I'm glad theres a Head-fi
post-180499
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 17

M Rael

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 19, 2001
Messages
675
Reaction score
10
Joined
Aug 19, 2001
Posts
675
Likes
10
I've turned the TV off for the night! I cant afford any more tears right now. I felt better yesterday when I was comforted by the rude awakening we have in store for that megalomaniac in Iraq.

................

Did someone say that life was too short for bad headphones??
I agree more than ever; I guess thats the right reply. I cant hardly imagine anymore what I would do without the ability to put headphones on and shut the (audible) world out. I'm vulnerable to environmental sounds- for better and for worse. And without cans its usually 'for worse.'
I need headphones to keep me happy, its not just a passing phase. Compact Disks merely put the final stamp on the practice: finally a medium I could fully exploit!
Anyway I just wanted to say thanks to Head-fi. And thanks Head-fiers. Days like today remind me of the few simple and reliable pleasures I have, that are totally mine and self-chosen. Headphones.. (laughing to self) who would have thought?

And now if you'll excuse me its time to put the RS1's on and go for a walk on the dirt road I live on, amoung the pine trees in the foothills around Santa Fe. Life is too short. Sometimes.
 
     Share This Post       
post-180502
Post #2 of 17

Sol_Zhen

Takes his kids to the natatorium every morning.
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Messages
2,113
Reaction score
10
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Posts
2,113
Likes
10
I'm a newbie here, and I already like the forum. So much to learn and such a good community of audio nuts!


Peace.
 
     Share This Post       
post-180504
Post #3 of 17

HighwayStar

Won't excrete urine on your holiday (unless you do so to his first).
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
2,168
Reaction score
11
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Posts
2,168
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
I've turned the TV off for the night! I cant afford any more tears right now. I felt better yesterday when I was comforted by the rude awakening we have in store for that megalomaniac in Iraq.

................

Did someone say that life was too short for bad headphones??
I agree more than ever; I guess thats the right reply. I cant hardly imagine anymore what I would do without the ability to put headphones on and shut the (audible) world out. I'm vulnerable to environmental sounds- for better and for worse. And without cans its usually 'for worse.'
I need headphones to keep me happy, its not just a passing phase. Compact Disks merely put the final stamp on the practice: finally a medium I could fully exploit!
Anyway I just wanted to say thanks to Head-fi. And thanks Head-fiers. Days like today remind me of the few simple and reliable pleasures I have, that are totally mine and self-chosen. Headphones.. (laughing to self) who would have thought?

And now if you'll excuse me its time to put the RS1's on and go for a walk on the dirt road I live on, amoung the pine trees in the foothills around Santa Fe. Life is too short. Sometimes.


In my best Austin Powers "Yeah Baby !"

Enjoy your walk
 
     Share This Post       
post-180549
Post #5 of 17

Sol_Zhen

Takes his kids to the natatorium every morning.
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Messages
2,113
Reaction score
10
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Posts
2,113
Likes
10
And, bless you all on this day of remembrance.
 
     Share This Post       
post-180642
Post #6 of 17

Onix

Papá de Iñaki
Joined
Aug 19, 2001
Messages
3,269
Reaction score
93
Joined
Aug 19, 2001
Posts
3,269
Likes
93
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
I've turned the TV off for the night! I cant afford any more tears right now. I felt better yesterday when I was comforted by the rude awakening we have in store for that megalomaniac in Iraq.

................

Did someone say that life was too short for bad headphones??
I agree more than ever; I guess thats the right reply. I cant hardly imagine anymore what I would do without the ability to put headphones on and shut the (audible) world out. I'm vulnerable to environmental sounds- for better and for worse. And without cans its usually 'for worse.'
I need headphones to keep me happy, its not just a passing phase. Compact Disks merely put the final stamp on the practice: finally a medium I could fully exploit!
Anyway I just wanted to say thanks to Head-fi. And thanks Head-fiers. Days like today remind me of the few simple and reliable pleasures I have, that are totally mine and self-chosen. Headphones.. (laughing to self) who would have thought?

And now if you'll excuse me its time to put the RS1's on and go for a walk on the dirt road I live on, amoung the pine trees in the foothills around Santa Fe. Life is too short. Sometimes.



Life is too short for bad things, all bad things. I think we are so lucky indeed to be here.
 
     Share This Post       
post-180644
Post #7 of 17

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
Joined
Jun 29, 2001
Messages
8,517
Reaction score
2,260
Joined
Jun 29, 2001
Posts
8,517
Likes
2,260
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
Compact Disks merely put the final stamp on the practice: finally a medium I could fully exploit


Compact Discs miss all the air and ambience of a recording. I lose interest after about seven minutes. Life is too short to waste much of it on a fraudulent medium. But this is what we are being forced to do. There are not many other options.
 
     Share This Post       
post-180696
Post #8 of 17

fyrfytrhoges

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 15, 2002
Messages
2,286
Reaction score
11
Joined
May 15, 2002
Posts
2,286
Likes
11
cmon beagle, way to take a nice thought and turn it in to a debate over format. obviously you didn't get the point of mrael's statement.
 
     Share This Post       
post-180702
Post #9 of 17

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
Joined
Jun 29, 2001
Messages
8,517
Reaction score
2,260
Joined
Jun 29, 2001
Posts
8,517
Likes
2,260
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
cmon beagle, way to take a nice thought and turn it in to a debate over format. obviously you didn't get the point of mrael's statement.


M Rael wrote some nice stuff, and it is much appreciated. He even posted some nice pictures of the HP-1 with the drivers out so we could see what it was all about. I did get his point and I feel good in the community of Head-Fi. M Rael spoke well about the RS-1. In times like these, one needs a good pair of headphones for music to soothe the soul.
 
     Share This Post       
post-180707
Post #10 of 17

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Messages
3,487
Reaction score
18
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Posts
3,487
Likes
18
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Compact Discs miss all the air and ambience of a recording. I lose interest after about seven minutes. Life is too short to waste much of it on a fraudulent medium. But this is what we are being forced to do. There are not many other options.


Geez it plays the music. You like music don't you?

coughthreadcrappingcough



Enjoying music is what its all about.

Biggie.
 
     Share This Post       
post-180715
Post #11 of 17

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
Joined
Jun 29, 2001
Messages
8,517
Reaction score
2,260
Joined
Jun 29, 2001
Posts
8,517
Likes
2,260
Music is what counts. Music and great headphones
 
     Share This Post       
post-180751
Post #12 of 17

M Rael

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 19, 2001
Messages
675
Reaction score
10
Joined
Aug 19, 2001
Posts
675
Likes
10
You guys are too much. Like usual.

Well I'd already been informed that my PCDP was a laughingstock and that I wasnt getting hardly any performance out of my RS1's because of it. Now I find out that the digital medium itself is flawed and that that means even less performance, added to my already heinous audio standards. Yo! This is going in the wrong direction!

Seriously though, I realize some people treat CD's like crap; tossing them around, using them for drink coasters, frisbee's, letting them get scratched up, etc. Not me! I had albums in my early days (Marks Hobbies, Vol. 1) and I never felt like they were especially valuable. But I've always treated my CD's as something valuable because to me they are. Whens the last time you listened to a portable battery powered turntable anyway? Ok now try jogging with it. Increased function has value in and of itself.
As for sound-- I read that true 16 bit resolution actually sounds really really good. I have a Stereophile where they get into the technical details why it is we dont actually currently HAVE full 16 bit resolution, but apparently the reviewer heard a machine that spits out full 16 bit and he was blown away by it. I dont know.. I have a $2,000 CD player at home and nobody is going to tell me it sounds even twice as good as my PCDP (much less 10 times as good.) And compared to analog? I dont know and I dont want to know. I'm not burying my head in the sand, I'm burying it in the clouds. That leaves more vinyl in the world for you though Beagle, so you should be happy.
 
     Share This Post       
post-180756
Post #13 of 17

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
Joined
Oct 11, 2001
Messages
9,570
Reaction score
37
Joined
Oct 11, 2001
Posts
9,570
Likes
37
My wife who is completely addicted to television revealed to me that she could live without TV but not music. I believe music should be more correctly termed the universal language. Over and above math. It is said when one sings in church, they pray twice. Even God digs music



Enjoy M Rael, I join you in your RS-1 bliss today.
 
     Share This Post       
post-180957
Post #14 of 17

dougli

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 3, 2002
Messages
543
Reaction score
10
Joined
May 3, 2002
Posts
543
Likes
10
I think it's good to pause like this every once in a while, and reflect on our blessings. There are enough other things in life to wear a person down, and sour one's attitude. We're a group of people who find moments of happiness in something that so many others could care less about. It's good to be alive in what may well be the Golden Age of Headphones...what a Magnificant Obsession.
 
     Share This Post       
post-181034
Post #15 of 17

HighwayStar

Won't excrete urine on your holiday (unless you do so to his first).
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
2,168
Reaction score
11
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Posts
2,168
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally posted by dougli
I think it's good to pause like this every once in a while, and reflect on our blessings. There are enough other things in life to wear a person down, and sour one's attitude. We're a group of people who find moments of happiness in something that so many others could care less about. It's good to be alive in what may well be the Golden Age of Headphones...what a Magnificant Obsession.


The Golden Age of Headphones, directly attributed to the increase and availability of quality headphone amplifiers...

 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top