I'm a drummer who needs headphones!
Dec 1, 2008 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

KentaroShinseki

New Head-Fier
I'm a drummer and I need some good headphones. I'm looking to spend hopefully no more than $150 USD on a pair.

I'm looking for something that I will be listening to a vary wide variety of music on, both while im out and about on my mp3 player (gonna be getting a 120gb zune this week), and also while im drumming obviously. It would be nice if the headphones were detailed, I need to pick apart songs to some degree to hear drum parts in them.

I think it goes without saying, but I need noise isolation or cancellation. I much prefer actual headphones over-the-ear rather than in-ear, but price/features are more important.

Size doesn't matter a whole lot, I don't mind looking like a dork with a huge set of cans in public as long as the music sounds great
o2smile.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 8
ATH-M50. $160, and they stock them at Guitar center if you can get to one. Great sound quality, good bass, good isolation, and no need for an amp.

Also, for phones, around ear= circumaural, on-ear=supra-aural, in ear= iems in case you're doing reading elsewhere.

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATH-M50. $160, and they stock them at Guitar center if you can get to one. Great sound quality, good bass, good isolation, and no need for an amp.

It's funny you mention those, I was looking at those in particular for a while now... and recently the sony MDR V6's, and Senn HD280. The ATH are definitely the most pricey out of them all though.

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 8
V6/7506 will not isolate enough, and 280 will not sound too good, and especially lacking on the basslines (yeah, you have to hear those too).
I would go for an IEM if that doesn't bother you because they're basically music making earplugs and drums are loud, like REAL loud. I do electronic drums currently and I can still hear it with my K181DJ on, so I'd definitely go the IEM route. But yeah, the K181DJ is another option.
You'll want the most isolating headphones if going that way, and there aren't that many that fit the bill for that alone: K181DJ, HD25-1, HD280... You need something that *clamps* or you won't get good isolation.

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #6 of 8
Just a heads up as a drummer myself,

If you get IEMs make sure you get something that has significant bass presence, I get a great seal with my Super.fi 3's but their lack of bass means you only get a helping of snare and cymbals.

I usually use my K81DJs for when I'm drumming and they isolate great and give enough of a bass thump that I can hear them at a moderate volume even when I'm pounding something out. You can find them for about $70 new and they seem to go for about $45 used on the forums. Keep in mind they are supra-aural (On-ear) which you might find uncomfortable.

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #7 of 8
Try to get to a guitar center. They carry a lot of mid fi dj phones such as the m50 and a few others. I saw a k81 also at one in St. louis. They'll let you take them out of the box and audition all of them.

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #8 of 8
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the DT 770 M ? It's commonly used by drummers, and specially designed for them with fantastic isolation. The DT150 is also a good pick, imo.

Check this site:
Drummer Headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back