I'm going to the dark side... but not too dark (Which Sennheiser is for me?)
Dec 3, 2009 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dweaver

Headphoneus Supremus
I am finally succumbing to the Sennheiser call (at least to see what they are really all about). So my question to all you Senn guru's is. Which Senn should I be hunting down (I will be buying used)?

I am coming from the Audio Technica wrold of HP's and love my mids, but want warmth and bass, and am also finding laid back and smooth might be great for longer listening and certain music genre's.

So I am thinking HD580, HD600, and HD650. Which of these has the best midrange (the few Senn's I have listened to had a veil in the area, HD555/595).

From what I'm reading the HD580 have issues with the area I want to make sure is impacted as little as possible. BUt I am also reading that if I was to put an HD600 grill and better cable on them they would pretty much be the same as the HD600. Is this correct or just wishfull thinking on the part of the modders?

I read that the HD600 has the most balance sound of all 3 headphones while still having a solid bass. Is this correct?

Finally I have read the HD650 are to warm (dark is often tossed around), are they as bad as some of the posters have made them out to be, or do they improve with time.

I will be using the amp in my signature which currently has an opamp designed to make them a little more laid back and warm (to help my AT headphones sound a little less bright and sharp). I also have a much brighter and more analytical opamp that I can put in them if that would help make the Senn's sound better.

I will be playing these mainly through my computer which has an Auzentech Forte 7.1 sound card and then my amp, but I may also play these through my Ipod and my amp.

Music styles I listen to are classical, 70-80 rock, some new rock, accoustical rock, Celtic music, New Age, choral... As you can see I have a wide variety of musical tastes.

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 21
I haven't heard too many say that one is 'clearly' better than the other. It comes down to preferences between the headphones. Supposedly HD600s are the more balanced ones out there. 650s are more bass-heavy and darker, but a lot of people feel that the HD650s have a higher ceiling with the best equipment.

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 21
Yah better might not be the right word. I guess I'm wanting the one that would fit my musical preferences the best.

I'm also very interested if the HD580 modded really does sound like the HD600 or not as I might be able to save a few bucks going that route and I also have fun doing mods. But in the end I would rather spend the difference if the HD600 is clearly dfferent than the HD580 even if it's modded.

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 21
From what I've read, the HD580s use the same drivers as the HD600s (unless they had a driver change like the HD650 recently). Many people don't hear a real difference between the HD580s or 600s even without mods. I can't comment as I haven't done the grill change but I seem to notice the sound is a bit more airy with no grills on.

I haven't heard the HD600s compared with my 580s, so again, this is only what I've read.

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 21
I don't know about the closeness of the 580 w/ mods to the 600, but I would think that it must be pretty close.

If you've heard a veil on other Senn equipment, don't come anywhere near the 650.

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 21
The HD580 & HD600 share the same driver. The move to the 600 model was cosmetic only. I would be highly suspect of anyone saying that they can hear any audible difference. Granted, their is always the possibility of having a little bit of variation in sound, even in the same model. Manufacturing is never perfect even in the best of companies.

I did the grill and cable upgrade and they sound the same to me. The grill just looks better and the cable has a 1/4" phone that I wanted for home use.

BTW, none of these Senn models are well-suited for use with portable music players unamped.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #9 of 21
OK so if I have the budget I'll go HD600 and if want to save a few buck's I'll go 580, there are a couple HD580's with the HD600 grill for sale in the FS forum, I may see if one of them is still available.

I think my amp will drive these OK, RWAudio was using HD600's or 650 with the amp when I was at the headphone meet this summer, and I won't be using these without an amp, even when using my Ipod.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've heard a veil on other Senn equipment, don't come anywhere near the 650.

Exactly. If you think the 595 is veiled, you won't like the 650 and maybe not even the 600. The 595 is the brightest and most open of the high-end Senns. 650s are Mordor to them.

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #12 of 21
Well a bit of a story is in order...

I bought a pair of AT CKS70 IEM's last week and they are the bassiest sounding things I have ever heard and they are a bit recessed at the top end. About the exact opposite of my AD900 headphones and my initial impression was wow do these ever remind me of the HD600 and HD650 headphones I heard this summer!!! But I can't stop listening to them!!!! They are simply so nice to have a smooth sound with bass thats controlled and refined. The more I listen to them the more I want an open phone with this kind of bass and warmth and I simply can't think of any other headphone other than a Senn that will do it. So I think my sound tastes have changed. Having said that I willl be keeping my AD900 for a while yet
wink.gif
. CRazy that an AT IEM would lead me to Sennheiser LOL.

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #13 of 21
dweaver, havent you been chasing the perfect headphone since, oh, Dec 2008 ?
very_evil_smiley.gif

My only caution is to be careful what you wish for with bass. I felt much the same way you do roughly 4 months ago, then I got the Ultrasones. While I like them in small doses, they are definitely not a tonic after a tough day at the office. I also question your assertion that Sennheiser may be the only company that can make open cans with solid bass impact, but you seem to have your heart set on them.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #14 of 21
I suspect you may be right estreeter which is why I won't be getting rid of my AD900 as I am sure there will be times I will miss their sound signature. I also agree there are probably other headphone choices for bass than Sennheiser. I do kind of have my heart set on the Senn's beccause I have never owned a pair and consequently feel like I've never given them a fair shake yet. So part of this is me satifying the urge to try a new experience which is why I'm buying used instead of new. That way I can flip these (or my AD900) for a different higher end phone at some point such as a good AKG HP or possibly that other German company (GMP?).

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #15 of 21
LOL yes the obsession started last Christmas with an Ipod Touch I recieved as a gift
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back