iFi iESL energizer
May 30, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 32
I believe they were demoed at Canjam Socal 2017. So perhaps someone can comment, who was there. I have heard that it's coming out in June sometime. I too would really like to hear comments from folks that might have heard it.

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 32
iESL now up on iFi's website including manual and extensive tech notes. Hope to have mine next week!

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 32
Cool. Share your impressions, when you have had a chance to use it for a while. Will you be using it with their headphone amp (pro iCAN) or a 3rd party amp? BTW: Where did you purchase it from and how much was it? Thanks.

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 32
Yes, will be using it with Pro iCAN and Stax SR-L500. MSRP is $1399. Purchased from Tim at Kitsune HiFi. Look him up!

Jun 14, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 32
Mine shipped today so should have it on Friday.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 32
Yes, looking forward to reviews! I'm waiting for the MrSpeakers to come out, which is not 'til Sep. Hopefully by then the iDSD will be out too and Adorama will have a deal.

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 32
Does anyone know whether or not it actually needs/uses the power from an external amplifier? Or is it simply pulling the voltage changes?

For example, could I take the standard balanced outputs from a DAC and connect them (with appropriate adapter) to the balanced input? I'd much rather not have the balanced cable going from the output on the front of my normal HPA to the back. Or even just use my Emotiva DC-1, which has normal balanced outputs, but not a balanced headphone amp out.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #12 of 32
Does anyone know whether or not it actually needs/uses the power from an external amplifier? Or is it simply pulling the voltage changes?

For example, could I take the standard balanced outputs from a DAC and connect them (with appropriate adapter) to the balanced input? I'd much rather not have the balanced cable going from the output on the front of my normal HPA to the back. Or even just use my Emotiva DC-1, which has normal balanced outputs, but not a balanced headphone amp out.
No - it needs an external amp. Either the Pro iCAN (via dedicated link), a speaker amp (via speaker inputs), or a very powerful (at least 7V output) HP amp (via 4 pin XLR).

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #13 of 32
This could be an affordable alternative for those who also have speakers they want to drive: Crown XLS1502, which I see for $250 used to $345 new.

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 32
I am wiring up an Emotiva BasX A-100 to the iESL today. I want to see if it is better driving the HE-6 and Stax via the speaker inputs on the iESL vs the iCAN. The A-100 is about $225 on Amazon. It is 50 wpc so about the ideal amount of power for driving inefficient headphones via speaker link.

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 32
I am wiring up an Emotiva BasX A-100 to the iESL today. I want to see if it is better driving the HE-6 and Stax via the speaker inputs on the iESL vs the iCAN. The A-100 is about $225 on Amazon. It is 50 wpc so about the ideal amount of power for driving inefficient headphones via speaker link.

Very interested in your opinions on the IESL and ICAN Pro synergy with the He-6! Can't wait to hear them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back