennheiser hd 598, philips fidelio l1, and the beyerdynamic dt 1350. I know the three of them are comfortable enough, and even though i might be sacrificing a little sound quality compared to the grado's, i feel happy knowing that im trading it in for comfort. I was really thinking of getting the sennheiser's with an amplifier or a soundcard. Do you guys think thats a good decision?

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 14
I think you will really enjoy the 598's. Also, I'd look into the antlion modmic. There is no modification to the headphones involved and it sounds better than any astro/turtle beach mic I have heard. Its a beast setup. 

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Hey listen, i do not want to worry about modifying the headset i decide to get, i only want one pair of good quality headsets, and i looked into the grado sr225i's, and everybody was saying the build quality was terrible, but they were saying the drivers were well worth the price. I shortly decided that i would not want a pair of headphones that would leave me adjusting its position on my head every couple of minutes. 

I looked further and found these 3 headsets. The sennheiser hd 598, philips fidelio l1, and the beyerdynamic dt 1350. I know the three of them are comfortable enough, and even though i might be sacrificing a little sound quality compared to the grado's, i feel happy knowing that im trading it in for comfort. I was really thinking of getting the sennheiser's with an amplifier or a soundcard. Do you guys think thats a good decision?

Hey man Grados definitely aren't for everyone. It's totally understandable to not want to open up your new $200 headphones using steaming water.

But on the subject of these other cans, I think the HD598 are incredible. If comfort is what you're looking for these will deliver. I don't really like them for rock much though. I find the treble to be a bit subdued, but again I like the Grado sound signature, which is very bright, so for you they might be perfect. The bass won't blow you away, but again you can use an amp's EQ to change that, and yes these do benefit from an amp.

I've actually never even heard of the Philips Fidelo l1, so I can't comment on those.

As for the DT 1350 I feel that they truly excel with mids, which isn't exactly what you want from either rock or hip-hop and dubstep. They are great cans, just not exactly for you genres. Unless you listen to mostly soft rock, in which case it would probably be fine. I personally would go for something less laid back.

So of the two that I have actually had time to listen to I would say the HD598 would be best for you, but again everything in this hobby is subjective, so if you have the time you should really go to a local shop and audition them for yourself using your own music.

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 14
Yes, a local shop is what i was looking to do. I'll have to search for some, but usually my area doesn't have many small businesses nor stores like this near here. I'd probably have to go out of town for this.

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Yes, a local shop is what i was looking to do. I'll have to search for some, but usually my area doesn't have many small businesses nor stores like this near here. I'd probably have to go out of town for this.

If they happen to have a pair of SR225i's or any other Grado with L-Cush pads I think you should really try them. I have never had a problem with comfort, but most seem to complain about it. I just really feel that those are perfect for you, so please if they have a pair give them a chance before you dismiss them based on what you've heard about their comfort. 

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 14
Lol, i will most defidently give them a try, i did find this one place that is the next town over. I went to their website, but couldn't find anything headphone related, but people do say they sell them. Maybe ill go there sometime tmrw to check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back