I'm Getting Blued...
Sep 18, 2002 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

ChenaynayC

100+ Head-Fier
Today I mailed by Corda HA-1 to Kurt for his 'blue' modifications! I'm very excited and had to tell someone, and since you're the only folks I know that 'get it' I thought I'd share.

I can hardly wait for his return. So for the next 3 days at home it's me and the Grado RA-1. After that I pack up the road rig (Minidisc/CHA47) and head for 'Hotlanta' for a week.

So, for those of you who have been 'blued' ... what do you like best about it?

Sep 18, 2002 at 6:28 AM Post #2 of 37
I'm excited for you. I remember my own anticipation as I waited for my Corda to be Blued. Overall, what I like best about the changes is the increase in richness and detail. That may sound simplistic, but I am still amazed at how much more musical "presence", across the spectrum, is drawn out of all types of recordings.

Or maybe it's that cool blue LED. I usually listen at night with the lights out, and the new blue light gives me enough illumination to more easily work the DVD player's remote control.

Sep 18, 2002 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 37
Although I don't have a corda, I just finished my meta42 with a blue LED. Honest to god, blue leds make things sound twice as good as components without blue leds.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 37
Are you sure about that? I'm partial to white LCDs (in transparent cases).

Don't get me wrong, though -- I do prefer blue lights on opaque cases. (I'd better, since I myself po-ssess blue eyes and a non-transparent skull.)

Sep 18, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 37
hmm, no, I really have to say I like blue more. I find that it gives me a more detailed and neutral midrange. The white led, on the other hand, gives more detailed bass. . . its really a tossup. I do have a black case though. . .

Sep 18, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 37
Unfortunately, my skull's lacking highs in the forehead-to-upper-brow terrarium, so perhaps my blue irises need to be darker (or my sclerae need a veinage adjustment).

Yes, and the white LCD seems to be *pulsing against a black background* when I listen. (Funny thing: the case is gray.) My Sennheisers feel especially virile right now.

Sep 18, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 37
Well mine's still a "Corda Red" as I haven't replaced the LED, but I did do the most of the important mods.

You'll hear much more definition and texture in the bass and midrange, and less grain and harshness in the treble. I found the stock Corda to be fatiguing on some recordings, but this is no longer the case after the mods.

Sep 19, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 37
I feel compelled to contribute to this thread but believe I've said all I can say on the matter. I guess Kurt's really pushin' 'em out, now.

Sep 19, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
Then uh, why'd ya post?

biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Habit.

Sep 19, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 37
dougli: Your impressions of yours helped me push over the edge on this one. I can hardly wait to hear it. I hope it helps the Senn 600s out a bit. I must confess to having a liking for blue lights myself. My car amp has blue lights - and sometimes at night I pull a rear seat forward just for the ambiance!
biggrin.gif

andrzejpw: when do we get pics of your creation! How does it sound?

braillediver: What are you waiting for? I'll definitely post my impressions.

fiddler: Hmmmm, sounds like your unit is the 'blue incognito.' Your description of the improvements make me even more hopeful I'll consider it money well spent.

kelly: I've read your review quite a bit. It helped me make the decision to go for it. Very nice. Thanks!

Oct 1, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #15 of 37
Got it today! I've been listening a couple of hours now - and I keep thinking to myself 'this thing is silky blue'. It is very, very smooth. It helps the Senns alot. They don't sound so recessed in the midrange and that was my biggest problem with them. They may survive afterall, but I'll need to do more listening. The 325s are wondrous with 'silky blue'. They're 'all up in your face' and still smooth.

Kurt's mods change this amp entirely. The sounds are bigger and richer, silence is more 'silent', and I'm hearing even more of the nuances in the music. The bass is deeper and much better defined. I worried that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference! Ha! This is a whole different ballgame.

If you have a Corda - send it to Kurt. You'll be amazed. I know I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back