I'm confused. Mixamp, sound cards, head phones, XBox 360 and PC
Oct 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rjjasick

New Head-Fier
I'm getting confused the more I read.  Can someone point me in the right direction to un-confuse me, or simply help me out.  Two part question.

Simple one, it sounds like if I get a good set of headphones like the AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition, I should also get a mixamp to work the best on my Xbox 360.  I'm currently using Turtle Beach XP400, while I like the wireless, it's not mandatory.  Ideally, I would like to move between my Xbox and my PC.

My PC has an old Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatality Profession with 7.1 sound on it.  I've been using a Razer Tiamet 7.1, but again seems like I'm truly missing out on "Good FPS Sound."  So I assume I don't need a mixamp with the sound card.  What confuses me too is that going from true 7.1 surround setup with my current system to a single plug in set of good headphones will actually be better if I use simulated surround sound.

Again sorry for the newbie questions, but I'd really like to get a good set of headphones to move between both PC and Console.  But I'm a little confused.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 5
My two cents
Your current Titanium sound card should do Headphone Surround Sound (for the PC) better then the Astro Mix-amp.
So getting the Mix-amp ($100-$120) is really only going to be used with the xBox.

Get a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier ($99), to be used with the Titanium sound card.
The Magni could also be daisy chained to the Mix-amp.

Headphone wise, maybe get the lower costing AKG K612 Pro, $180.

Or combing the Mix-amp and Magni budget and get a (used?) Yamaha receiver ($200-$230)
If you were planning on using speakers also
As the Yamaha comes with basic Headphone Surround Sound (for the xBox)
and you can run optical from the Titanium to the Yamaha
The Yamaha receiver can easily drive headphones, like the 120-Ohm AKG K612 Pro.
You can run HDMI from the xBox and optical (or HDMI) from the PC to the Yamaha.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 5
What makes you want K702s? They're pretty hard to drive (for dynamic drivers) and they have a massive soundstage that isn't exactly 
"realistic" and really isn't all that great for FPS gaming.  "virtual surround sound" is also a total joke, unless you have headphones with multiple drivers in each cup you're wasting your money.  

I would look at ath ad900s or HD598s both have more realistic imaging and are easy to drive, meaning you won't have to drop another ~$100 on an amp.  There are a ton of other great cans for gaming in your price range.  

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 5
I picked the K702's from Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide, and I really like the Blue Black color (not as important). But the more reading I do; I think I'd prefer a closed back set of head phones for when I'm playing at night. That being said, if the leakage on a open backed set isn't terrible, I'm okay with that too. Less volume less leakage...

I suppose I should have mentioned too that the PC and XBox are in completely different rooms. I've already got the XBox hooked up through an HDMI into a Samsung Home Theater in a Box System. So when no one is home or I'm playing anything single player I'm using the surround sound speakers.

I do a similar thing with my PC. I have the Logitech Z-5500 speakers I use when I'm not playing the FPS games or when no one is home.

How can you tell from a spec sheet how much power you need to drive a certain impedance? The Schiit Magni drives 1.2W into 32 ohms, but assuming again, the lower impedance cans the less power to drive them.

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 5
"virtual surround sound" is also a total joke, unless you have headphones with multiple drivers in each cup you're wasting your money.

You sure you don't have it backwards there? It's the multi-driver sets that are crap by most accounts, and quality stereo headphones with CMSS-3D Headphone, Dolby Headphone, or other such features tend to work out much better.

Anyway, for a sub-$200 gaming headphone that isn't difficult to drive at all: Sony MDR-MA900. That is all. (Well, there's also the tried-and-true Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, if you don't mind having practically no bass.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back