I'm I just weird?
Feb 3, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #46 of 70
Here in brooklyn, all I see are stock apple buds and cheap off-the-rack buds. Sound quality isn't in demand apparently.
frown.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #47 of 70
In australia, i'm yet to see someone with IEMs.
I see stock buds everywhere and think "you dont know what your missin"
I stand corrected sometimes i see kids with big cans and can hear them coming a mile off.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #48 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinobi00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DId I come off as angry?I apologize. Anyways, they work in the city where not a lot of people like to drive.

No, your fine.
beerchug.gif
Just thought what I wrote may have sounded like I was being snotty!
ksc75smile.gif
I was genuinely interested. In London it seems anybody wealthy would far rather sit in gridlocked traffic than take public transport.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #49 of 70
Come on, you want weird?

Try wearing a Pioneer Monitor 10 on your head which weighs a bit more than a pound connected to Nokia 6303 with a cable in telephone style which can extend to 5 meters in length. In ears are quite normal.

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #50 of 70
Here in Vietnam it's impossible to find someone with iems. I keep my W3 at home and only use my Porta when i go out....still people look at me like i'm ET or st.....

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #51 of 70
I guess it's understandable if you're someone like my mom, who only listens to her ipod shuffle once a month maybe. It's another thing when you see people walking around who listen to their ipods everyday practically 24/7 wearing those horrid ibuds.

Oh well, whatever makes you happy.

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #52 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by krismusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In London it seems anybody wealthy would far rather sit in gridlocked traffic than take public transport.

Sounds very much like L.A. (where I grew up). Get in your car, roll up the windows, and turn on the A/C to the same temp as outside. Heaven forbid you walk or bike, during their 300 days of sunshine per year.

Which goes to something you mentioned before. Perhaps the English are especially renown for deliberately not speaking to each other in public, but we can't be too far behind here (on the US west coast anyway). Why should it be such a big deal to discuss with a fellow enthusiast, wearing say an IE8 or SE530 about a common interest?

Even worse for me, I once noticed someone wearing one of my own company's products, but was too shy to stop and ask him about them! Hope I won't let that happen again...

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #53 of 70
^^^^ I agree that it would be nice to chat to a fellow enthusiast but it is pretty stressful here.
After a day at work, all the poor guy probably wants to do is zone out with his music.
Escapism is probably a part of why so many people listen on public transport.
I don't think I would react that well to someone tapping me on the shoulder wanting a chat when I am into my music.
In the main, people in London are not unfriendly IME but we are very aware of "time and place"
smile_phones.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #54 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which goes to something you mentioned before. Perhaps the English are especially renown for deliberately not speaking to each other in public, but we can't be too far behind here (on the US west coast anyway). Why should it be such a big deal to discuss with a fellow enthusiast, wearing say an IE8 or SE530 about a common interest?

I think it might be a big city thing. If you go out to the suburbs or whatever people will have no problem talking to you even if you're a stranger, but in a large city that's not how it is at all. I'm basing this on my experience living in both smaller suburbs (30,000 - 60,000) compared with living in Chicago (2.8 million).
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #56 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulypaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In australia, i'm yet to see someone with IEMs.
I see stock buds everywhere and think "you dont know what your missin"
I stand corrected sometimes i see kids with big cans and can hear them coming a mile off.

you're obviously not going to the right places, I see a few up here in bris-vegas. nothing else quite lilke my cringe-worthy rig though

or should I say grin-worthy
dt880smile.png
I rock the JH13 or UM3X all the time, only ever get a second look if I take them out to talk to someone or if i'm wearing the silver cable down the side of my jaw instead of down my back. then people dont know what the hell they are, the HD600/D2000 woodies get some looks though

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #57 of 70
I go on the Milan (Italy) undergroud every day with my Fuze + E5 + RE0 and i've seen only iBuds and some Sony headphones. Once i had my Portapro's and a guy with ibuds was staring at me like "What the hell have you got on your head?" and i was just smiling thinkig "Yeah they look a bit funny but at least i'm listening to music, i'm not hearing some noises thinking i'm cool".

Then explaining to my friends that my sansa is not an iPod, the amp helps drive the high impedence IEM's and that the big white things actually go in your ear is just pointless.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #58 of 70
ive seen ONE other person using RE0's on campus here, but mainly if i do see IEM's they are really cheap ones. Except for my friends, they have SE530's and JH13's (not like he wears the 13's in public though)

Same with fullsize headphones, ALOT of bose and beats.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #60 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arguggi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I go on the Milan (Italy) undergroud every day with my Fuze + E5 + RE0 and i've seen only iBuds and some Sony headphones. Once i had my Portapro's and a guy with ibuds was staring at me like "What the hell have you got on your head?" and i was just smiling thinkig "Yeah they look a bit funny but at least i'm listening to music, i'm not hearing some noises thinking i'm cool".

Then explaining to my friends that my sansa is not an iPod, the amp helps drive the high impedence IEM's and that the big white things actually go in your ear is just pointless.

HAHAHa, you made my day!

BTW, does anyone wear their customs in public? I plain on doing so, I am just curious if you do and what reactions do you get?

I am already prepared to be asked if they're hearing aids, even though I'll have to take them out to hear the qeustion in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back