I'm going crazy! Can't decide (X2? HE400s? K702? HD650? Any other?)
Oct 4, 2016 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Beanlipe

Head-Fier
Guys I've been reading reviews and watching videos for the past 2 months and still can't decide on which headphone to get.

Today I own a SoundMagic HP200 but want to step up a little bit.

I mainly use for competitive gaming and music (heavy metal/classical music/jazz) in that order.

My Budget is about $400 and I was looking to buy the Fiio E18 to pair with whatever I choose.

So I want to go with the X2 but I'm afraid it won't be detailed enough.

Maybe the HE400S but than the soundstage would lack?

The Mad Lust Envy article seems to praise the K702 a lot but I don't know...

Maybe the HD650?

So lost...

Really appreciate your thoughts.

PS: unfortunatelly I won't be able to test it, my parents will be going to US so I have to order from Amazon.

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 7
Cant comment on a lot of what you wrote,but most metal is not recorded with soundstage in mind.....

I wouldnt recommend X2s for metal,great for gaming,EDM,but the mids are too recessed for guitars.

HD650 will sound muddy with metal....mid bass hump is messy with fast music.

I havent heard the HE-400S,but for me,my HE-500 is awesome for metal.

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 7
I'd agree with monsterzero that you don't need a soundstage for the metal. You do need it for classical music.

HD650 are said to have small soundstage.
Planars have low distortion, are fast, accurate and revealing - youd be able to hear slightest details in the classical recording, plus superior bass. Though some say the soundstage is not very good.
I'd add Oppo PM-3 to your list.
HE-500 are legendary, nothing beats them - neither HE-400S, nor HE-560 :)
AKG cans are usually bass-shy.

Are you sure there aren't any HiFi shops sround you? Maybe in another town?

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 7

I mainly use for competitive gaming and music (heavy metal/classical music/jazz) in that order.

My Budget is about $400 and I was looking to buy the Fiio E18 to pair with whatever I choose.

So I want to go with the X2 but I'm afraid it won't be detailed enough.

Maybe the HE400S but than the soundstage would lack?

The Mad Lust Envy article seems to praise the K702 a lot but I don't know...

Maybe the HD650?

First, I'd say that those are all good headphones, and all of them are good values for their price, too!  And all of them have fans, and criticisms too, just like anything else.  (If you gave world peace and delicious food to everyone, about 15% would flame you for it).  So, you can't lose with any of those choices.
Second, I'd drop the K702 to the bottom of your list.  Good soundstaging and detail for classical, but not that enjoyable (IMO) for other musics.
The X2 will be plenty detailed!  That's a good overall choice and I think it does well with all your music preferences.
The HD650 is very nice, as is its brother HD600.
I haven't heard the HE400S except very briefly.  I read that it drops off a bit too much in the bass, and that might not be good for metal & jazz.
I would also recommend the Fostex (Massdrop) TH-X00.

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
  I'd agree with monsterzero that you don't need a soundstage for the metal. You do need it for classical music.

HD650 are said to have small soundstage.
Planars have low distortion, are fast, accurate and revealing - youd be able to hear slightest details in the classical recording, plus superior bass. Though some say the soundstage is not very good.
I'd add Oppo PM-3 to your list.
HE-500 are legendary, nothing beats them - neither HE-400S, nor HE-560 :)
AKG cans are usually bass-shy.

Are you sure there aren't any HiFi shops sround you? Maybe in another town?

The HE500 is not avaliable on Amazon and is out of my budget unfortunatelly.

I live in Brazil and the options here are very, very limited because the prices are insane and very few people can afford/are willing to get pricey headphones.

Cant comment on a lot of what you wrote,but most metal is not recorded with soundstage in mind.....

I wouldnt recommend X2s for metal,great for gaming,EDM,but the mids are too recessed for guitars.

HD650 will sound muddy with metal....mid bass hump is messy with fast music.

I havent heard the HE-400S,but for me,my HE-500 is awesome for metal.

The soundstage + Imaging would be for gaming and classical music. For other genre I'm just looking for clarity and detail.

First, I'd say that those are all good headphones, and all of them are good values for their price, too!  And all of them have fans, and criticisms too, just like anything else.  (If you gave world peace and delicious food to everyone, about 15% would flame you for it).  So, you can't lose with any of those choices.
Second, I'd drop the K702 to the bottom of your list.  Good soundstaging and detail for classical, but not that enjoyable (IMO) for other musics.
The X2 will be plenty detailed!  That's a good overall choice and I think it does well with all your music preferences.
The HD650 is very nice, as is its brother HD600.
I haven't heard the HE400S except very briefly.  I read that it drops off a bit too much in the bass, and that might not be good for metal & jazz.
I would also recommend the Fostex (Massdrop) TH-X00.

I'm also considering the T50rp Mk3's + changing pads, not sure how would they compare, but I think the X2 are a better all-arounder that's why they are my 1st option. But since I've read they had some problems when changing manufacturer and the price is crazy going up and down it's not seeming to be very stable and a secure purchase, idk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back