I'm buying 5.1 Surround Headphones - Any Suggestions?
Apr 17, 2006 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

fubusmaximus

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am buying a pair of surround headphones and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what to check out. I already searched this site and didn't find any reviews of any surround headphones, but if you know of any I may have missed, please point me in the right direction.

Apr 17, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 46
i would go with an xfi soundcard and the best set of sennheisser phones you can afford. the 3d positioning in games is incredible. the card can take surround sound info from games and movies and put them in stereo headphones and does a great job.

Apr 17, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 46
I agree, high end sennheiser/audio-technica headphones with an x-fi is an amazing experience. FYI, the virtual headphone surround on the x-fi simulates 9.1 surround.

Apr 17, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 46
My suggestion? Don't get 5.1 headphones. I own a pair (Zalman) and the really suck. Sound quality is absolutely horrible, even with games, and the positioning really isn't that great compared to regular headphones in the pricerange.

Want excellent gaming cans? Check out the Audio Technica A-500
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
My suggestion? Don't get 5.1 headphones. I own a pair (Zalman) and the really suck. Sound quality is absolutely horrible, even with games, and the positioning really isn't that great compared to regular headphones in the pricerange.

Want excellent gaming cans? Check out the Audio Technica A-500
wink.gif

Seconded.
biggrin.gif

[size=xx-small]Actually... K1000 + Nice Sub ftw....
very_evil_smiley.gif
[/size]

Apr 17, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 46
I have the Pioneer SE-DIR800C and I love them, but it's just Dolby Headphone processing with a great pair of wireless headphones. They're great for watching movies because they have a open, out of your head feel, so you almost always forget you're listening to headphones. None of the other headphones I've used DH with had that feel, though I've only tried a couple of others worth mentioning. I don't use them for gaming, only watching movies. They're the only wireless headphones I've used, but the negative things I've heard about other wireless models aren't true for this. You can't leave the room because it uses infared to transmit the signal, but logically since it's designed for DH you're not going to need to leave the room, since you'll be watching a movie or playing a game.

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by HoichiTheEarless
I have the Pioneer SE-DIR300C and I love them, but it's just Dolby Headphone processing with a great pair of wireless headphones. They're great for watching movies because they have a open, out of your head feel, so you almost always forget you're listening to headphones. None of the other headphones I've used DH with had that feel, though I've only tried a couple of others worth mentioning. I don't use them for gaming, only watching movies. They're the only wireless headphones I've used, but the negative things I've heard about other wireless models aren't true for this. You can't leave the room because it uses infared to transmit the signal, but logically since it's designed for DH you're not going to need to leave the room, since you'll be watching a movie or playing a game.

I have them too and I absolutely love them for watching DVD's solo. They are a single-purpose device, but they serve that purpose wonderfully. As I posted on another thread on this topic, I get a better surround sound experience with this product than with most home video set ups. They can't compete with a dedicated room with superb acoustics, high-end gear and perfect speaker placement, but for watching DVD's by yourself I guarantee you won't be disappointed. I have used mine almost every night since I bought them (the week they came out), and have never had the slightest trouble with them. Great product.

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by fubusmaximus
Hi, I am buying a pair of surround headphones and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what to check out. I already searched this site and didn't find any reviews of any surround headphones, but if you know of any I may have missed, please point me in the right direction.

Well, everyone in this thread seems to have the same suggestion that I will. So here it is: Don't get them. A couple of friends let me try their Zalmans and they're just a gimmick. By putting 3 drivers on one earcup (1 left, 1 middle, 1 right), they kinda fell short when it came to the bass that each cup delivered. Just go with an x-fi (or not) and get AT-500s or 555s for gaming.

Apr 17, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #11 of 46
Do what I do: Place a regular setup of 5.1 speakers in a wire circle, hang it above you and around your head, and sit on the subwoofer. My only problem is that the front speaker gets in my way of seeing the screen. Also, sometimes when a grenade hits, the bass is so loud I have to disconnect to get a new pair of boxers.

Apr 17, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #12 of 46
The most affordable solution coming soon is the JVC adapter with dolby headphone then all you would need is headphones, but it would seem that in my experience higher quality headphones will give you a much better sound.

Pioneer Dir800c is the most affordable best solution I can think of, my friend is using them with DH2 and he is totally floored with them and from what he tells me his earing is a slightly impaired as well.

In the past I have done listening tests with dolby headphone in basic dolby surround and it does a good job at that, depending on the right setting for the right surroundings. I am sorry but home theater has its flaws as well, who has the time and money to completely rebuild and redesign their bedroom or living room just so they can set-up their over priced state of the art home theater system, if they got the time then they can go for it with flying colors. But not many of us have this priviledge and have no time wasting their prescious working days off waltzing with a set of speakers that keep making you more and more obssessed with getting them to sound better. I've spent 9 years of my youth trying to discover the matrix of how surround sound works in basic rooms some with bad accoustics at that. Now using dolby headphone and my receiver manual I think I have it setup propperly but am convinced that the right corner needs acoustical treatment behind the right rear channel which sounds to wet and muddys the tone. Wow what a challenge the whole things is.

DH simply slaps it on the table with two headphones and says, you god'da hear this!

It is just as spendy as HTIB, but so much easier!

Dolby Headphone brings you a bit closer to that acoustical plain of surround sound bliss, where all the channels sound in the correct tone. I have noticed this, I didn't notice this with a pair of matching speakers from front and back, its obvious that bad acoustics tend to change the tones and make them sound unique in each direction giving you somewhat uneven sound balance. DH has this advantage making each tone in each direction sounding identical with one another so the surround nuances are so perfect they almost seem magical. I could not even make this happen with my system using identical speakers due to the slightly poor acoustics in the room. With DH your worries are over, just enjoy the experience, and the better height dimension as well
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 46
Multiple drivers = bad.
Surround processing = fairly okay really.

A nice pair of headphones paired with a good Dolby Headphone processor is quite pleasent for films and games with a surround soundtrack.

Apr 17, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #15 of 46
Insert plug for Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro/80 as a great headphone for gaming HERE.

Seriously. It sounds like a broken record, but for gaming, the two top choices here have been the DT 770 and the Audio Technica A900.

I went with the DT 770 because I could buy them locally and they had velour ear cups that I thought were kinda neat. They have not disappointed - great for games, movies, music. Even my iPod Nano has no trouble driving them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back