Ig Nobel Prize for Placebo Effect
Nov 4, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very sympathetic to this...if we can show that cables (or whatever) make no perceivable difference in SQ in DBTs, and if we spread the word enough, hopefully we can save a lot of people from spending money pointlessly and (more importantly, perhaps...) begin enjoying their cheap(er) gear.

However, I'm reminded by Hume that the reason is the slave of the passions, and I'm sceptical that we can ever rid people of their potentially false beliefs. People will doubt the science, no doubt.

Hey, people are still looking for Big Foot.
L3000.gif

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) -

scep·ti·cal /ˈskɛptɪkəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[skep-ti-kuhl]

adj. Variant of skeptical.

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Man of Genius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because once you have exposed Mr Placebo for the lying biatch that he is you can then enjoy the cheaper stuff without having to spend the extra dough.
Reality can have it's perks too.

Actually, placebo experiments show that even after you tell someone that what they swallowed/felt/heard was a placebo, it still doesn't make the effect of the placebo diminish.

So, in a strange way, even the box the headphones come in affects the sound of those headphones. The grandeur of the presentation will make the person expect better sound, and they will hear it (not just imagine it, mind you - actually hear it. The neurological response changes).

Delusion has its perks
tongue.gif

That said...I don't own any cd demagnetisers\expensive power cables\vibration pads etc. Unfortunately I'm a sceptic too ;p

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn straight- for the small amount of time I was forced to use a thin, piddly USB cable with my DAC, I kept fretting till I got a nice, thick one. No logic or reasoning involved. And I sure couldn't tell a difference, either, but at least I could rest.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't USB a digital signal..? Like HDMI, it either gets there or it doesnt, so you can't really improve the quality of the signal because if it doesnt all get there, none of it gets there!

That's just my understanding of it, feel free to correct me if I have been misinformed..

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stikk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't USB a digital signal..? Like HDMI, it either gets there or it doesnt, so you can't really improve the quality of the signal because if it doesnt all get there, none of it gets there!

That's just my understanding of it, feel free to correct me if I have been misinformed..

It IS, that's why placebo was the most important factor in my decision.
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #20 of 32
I am getting really fed up with reading hyperbolic claims from manufacturers that thier product uniquely delivers the "emotion" of the music. The musician does that! It is as if I have a well machined ball bearing and someone comes along and tells me they have a better machined one. Maybe but it won't make any practical difference. Sorry. The last thing we need is another analogy uI am very close to giving this hobby up. Grrrr!

Jul 14, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #21 of 32
Damn straight- for the small amount of time I was forced to use a thin, piddly USB cable with my DAC, I kept fretting till I got a nice, thick one. No logic or reasoning involved. And I sure couldn't tell a difference, either, but at least I could rest.

This isn't placebo. It's OCD.

Jul 14, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #22 of 32

This isn't placebo. It's OCD.
Ha ha. I was thinking of you when I posted here. Very much enjoying not lugging the Mojo around thanks to you!

Jul 14, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #23 of 32
We reserve the right to claim you as a Sound Science success story!

You were really mad at me in the beginning? Remember? Now we're pals.

Jul 14, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it works, it's all godd i guess. I know people who's just can't relax with cheap cables(or anything) in their system. They say - even i can't know for sure is there any difference or not, i'm feeling much better about my system when all the components are top-notch.

Sure, but you could have easily trained out that irrational response, and it is an irrational response, by continuing to stick with the thin cable until your brain finally got exhausted. It would have taken some effort and time, but perhaps that would have been a good investment?

Jul 14, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #25 of 32
We reserve the right to claim you as a Sound Science success story!

You were really mad at me in the beginning? Remember? Now we're pals.
Happy to be SS poster boy! I honestly don't remember being mad at you. You have saved me going down the rabbit hole several times over the years.

Jul 14, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #26 of 32
If you cease to be a slave to your passions then you have no reason to listen to music any more, as it will not evoke the feelings in you that it once did.
I am not entirely clear what you are trying to say so perhaps I am misunderstanding you. Are you saying that if somebody is driven by passion to waste money on things like special cables, but stops doing so they are no longer able to enjoy the music at the same level? If so that just doesn't seem to make sense and there is no rationale basis for, or way to test those assumptions. Sorry, hope that didn't come across as too harsh, but this is the Sound Science forum where we are allowed to be honest in our critiques.

Jul 14, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #27 of 32
I am not entirely clear what you are trying to say so perhaps I am misunderstanding you. Are you saying that if somebody is driven by passion to waste money on things like special cables, but stops doing so they are no longer able to enjoy the music at the same level? If so that just doesn't seem to make sense and there is no rationale basis for, or way to test those assumptions. Sorry, hope that didn't come across as too harsh, but this is the Sound Science forum where we are allowed to be honest in our critiques.

You’re responding to a post from 2008 from a member who’s last post was in 2009. Not sure you’re going to get a clarification...

Jul 14, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #28 of 32
You’re responding to a post from 2008 from a member who’s last post was in 2009. Not sure you’re going to get a clarification...
Ha ha, totally missed that. So funny.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #29 of 32
It's not that the placebo effect isn't real or doesn't improve audio perception of the listener, but that there's so much snake oil in the high end audio industry that it's unethical.

Selling a $8000 cable that passes digital signals is just a scam - whether it evokes placebo effect or not.

Jul 21, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #30 of 32
Encouraging placebo is good for business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back