im guessing the answe is no..? ipod/avr question
Oct 6, 2009 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

anthemeral

New Head-Fier
im looking forward to some earphones in the 150 to 200 pounds range for xmas and an ipod touch, which puts an amp out of the equation for a good long while

ill be using mostly the ipod at home, even though i have a speaker set up that cost me 4 grand a few years ago when i used to have money like that

thing is with my gf suffering migraines alot
its rare i get to listen to music so they are resigned to surround sound use only films games

also most of my music is on my pc

what im wondering is ..if i connect the ipod to my harmon kardon avr 355 and use the headphone out from the avr rather than the ipod will there be any difference in the sound output through headphones, and if so would they drive akg k701 adequately, or am i just being a cheapskate

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by anthemeral /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what im wondering is ..if i connect the ipod to my harmon kardon avr 355 and use the headphone out from the avr rather than the ipod will there be any difference in the sound output through headphones, and if so would they drive akg k701 adequately, or am i just being a cheapskate

I dunno the sound signature of the AVR355 but every link in the chain will affect the sound in some way. With the K701, I dunno as I dunno the reciever.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 7
basically i am just wondering if an avr can in some form act as an alternative to a ipod headphone amp..being that i already own an avr and dont like the idea of spending on an amp and so far havent seen any headphones that i like that can run well from an ipod

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 7
You can use the AVR as an alternative to the iPod's inbuilt amplifier (headphone jack).

You'll need a dock adaptor that supports line out. You can get some fairly cheap ones on eBay which will have a somewhat significant improvement over the headphone jack in the iPod.

I'm not too sure about the K701s though, they're fairly hard to drive so yeah.. I'd say you might be somewhat safe with say a pair of Sennheiser HD600/580s.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 7
Here's my cheap docking solution:

1. Buy a LOD cable. Quspm a Head-Fier, makes and sells brilliant ones, but you can get really cheap ones off eBay and from some of the companies that advertise here. iBasso has a decent one, I think.
2. Buy a stereo female-to-female (or socket-to-socket, if you prefer) adaptor.
3. Buy a 2xRCA-to-3.5mm cable.

Stick one end of 3 into 2, and the other into 1. Connect 1 to the iPod's dock.

Voila. You've bypassed the iPod's amp.

The alternative is to buy either:
a) a cable with 2 RCA plugs on one end and a LOD on the other. This might be hard to source and costly.
b) a cable with 2 RCA plugs on one end and a 3.5mm on the other (i.e., 3) and an iPod dock like Apple's official one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back