I'm going nuts; someone help me upgrade (or not)...
Jul 31, 2002 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
I'm getting the upgrade bug, so someone either tell me that I shouldn't bother spending any money or tell me how to spend it best.
smily_headphones1.gif

I love my Etymotic ER4P+Sony D25S pcdp. Most of you know that the Sony D25S is a VERY powerful portable that sounds quite good compared to most portables. Since I'm going back to college, I don't have any intention of buying a new source this year. Like I said, I really like the D25S and it doesn't take up any space.

Now, I also really like the ER4P paired with the D25S. I have NO complaints about the sound and I think I could be happy with my current setup forever. Seriously.
smily_headphones1.gif

On the other hand...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Could I be even happier? I was thinking about getting the $50 adapter cable from Headroom to make the ER4P a ER4S.

Now, if I get the $50 adapter making my ER4P an ER4S, should I also get an amp? I realize the D25S has plenty of power, but wouldn't it still be even better for the ER4S through an amp?

So, assuming the answer is yes, what amp/configuration would be the best with my D25S and ER4S? I'm guessing a META42 is the answer.

I couldn't justify spending over $300 on an amp, so what kind of configuration would be best for the META42 for $300 or less, and is there someone who could build me one? I have no skills/knowledge or tools to build one for myself.
frown.gif

Finally, will $300 get me an amp that does justice to the ER4S, or should I look at spending more (or less)?

Portability is not a factor at all because I have a Panasonic CT570+Koss KSC35 for my portable needs, which I don't think I want to improve upon any time soon.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that I prefer a cold, detailed, analytical sound, as far as the amp configuration goes. I listen to classical (symphonies) and hard rock/metal if that matters.

Since some of my ramblings should probably be in different forum (or two), feel free to tell me where to go, but I figured I would start here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 10
Hi radrd,

You can have tangent/jmt/eric343 build a Meta that could be used to power both the d25s/ct570. I have both pcdp's and the sound did improved considerably with a cha47/ad8610's. A meta with the ad8610's would be, IMO, a hellava amp. There is something about the sound of the ad8610.

Jul 31, 2002 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 10
Seems like you have a pretty decent setup, especially for college dorm use. If you must improve on it, and stay with something smaller in size, try Jan Meier's Corda HA-1 amp with your existing Sony D25.

It has been suggested that the 120ohm adapter that comes with Meier's PortaCorda can turn an Ety ER4P into something close to an ER4S without the need for an expensive or cumbersome adapter cable. Perhaps the built-in 120ohm output jack on the non-portable Corda HA-1 will give your ER4P's the same change, all in one amp. The HA-1 is compact enough that it will fit neatly underneath the Sony and not take up any extra space on your shelf/desk.

I have never tried this combo myself, but the Corda has never gotten anything but good or even great reviews. And it is around your budget too.

Jul 31, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 10
radrd
HI: Stop and think of what you said. You are happy with your sound. If you turn the er-4p to a er4s you will lose the bass enhancement that the er-4p has. You are young and about to go to collage where things get riped off. Be happy and dont let us influence you with all our great stuff. Just be happy with what you got. Now after collage when you become a brain surgen and make lots of money then go for it all. But just think you said that you are allready happy with your sound. Lucky you. STOP

Jul 31, 2002 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 10
Hi,

What a dilemma!

The D25-s has plenty of power to drive the Ety 4S, and I think that you'll achieve more natural sound.

I suggest that you go to Fix-it's page and make your own adaptor. I did and it works just fine.

Now, with the money you have left over, get some custom ear-molds for the Etys and you'll be in listening heaven.

Jul 31, 2002 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

HI: Stop and think of what you said. You are happy with your sound. If you turn the er-4p to a er4s you will lose the bass enhancement that the er-4p has. You are young and about to go to collage where things get riped off. Be happy and dont let us influence you with all our great stuff. Just be happy with what you got. Now after collage when you become a brain surgen and make lots of money then go for it all. But just think you said that you are allready happy with your sound. Lucky you. STOP

Good advice. Hard to follow sometimes, but good advice...

Jul 31, 2002 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 10
My Klipsch Promedia 5.1 amp just started sending screeching noises to my speakers. Since it's about 1 month out of warranty, I'll probably have to fork out any potential upgrade money to get it repaired/replaced. What a pain in the ass.
mad.gif

Anyway, I'm thinking I'll just stick with what I have since I really do like it. I'm going to need some new filters and (maybe) tips for my Etys here in the next couple of months, so I'll probably buy the adapter cable and give it a try with my D25S. Since I know I will eventually get an amp and want the adapter, there's no reason not to get it and save on shipping later.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll probably have to put the amp off until Christmas or even next summer at the earliest unless my Klipsch PM amp magically heals itself.
frown.gif

Thanks for the advice so far.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 10
It turned out that I still have 12 days on my warranty for my speakers, so it won't cost me anything more than one-way shipping to get them replaced.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, back to my possible upgrade...

Quote:

If you turn the er-4p to a er4s you will lose the bass enhancement that the er-4p has

True, but I'm turning into more of a details freak than a bass-head. From what I have read, there is nothing wrong with the bass of the ER4S, so I doubt that I will be displeased with the conversion.

Quote:

Seems like you have a pretty decent setup, especially for college dorm use.

True, but I will have a good roommate (friend of mine) this fall and our room won't be cramped, so space constrictions and theft potential aren't really issues.

So, after thinking about it some more...

I am leaning toward not bothering, but since I spend so much time listening to music through my Etys, I *know* that I will get my money's worth (with you guys helping me figure out how to best spend my money
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Therefore, let's call it a hypothetical upgrade. My biggest question:

Assuming that I will make my ER4P an ER4S; Is $300 enough (or even too much?) money to make a worthwhile amp upgrade to my potential D25S+ER4S setup?

If not, then how much would be more appropriate for me to plan on spending?

If $300 will do the job, then what kind of META42 (or other) configuration should I be looking at?

So far, I have 1 vote for not upgrading at all, 1 vote for just upgrading to ER4S, 1 vote for a Corda, and 1 vote for a Meta.

Jul 31, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 10
I don't recommend any upgrading for you. Your setup is quite good. Spend the rest of the money on music.

Jul 31, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 10
I have a Corda and a cha47+ad8610 and if I were looking for an amp now, I personally lean towards the meta w/ad8610's. The meta's circuit is more advanced than the Corda and maybe bit cheaper, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back