iHome - Might be a good dedicated source?
Jan 10, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReasonablyLucid
Kind of hard to dispute a video
tongue.gif
Unless someone made a mockup model just for that purpose...

That video was a fake. It was pretty well done. They used a cardboard box and printed out sheets of paper to go over it to make it look like a computer.

Jan 11, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #17 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwin902
The headless mac IS real. See here: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000383026207/
Apple's got to be furious
icon10.gif

That video floating around is fake, however. The box has the wrong font, and from the video it appears to be just an empty box (the guy manipulates it with very little effort). Photoshop forensics have also turned up lots of incriminating evidence.

blink.gif

Well, then. In that case, my original statement of "wait for MacWorld" still stands, since we still don't know what the little bugger looks like or what exatly is under the hood.
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #19 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Hey... not so bad. http://www.apple.com/macmini/

indexdimensions20050111.jpg

Nice.

So has anyone been able to find more info on this? Specifically, just how loud is it? Apple's site just says "whisper quiet".

It's hard to tell from the few internal pictures, but I didn't see a fan. It also looks like it's using a 2.5" HDD.

Not that great as far as bang-for-the-buck, but it's relatively inexpensive... It would also look nice sitting next to my VDA-1/VAC-1
icon10.gif

Jan 11, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #20 of 58
Not bad. I've been using an ebay parts assembled mac for sometime in a rackmount case. CPU upgrade options as well as used cubes have been kind of expensive but this is around the ballpark and I could just save space.

Jan 11, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #21 of 58
it is a nice looking box. Too bad it doesn't have digital out or a pci slot. I'm sure it's pretty quiet, since apple's good at making quiet machines. Maybe with a decent usb source it'd make a good pc for music. (Maybe the perreaux one coming out?)

Jan 12, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #22 of 58
Wow, this is an awesome new machine! Fanless, whisper-quiet hard drive, six and a half inches square, for only $499. Unbeatable really as a media PC for the living room.

I've read all the threads about people trying to build quiet PCs, and it always seems to end up being more expensive than they initially planned and often less quiet. Even when successful, the machines are not as small and elegant as this. It's the size of a CD jewel case!

The only caveat is that the audio out doesn't seem to be digital, but an Airport Express or M-Audio Transit would take care of that problem.

Really, as a PC only guy up to now, I'm impressed. Great piece of design.

indextop20050111.jpg

Jan 12, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #23 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hajime
That video was a fake. It was pretty well done. They used a cardboard box and printed out sheets of paper to go over it to make it look like a computer.

So, uhh, you were sayin'...?

Jan 12, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #24 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spankypoo
So, uhh, you were sayin'...?

Well, it's pretty clear that the video was a fake. It was a pretty good guess, though. But the differences are obvious.

Jan 12, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #26 of 58
Cute design exercise, but what would anybody use it for? Considering that there are some killer laptop deals out there right now (Sony vaio K-33 for $1050 for instance) I am having a hard time figuring out the target market.

gerG

Jan 12, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #27 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
Cute design exercise, but what would anybody use it for? Considering that there are some killer laptop deals out there right now (Sony vaio K-33 for $1050 for instance) I am having a hard time figuring out the target market.

gerG

I think the target market is for existing pc users(who have a monitor/keyboard) who are fed up with their windows viruses or getting bogged down w/ spyware. It's definitely NOT for the power/professional user, but rather the home user who wants an affordable and exciting alternative to see what the Mac fuss is all about.

Oh, and don't forget about all the PC users who already own an iPod... For $500, they've got a great digital hub, including a ton of new software like iLife...

Jan 12, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #29 of 58
I already have my ipod shuffle ordered, next may be the ihome. I was thinking of using connected to my 50" rear proj lcd tv with my airport express. I've wanted a mac for a long time and have held off since I have a nice Dell notebook that my office bought for me. I never felt it made sense to spend another $1500 to $2000 on a powerbook. I was considering the imac but I have this giant screen to use so the ihome may make sense. I am going to have to check one out at an Apple Store.

Jan 12, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #30 of 58
ssuh, good point. I had not considered it as a companion box for an existing PC. That actually makes a lot of sense, since itunes seems to run the best on a mac. I have been using my Ti-book as a music player at office when I am using my real computer to get work done. Similar idea.

I am surprised at the lack of a digital output for audio. Maybe they are saving that for the next version.

btw, outboard DVD burners work just great through the firewire port. I have never tried usb2.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back