iFi iPurifier 2 - Reviews, Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 5, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #406 of 592
Would there be any point in using the iFi Micro iUSB 2.0 Power Supply + the iPurifier 2 or would I be good with just the iPurifier 2? I'm unclear on what the difference is and how using both vs just the iPurifier 2 would affect my sound.

The iPurifier2 will, amongst other things, reduce the noise in the power lines. The end result will depend on how noisy the power lines from your computer are in the first place.

If you add an iUSBPower then you have a super quiet power supply already. Plug the iPurifier2 into the iUSBPower and it will still rebalance, reclock and regenerate the USB signal.

The icing on the cake is to then use a very good USB cable from iUSBPower to your DAC so as not to screw the USB signal up again. This is where the Gemini comes in.

An alternative is to get iSilencer3.0, iDefender3.0 and an iPower 5V but by the time you've bought all those you've spent almost as much as an iUSBPower anyway.

If you don't already own an iPurifier2 then the nano iUSB3.0 is a better choice for the money as it embodies all that iPurifier2 does plus a super quiet power supply.

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #407 of 592
The iPurifier2 will, amongst other things, reduce the noise in the power lines. The end result will depend on how noisy the power lines from your computer are in the first place.

If you add an iUSBPower then you have a super quiet power supply already. Plug the iPurifier2 into the iUSBPower and it will still rebalance, reclock and regenerate the USB signal.

The icing on the cake is to then use a very good USB cable from iUSBPower to your DAC so as not to screw the USB signal up again. This is where the Gemini comes in.

An alternative is to get iSilencer3.0, iDefender3.0 and an iPower 5V but by the time you've bought all those you've spent almost as much as an iUSBPower anyway.

If you don't already own an iPurifier2 then the nano iUSB3.0 is a better choice for the money as it embodies all that iPurifier2 does plus a super quiet power supply.

Thank you for the explanation! I may just go with a iPurifier2 at this point. I don't think I have a noisy power supply. I am more interested in just the rebalance/reclock/etc. factors. I can get it for $99 vs $400 for the iUSB3.0. I can also get the iUSBPower 2.0 in a combo for $189 with iPurifier2. I'm still debating. I really appreciate you letting me know of the differences though so my decision is more well informed.

Nov 5, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #410 of 592
  Would there be any point in using the iFi Micro iUSB 2.0 Power Supply + the iPurifier 2 or would I be good with just the iPurifier 2? I'm unclear on what the difference is and how using both vs just the iPurifier 2 would affect my sound.

It depends...

I listen to acoustic (Jazz and Classical).

I found that my Explorer2 DAC improved noticeably when I added the iUSB power.  I use the galvanic isolator function.

However, my USB from the iMac is quite clean, so the additional signal cleanup from inserting the the iPurifier2 before the iUSB was limited ...  to a bit of extra sharpness around the instruments, and clear separation.

Your incremental SQ changes will depend on how good your source is.

My latest improvement is to add a second tube amp dedicated to driving my tweeters.  Bi-amping gave me the most improvement so far this year.

Nov 12, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #411 of 592
Hello,

got a question, is there a recommended Burn in time for the purifier 2?

Nov 13, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #412 of 592
"Burn in time for the purifier 2?"

I did not experience any change as the iPurifier was "burning in".

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #413 of 592
I think the HRT microStreamer and iPurifer 2 is pretty close to the presentation of MOJO ignoring amping power. Pretty sweet !

Exactly what I was looking for, something truly mobile, then WRT the amp section, got my iBasso PB2 balanced-out with 16-volt LPS external power and I can dial that very last bit of the presentation with amp chips and buffers.

All-in, probably same cost as MOJO (DAC/amp/iP2) but I like the modular nature of the DAC and iPurifier for IEMs only... and then amp added on for at home/transportable use with planars. As great as MOJO is for its sweetspot, I love the mixing/matching of modular audio chain equipment.

After using MOJO a few months, and then going back to my old fav. the microStreamer... I could hear its various short-comings and everything I had issues with - imaging/depth/layering/less black background/treble slight roughness...the iP2 cleared it all up.

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #414 of 592
So after some skepsis about the Purifier 2 i'm beginning to catch the differences it has.
I think i'm gonna keep it, the sound is more clear and i like it.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #415 of 592
  So after some skepsis about the Purifier 2 i'm beginning to catch the differences it has.
I think i'm gonna keep it, the sound is more clear and i like it.

Yep, clarity/focus/tighter timing/blacker background was my immediate impression vs brain burn-in without it with my audio chain.The MOJO already had all these things vs my microStreamer.

I knew if it came out of the trickle down tech from 'Mr best CD player in the world" Loesch, it would not be a 'magic pixie dust hype' dongle. Who would risk their rep on releasing something like that ?

The previous Audioquest Jitterbug 2 dongle I had did not cut it for me in the treble region...made it brighter and brittle I'm afraid.

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #416 of 592
Am curious to know ---- does this come with 4 different USB types? The box states it does and their website shows 4 different ones too. But it doesn't state if they're all included or if you have to buy each one separately. Amazon is selling 2 different types as well.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #417 of 592
  Am curious to know ---- does this come with 4 different USB types? The box states it does and their website shows 4 different ones too. But it doesn't state if they're all included or if you have to buy each one separately. Amazon is selling 2 different types as well.

Each one separately.

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #418 of 592
You can also buy USB adapters cheaply from ebay/aliexpress to add-on before the DAC if needed.

I went for the printer style male output plug as I'll be buying a MIMBY or Caiman SEG DAC in future which both take that style input.

I needed the USB-B printer female to male mini-USB adapter to connect to my current HRT microStreamer DAC.

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #419 of 592
I am curious to know if anyone has ever used this with any of the LH Labs products --- did it make a difference or not?

Edit: doesn't matter, I guess. I bought the iFi iPurifier 2 for $75. Should have it next week. We'll see if it does anything. The chain will be: PC > IP2 > Geek Out 2A > phones

Nov 19, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #420 of 592

Yep, clarity/focus/tighter timing/blacker background was my immediate impression

Yes, i observed the same. also with good recordings (Charles Mingus for example) i hear the space/ambiente between the instruments better and the music seems more liquid, agile.
It's not night and day obviously but it works pretty nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back