iHP-120 and Windows 98 SE?
Dec 16, 2003 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JaZZ

Headphoneus Supremus
For Windows 98 SE the iHP needs the iRiver Manager to transfer files... that's what the manual sais. But it sais nothing about it if the iHP will show as a drive in the Explorer anyway -- and if an upload of music files to the computer is possible. I'm unsure because the iRiver Manager doesn't allow this in the case of the iFP-395T. Anybody knows?

peacesign.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
For Windows 98 SE the iHP needs the iRiver Manager to transfer files... that's what the manual sais. But it sais nothing about it if the iHP will show as a drive in the Explorer anyway -- and if an upload of music files to the computer is possible. I'm unsure because the iRiver Manager doesn't allow this in the case of the iFP-395T. Anybody knows?

I use the IHP-120 on my Win98se notebook and on a WinME desktop. It appears as a external drive on both. I did have to install USB drivers for the IHP-120 on the Win98SE machine. The WinME did not need any drivers.

Since the IHP-120 appears as an external drive, there is no problem moving music and data files to another PC. In fact, I usually download music from my notebook to the IHP-120 and later sync the IHP-120 to my desktop so that the desktop has a duplicate of my music files.

BTW, I do not use any other Iriver software with my IHP-120. In fact, I use the directory sync function of Total Commander to move my music files.

Dec 16, 2003 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks!

From the iHP-120 manual:
Quote:

Windows ME, Windows 2000 and Windows XP will recognize the iHP as a USB drive automatically and you can use the player without installing iHP Manager. For Windows 98 SE users, the iHP Manager must be installed for the computer to recognize the player. All users must install iHP Manager to use the Database function.

So the user manual is lying?
tongue.gif
It seems so.

peacesign.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 6
I would say not exactly lying.

When you install the IHP manager (actually DB scan update program), you install the USB drivers for Win98SE. The IHP manager is nothing like the other Iriver music manager programs. It is a context menu option for your IHP external drive. When you right click on the drive letter for the IHP, you will see a IHP option to run the DB update utility.

The music manager for the IFP-390T is the menu shell necessary to transfer music to the IFP-390T unless you use the UMS firmware upgrade.

Dec 17, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by IpaqMan
When you right click on the drive letter for the IHP, you will see a IHP option to ruin the DB update utility.

Huh... ru(i)n...?
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

peacesign.gif

Dec 17, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 6
lol... some features

Users who are viewing this thread

Back