iFi micro iDSD Black-Label - In-Depth Review
Apr 14, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #211 of 1,056
I plan to use Blackberry Q20 as transport for BL.
Are the any advices on the cable usb-otg?
1) which one to get?
2) where?
3) does these type of cables or adapters influences SQ? if no, does it mean that cheap cables on amazon from china etc..are fine to have?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #212 of 1,056
I plan to use Blackberry Q20 as transport for BL.
Are the any advices on the cable usb-otg?
1) which one to get?
2) where?
3) does these type of cables or adapters influences SQ? if no, does it mean that cheap cables on amazon from china etc..are fine to have?

I have the cheapest that fits in iDSD BL, which this time was an old OTg included with the first FiiO X5. since then I also bought something at around 20$ from a no-brand with usb Type-C / 3.0 which works just as well. Cannot say I noticed any kind of issue

Try to get something at least a few more people say it worked, just to know that it doesn't have shorted pins or other issues, but other than that, any working OTG should sound the same, at least in my experience.

iFi places a USB filtering on iDSD BL micro and this might be why it works so well with anything :)

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #213 of 1,056
I have the cheapest that fits in iDSD BL, which this time was an old OTg included with the first FiiO X5. since then I also bought something at around 20$ from a no-brand with usb Type-C / 3.0 which works just as well. Cannot say I noticed any kind of issue

Try to get something at least a few more people say it worked, just to know that it doesn't have shorted pins or other issues, but other than that, any working OTG should sound the same, at least in my experience.

iFi places a USB filtering on iDSD BL micro and this might be why it works so well with anything :)

Hugest thank you to you)) Now the question is - who are using it otg and where to find those people))

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #214 of 1,056
Hugest thank you to you)) Now the question is - who are using it otg and where to find those people))

I am using it with OTG as well, basically

I don't think iDSD BL micro is quite that portable, especially with OTG, since OTG is on the opposite side from the audio port. this means that it would require connectors on both sides, which makes it less pocketable, less camera-bag-able or such

But, I use iDSD BL a lot when listening to muisc or videos while travelling, especially when I'm in a bus. I sit in a bus and I'm using either IE800, RE2000 or some Ultrasone headphones (isolation needed, those all work well for buses where there is a lot of background noise), and iDSD BL Micro is being fed from a Samsung T580 (10" Tabelt) where I watch music videos, anime, or it is being fed from Hiby R6 for listening to music, since R6 is farily convenient to use due to its speed and such:)

I have also used iDSD Micro BL with my smartphone in a similar fashion, but the phone is much wider leading to me not really using the combo as much as other combinations

with FiiO X5ii, I always used iDSD BL Micro as an AMP as I love the amplification stage on it, and the DAC on X5ii was clear enough to make more sense than using OTG / xoax especially because of ergonomics / pocket-ability / camera-bag-ability :)

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #216 of 1,056
Just got home from my walk and noticed the little rubber selector on the IEMatch is missing :frowning2: A bit strange seeing as the unit is only about 2-3 weeks old, and I was using the supplied feet + silicon mat between it, and my Samsung s8+. .. Not to worry though as I never use IEM's, as my daily drivers are the TH-900's, which I have to say pair beautifully with this iFi !!

Flashed to 5.2B firmware as well which seems to run nice, and not drain my phone.. Thanks @iFi audio !!

I really am loving the iDSD BL .. oodles of power, amazing resolution and just performs exceptionally.:L3000:

For the OTG people, does anyone have a reccomended android EQ app I can use with Tidal ? I'm using Neutron for locally stored files, but would love to be able to have a strong EQ app for Tidal.

BTW, a friend is going to 3D print me a Samsung s8+ case with additions to mount the iFi into, so I won't have the straps covering the screen anymore, that should be quite neat, the plan is to run the straps behind the phone with slits in the casing for it somehow .. planning that this weekend :)

Minor note regarding the design .. and it really is an insanely tiny thing, is that when the selector is on 'preamplifier' , its not flush at the top position and appears to be more centered , whereas in 'Direct' mode, the selector is firmly at the bottom, if that makes sense :) A good comparison is the Polarity selector, when + of - are selected, the rubber selector is clearly at the edge of is position. .. excuse my poor explanation!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #217 of 1,056
Just got home from my walk and noticed the little rubber selector on the IEMatch is missing :frowning2: A bit strange seeing as the unit is only about 2-3 weeks old, and I was using the supplied feet + silicon mat between it, and my Samsung s8+. .. Not to worry though as I never use IEM's, as my daily drivers are the TH-900's, which I have to say pair beautifully with this iFi !!

Flashed to 5.2B firmware as well which seems to run nice, and not drain my phone.. Thanks @iFi audio !!

I really am loving the iDSD BL .. oodles of power, amazing resolution and just performs exceptionally.:L3000:

For the OTG people, does anyone have a reccomended android EQ app I can use with Tidal ? I'm using Neutron for locally stored files, but would love to be able to have a strong EQ app for Tidal.

BTW, a friend is going to 3D print me a Samsung s8+ case with additions to mount the iFi into, so I won't have the straps covering the screen anymore, that should be quite neat, the plan is to run the straps behind the phone with slits in the casing for it somehow .. planning that this weekend :)

Minor note regarding the design .. and it really is an insanely tiny thing, is that when the selector is on 'preamplifier' , its not flush at the top position and appears to be more centered , whereas in 'Direct' mode, the selector is firmly at the bottom, if that makes sense :) A good comparison is the Polarity selector, when + of - are selected, the rubber selector is clearly at the edge of is position. .. excuse my poor explanation!

Mines came off too. Seems to be common issue. Actually my preamp / direct knob fell off too. In a sense It's good that way because I set mines on ultra sensitivity (with my TH900s too) so you can expect me to jump and shout when it accidentally moves up and the volume is too much to bear.

Apr 20, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #218 of 1,056
Mines came off too. Seems to be common issue. Actually my preamp / direct knob fell off too. In a sense It's good that way because I set mines on ultra sensitivity (with my TH900s too) so you can expect me to jump and shout when it accidentally moves up and the volume is too much to bear.

Wow, mines on IEMatch : Off, and Power mode : Turbo for my TH900's ... What can I say im a power whore :beyersmile:

But you're right, it kind of is a good thing as its less likely to change settings on us now :)

Apr 21, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #219 of 1,056
Does anyone know how I would connect Phone or MacBook => Hugo (dac) => BL (amp)?

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #220 of 1,056
Does anyone know how I would connect Phone or MacBook => Hugo (dac) => BL (amp)?

Analog in is on the front of the BL between the two switches. I'm not familiar with the Hugo, but it should at least have RCA outs. So, you'll likely need a RCA to 3.5mm adapter. That's about all there is to it .

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #221 of 1,056
Analog in is on the front of the BL between the two switches. I'm not familiar with the Hugo, but it should at least have RCA outs. So, you'll likely need a RCA to 3.5mm adapter. That's about all there is to it .
Thanks! I'm going to give this a try later tonight or some time this week during my work trip.

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #222 of 1,056

Thank you for your feedback. If you've lost that rubber selector, feel free to let us know here: www.support.ifi-audio.com

We'll try to help you out.

Correct!

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #223 of 1,056
I've read that the battery can be bypassed by first plugging the device into a computer and then turning it on, preserving its cycles when used as a desktop dac/amp. Does the battery still get charged constantly though and doesn't that ruin it over time?

Also, how different is the sound in comparison to the Nano BL? I'm trying the Nano for the second time and still find it underwhelming. I'm told that my Hifiman Edition X v2 headphones are being held back by the DAC/amp and am looking for both a desktop and portable solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back