iHome - Might be a good dedicated source?
Jan 9, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 58
Meh, you could always just build your own dedicated source easily enough. At least around here that's probably a better choice.

Jan 9, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 58
Really depends on what you're after. The G5 stock came with an optical out. I don't know many computers out there that do. Who knows if there is an iHome if it will have one, but something to consider. If fans-less like the Cube, something else.

Jan 9, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 58
The iHome/headless mac is currently just a rumor. The pics there should be considered a hoax until proven otherwise. In other words, don't start making plans until after any MacWorld announcements.

Jan 9, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 58
I use a G4 Mac as my primary source. But the issue isn't the computer. It's the sound card or DAC. I don't how good the rest of your equipment is or what you expect from a source. Apple's analog outputs are OK, but so far they haven't been at the same level as the best sound cards or external DACs . Depending upon the details of the machine you'll have to choose either a PCI card or an external device of some sort. I'm using a Revolution 7.1 to do digital output, with a Benchmark DAC-1.

Jan 10, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
The iHome/headless mac is currently just a rumor. The pics there should be considered a hoax until proven otherwise. In other words, don't start making plans until after any MacWorld announcements.

I agree completely.

It seems to me that the "best" computer source would be just about any computer that can output wirelessly to an Airport Express. This allows you to put the "noisy" computer in a closet, different room, whatever.

Plug a Keyspan remote into the AE, and you've got a simple remote control for iTunes
580smile.gif

Jan 10, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam
Plug a Keyspan remote into the AE, and you've got a simple remote control for iTunes
580smile.gif

With AE and the Keyspan you're close to Soundbridge/Sqeezebox prices.

Jan 10, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx

Unless you've already got a Keyspan and got the AE for $100
icon10.gif

Jan 10, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 58
Quote:

Kind of hard to dispute a video
tongue.gif
Unless someone made a mockup model just for that purpose...

Jan 10, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #10 of 58
Quote:

It seems to me that the "best" computer source would be just about any computer that can output wirelessly to an Airport Express. This allows you to put the "noisy" computer in a closet, different room, whatever.

I do just that, it is very convenient for Redbook in general and especially to use playlists on the big rig. My el-cheapo DAC solution still suffers from the sync problem with the APX though, and I don't know whether it's really an iTunes-related fault or just because the DAC is old and has no fancy jitter correction etc.. Once I get rid of that & equip my old iBook (now serves as my rc
very_evil_smiley.gif
) with a *silent* HD the setup will be pretty much perfect. Or maybe Steve has a less extravagant rc up his sleeve. Those iHome pics are fake btw., take a closer look.

Jan 10, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReasonablyLucid
Kind of hard to dispute a video
tongue.gif
Unless someone made a mockup model just for that purpose...

With the quality of both the pics and video, it doesn't even have to be a very good mockup. Until I see an official announcement or detailed pics of one dissected, I'm assuming it's fake.

Jan 10, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #12 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx

Make that old Sqeezebox prices. See they just shot up this morning. Wondering if their having a Macworld 'discount' bringing it back to their old price?

Jan 10, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

The headless mac IS real. See here: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000383026207/
Apple's got to be furious
icon10.gif

That video floating around is fake, however. The box has the wrong font, and from the video it appears to be just an empty box (the guy manipulates it with very little effort). Photoshop forensics have also turned up lots of incriminating evidence.

Jan 10, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 58
Quote:

Maybe. I wonder how the audio quality of the Airport Express is. Given it's such a small device, it's power supply may not be that great and plus it has a computer wireless network part which is full of noise.

Jan 10, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Maybe. I wonder how the audio quality of the Airport Express is. Given it's such a small device, it's power supply may not be that great and plus it has a computer wireless network part which is full of noise.

It's surprisingly good from the analog out. That's just "at a glance" though, did no critical listening. Strong signal, no interference. Using the optical out... well, then it's limited only by what you have on the harddrive and how much you've spent on the DAC
very_evil_smiley.gif
I just hope for an iTunes update to do away with the sync problem I have here, i'll do some more testing & turn off all the 11mbps devices tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back