iFi nano iCAN. "Name that Attenuator" competition. Winner no. 1 winner of iCAN nano is...
Jun 8, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #422 of 471
iFi,

now that the IEMatch is official, will these attenuators have (any?) differing sonic affects on different types of IEMS?
ie.  dynamic coil IEMS vs. single BA vs. multi BA?

thanks for the details as always.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #423 of 471
  iFi,

now that the IEMatch is official, will these attenuators have (any?) differing sonic affects on different types of IEMS?
ie.  dynamic coil IEMS vs. single BA vs. multi BA?

thanks for the details as always.

Hi,

The effect on the different IEM's (other than the attenuation) should be minimal.

Our Thorsten has said:

"One common recommendation is the 1/4 rule. The nominal HP impedance should be at least 4 times the output impedance. The 12dB Attenuator is around 3R output impedance, so 12 Ohm or higher minimum impedance IEM's should not experience audible issues.

The 24dB attenuator is 1Ohm Z Out, so it is not likely to have any sonic impact.

The 1/4 rule = response variations (absolute worst case) are less than +/-1dB, which is usually classed as inaudible."

Thanks.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 10, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #424 of 471
My IEMatch (2) should arrived in the mail by Friday or Saturday. Fingers crossed!

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #427 of 471
Wow these IEMatch are well built!
My first attenuators of any kind- these are heavy feeling plugs and look amazing.
Sennheiser male plug, a tight silver braid cable to a female Yongsheng adapter.

-12dB one seems best for my UM3X at the moment. With it and nano iDSD comfortable listening value is between 10 to noon or 1pm on the dial.
Before IEMatch I would barely turn dial past 9-10.
Much nicer gradual scaling of volume up and down.
With -24dB I can crank farther on the dial almost to max, but doesn't leave much headroom.

The previous significant volume jump at 9 on the dial is also more subtle now with IEMatch in place.
Don't notice any sonic quality degradation with attenuators initially, need to compare and switch back and forth tho awhile to verify.

Glad iFi stepped up for its customers with these IEMatch, makes nano iDSD more versatile for certain!
So until some magic amp auto senses output, I shall be keeping these gems.

Wonder if I would need / use them on micro iDSD?

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #428 of 471
Wow these IEMatch are well built!
My first attenuators of any kind- these are heavy feeling plugs and look amazing.
Sennheiser male plug, a tight silver braid cable to a female Yongsheng adapter.

-12dB one seems best for my UM3X at the moment. With it and nano iDSD comfortable listening value is between 10 to noon or 1pm on the dial.
Before IEMatch I would barely turn dial past 9-10.
Much nicer gradual scaling of volume up and down.
With -24dB I can crank farther on the dial almost to max, but doesn't leave much headroom.

The previous significant volume jump at 9 on the dial is also more subtle now with IEMatch in place.
Don't notice any sonic quality degradation with attenuators initially, need to compare and switch back and forth tho awhile to verify.

Glad iFi stepped up for its customers with these IEMatch, makes nano iDSD more versatile for certain!
So until some magic amp auto senses output, I shall be keeping these gems.

Wonder if I would need / use them on micro iDSD?

photos?

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #432 of 471
That is a sexy looking stack! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #433 of 471
  Guys and Gals,

Let us know what you think of the iFi Attenuator!

Many thanks.

iFi,

are there any impedance measurements for these (external cable) Attenuators?
should anyone worry about Attenuator affects on multi BA IEMs, so frequency response is not changed?

Cheers.

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #434 of 471

iFi,

are there any impedance measurements for these (external cable) Attenuators?
should anyone worry about Attenuator affects on multi BA IEMs, so frequency response is not changed?

Cheers.

This:

Hi,

Thorsten asked us to let you know that:

"The attenuator output impedance is low (3R for 12dB and < 1R for 24dB), inmost cases any changes will be very small, however some small changes may be expected.

For an IEM that varies from12 Ohm minimum to 64 Ohm maximum (just made up numbers) the resultant frequency response variation would be less than +/- 0.75dB for the 12dB Attenuator and less than +/-0.25dB for the 24dB attenuator.

While not quite "zero", these are ultimately quite low figures."

thanks

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #435 of 471
Is there any way to buy this in Germany? I already owned a iCAN nano which is very great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back