I'm going to guess Sennheisers desperately NEED recabling !!!
Mar 22, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #61 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
downsize, my point is that you might as well stop posting and just recable your headphones, if you are so set on your opinion that you ignore people who disagree with you

who cares about science, or for that matter, facts? this is like debating evolution with a devout christian. you can't have a debate in the first place, because one side will refuse to listen to anything that doesn't agree with their view

Oh, I see. So you feel ignored if you aren't agreed with? Hmmm.
rolleyes.gif

There's no problem with listening here. However, I do see a problem with tolerance. Make your opinion and move on. Uncle Eric does it very well. I suggest that you learn from him.

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #62 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by downsize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for verifying both what I heard, and what I needed to know.

This helps me to know my attempted recable with a KNOWN brighter and open sounding cable puts me on the right track at least.

Few key words you threw out there ("verifying" and "known") show right away that you aren't even WILLING to consider the possibility that under meet conditions you heard something differently and when you finally got the product didn't like it as much as you thought you did.

First of all, he wasn't "verifying" a damn thing, he was giving you his opinion, just like the hundred other people in this thread telling you otherwise that you are blatantly ignoring. There is also no way to prove that a cable is "KNOWN" to be brighter and more open sounding, especially since there is exactly ZERO scientific proof to show that this is true, it is all OPINION, which again, is what EVERYBODY ELSE IS STATING (caps get my point across well don't they?).

If you don't want to hear that recabling mediocre headphones isn't going to make them superb, then don't ask at all and go recable them already. You made it sound like you were at least willing to consider the fact that you simply aren't a fan of the sound, and that meet conditions, placebo, and/or suggestive selling (or demo'ing in this case) may have effected what you heard at the time.

I'm actually a cable believer, believe it or not, and as a cable believer I can tell you one thing for sure, there is not a headphone cable in the world that will change the sound of headphones as drastically as you are hoping for. I'm just covering both sides of the argument here, and in doing that in this case I can tell you that even if you believe in cables, they don't make that much difference.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #63 of 106
Hey, look. Head-Fi is still an incredibly hostile place to discuss your experiences as you happen to experience them. Fantastic accomplishment, people.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #64 of 106
Can we please get back on topic? I am actually interested in doing this, if it does anything. If you want to argue, just PM each other.

So, the general populous on this thread say that re-cabling is not worth the money?

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #65 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike8585 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, the general populous on this thread say that re-cabling is not worth the money?

General populous?

tongue.gif

Well I can only speak for myself but I think re-cabling is worth the money if you want to re-cable
tongue.gif

Ok I just went around in a circle there so I'll have to add more. Re-cabling normally means $$$ to some people but the truth is that if you do it yourself it's a hell of a lot cheaper. I heard a slight difference with the HD580 cable and my silver after market cable on my HD650. Did it lift the veil? I'm not sure. It did sound slightly clearer but hell, that could all be in my head. At the end of the day, I'm happy with it. It looks nicer and that's good enough for me. Aren't I vague?

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #66 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike8585 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can we please get back on topic? I am actually interested in doing this, if it does anything. If you want to argue, just PM each other.

It would seem that it depends on the can and the cable in question.

I recabled my old HD650's with a Cardas and genuinely found it not worth it. I didn't hear a difference. OTOH, I was very surprised by the ALO cable and the K702's. I was more surprised that I actually heard a difference than the magnitude of the difference. In fact, I mused to myself that I heard more change than I've heard changing amps (Fubar III to HR MicroAmp as an example). On that basis, I thought the K702/ALO-Cable package price was worth it.

IOW's, I definitely think your mileage would vary. Good luck. I suggest trying if you're not breaking the bank doing it.
icon10.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #68 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's right, you can break the bank with cables. I'd like to think those actively chasing cables have tried the main options like amps and dacs.

smily_headphones1.gif
I'd say it's relative. I should be receiving an ALO cable for my HD650's tomorrow. Expensive, but I can manage. It's certainly less than going balanced and convincing myself that I'm liking it more than SE, even though there's a measurable difference. I've been down that road too.
devil_face.gif
As I said, this cable thing is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of how your wallet can be hurt, swindled or whatever in this business.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #69 of 106
lets say for the k702, how could a recable make any difference you pass the signal through the stock cable inside the headphone to a new wire if say one believes that a new wire will help the sound (being neutral on this matter i don't care how people spend their money). wouldn't any sound coming from say wire be filtered by the original stock wires that are connected from driver to new cable making it sound the same ? or does the new wire mystically rearrange the signal.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #70 of 106
Thanks guys.
I was half expecting someone to jump down my throat.
tongue_smile.gif

I dont think I would spend big money on it. I might be able to get the cardas HD650 connectors for a decent price, but I don't know if the cable I have would make much of a difference. I have a bunch of Mogami quad cable that I was using for my XLRs. It sounds great on my home system, but I don't know if it is worth it to re-cable my senns with it.
If that cable is no good for this, are there any that you can recommend for a DIY, without spending too much?

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #71 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lets say for the k702, how could a recable make any difference you pass the signal through the stock cable inside the headphone to a new wire if say one believes that a new wire will help the sound (being neutral on this matter i don't care how people spend their money). wouldn't any sound coming from say wire be filtered by the original stock wires that are connected from driver to new cable making it sound the same ? or does the new wire mystically rearrange the signal.

recabling a k701 or k702 probably makes very little sense unless you actually replace the wire inside the headphone and/or mod the headphone to a dual entry cable system.

from my understanding, the alo k701 package does both of the above, so it is much more theoretically sound than, for example, that SAA cable that claims to turn a k702 into a balanced headphone with a 3 wire cable (which is a complete, fraudulent, scam of a cable)

thats not that say that I believe theres a worthwhile difference though, it just means there isnt any blatantly obvious marketing BS. frankly, even if the cable did nothing, I prefer dual entry and might pay just to have someone do that for me professionally (so it looks nice)

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #72 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since I did hear a difference and quite clearly so, I'd not be thinking of mysticism but would be thinking of a rational explanation.

Someone in another thread (perhaps even this one), mentioned a difference in sound after shortening his cable. Cables do seem to make a difference for speakers and this has a lot to do with the long cable lengths that can be involved. As to a driver mismatch - I can't say that I hear one. It would make the effect complete, wouldn't it? More consistent. Unfortunately, I can't offer you that. Leave it to mysticism.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #73 of 106
I had a HD650 for about 3 months. Take this with a grain of salt because I never heard it with the stock cable, but I can not say there was a discernible difference between two aftermarket cables that I used. So put me in the camp of not spending ridiculous amounts of money on cables.

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #74 of 106
LOL ... I just loooove this stuff.
icon10.gif

Let me see if I can explain something that will NOT get misinterpreted...

When I make a thread like this, asking about cable differences, or talking about the ones I personally have heard, I do not need or desire ANYONE posting on the thread to tell me there is no difference that matters, or there is no difference at all, or it is stupid to spend money on it ...

You see, these opinions I will ignore, because they are not EVER going to make any sense to me. I never asked ANY question that has anything to do with IF THERE ARE DIFFERENCES .... I just wanted the people who have experienced a similiar experience I have had, to discuss what they have found to work or not work well with the Senns when it comes to re-cabling. If you personally have tried recables, and have not heard differences, then we will be on a different page anyway, because I CAN design and make cables that sound different, and more importantly, I can HEAR the differences.
NO-ONE can tell me if it is worth it, because as it is MY pocketbook, and only I know the depths thereof, I am the ONLY ONE who can decide if it is worth it to me.

So now that you will know if you do not already ... I enjoy talking about cables ... I enjoy making cables, testing cables, tweaking cables, ect...ect...

So when I post a thread about cables, and you do NOT believe in cable differences, you have NO REASON to even read my threads....

Lastly, I am so truly sorry for those of you who do not hear differences in cables, but that is YOUR problem. I enjoy my hobby my way, and will continue to do so.

I am a Scorpio, dynamic as hell, and I guess it comes through in my writing. But it's not going to change, so if you do not like it, don't read my words.
For I will always call a spade a spade ... Cheers !
popcorn.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #75 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by CANiSLAYu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a HD650 for about 3 months. Take this with a grain of salt because I never heard it with the stock cable, but I can not say there was a discernible difference between two aftermarket cables that I used. So put me in the camp of not spending ridiculous amounts of money on cables.

Yeah ... I will NEVER pay a lot of money for any cables. I've found I can make my own that sounds as good, or most times better than manufacturer's cables.

I will be making the cable for the 580s with only the very best wire and connectors, and will still only have $100 in it. I will also have the afternoon of joy, building and testing another cable... Finding out what braid does, or does not work well, if shielding helps or hurts ... I just LOVE that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back