iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 17, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #8,371 of 9,047
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 21, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #8,372 of 9,047
Just picked up one of these (for desktop use actually) and really enjoying it so far. Quick question: I leave my headphones plugged in, and is it normal for there to be 1-2 popping noises right upon turning on the amplifier? It's probably me being paranoid but I'm a tiny bit afraid it's some kind of current (DC?) that isn't good for headphones - my Violectric seems to have a relay while powering on that seems to prevent this phenomenon.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #8,373 of 9,047
Just picked up one of these (for desktop use actually) and really enjoying it so far. Quick question: I leave my headphones plugged in, and is it normal for their to be 1-2 popping noises when turning on the amplifier? It's probably me being paranoid but I'm a tiny bit afraid it's some kind of current (DC?) that isn't good for headphones - my Violectric seems to have a relay while powering on that prevents such noises.

I was wondering the same thing. I figured it was normal since I got mine 2 months old in mint condition but wasn’t sure. This kind of reassures me.

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #8,374 of 9,047
Just picked up one of these (for desktop use actually) and really enjoying it so far. Quick question: I leave my headphones plugged in, and is it normal for there to be 1-2 popping noises right upon turning on the amplifier? It's probably me being paranoid but I'm a tiny bit afraid it's some kind of current (DC?) that isn't good for headphones - my Violectric seems to have a relay while powering on that seems to prevent this phenomenon.

Doesn't the relay make the popping sounds?

By turning it on, you mean turning the volume wheel on?

I think it is best to turn it slowly, wait for the volume to kick in, then turn it to listening volume

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #8,375 of 9,047
Doesn't the relay make the popping sounds?

By turning it on, you mean turning the volume wheel on?

I think it is best to turn it slowly, wait for the volume to kick in, then turn it to listening volume

The relay itself of course makes a noise but I meant to say that headphones are silent when it switches. The popping from the ifi is independent of where the volume knob is (i.e. it's the same sound level regardless of where volume is set when it happens).

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #8,376 of 9,047
I think you can also turn on the amp, leave it at 0 volume (turn it on and try to turn the knob down as much as possible without turning it off?) then plug the headphones in. I’ve heard the pop on other amp/DAC. Guess it comes from the DAC turning on after the amp is on.

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #8,377 of 9,047
Just hooked up powered speakers + powered sub to the pre-amp of the black label and I'm blown away by how much control I have over the volume level as well as the xbass feature. Turning it on sends kick drums through my chest, without distorting the sound! The black label is seriously my best investment in this hobby.
Yeah same here ! really incredible ! It's a different ball game, if not even a different kind of sport .... ( hooked them up on 2 Nubert nupro-A200 )

Apr 28, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #8,378 of 9,047
Anyone know how to resolve this issue? My Micro has a distant and echoey sound caused by the in-line remote on my Klipsch X20i; when I press the pause/play button, the IEM sounds as it should.

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #8,379 of 9,047
Anyone know how to resolve this issue? My Micro has a distant and echoey sound caused by the in-line remote on my Klipsch X20i; when I press the pause/play button, the IEM sounds as it should.

Never heard of this issue, can you use another cable with it?

Given what you said here, my first guess would be that the remote somehow connects to the ground for one of the connectors and this is causing some kind of interference

Apr 29, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #8,380 of 9,047
Issue is caused by the fact that the iems use a 4 pin minijack plug. Try switching the 6.3mm adapter to a different one (that has a bigger ground contact inside)

May 3, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #8,382 of 9,047
Does anyone have suggestions as to how to I can hook up my ifi micro stack - idsd black
, itube2, ican se - to both my headphones and active speakers permanently?

I currently plug in my speakers to the headphone jack of the idsd black, while the preamp outs from the idsd black goes to my itube2 and then to the ican se. My headphones go into the ican se headphone jack.

It is not my intention for the music to play through both my speakers and headphones at the same time. I just want a solution that does not involve plugging the wires in and out all the time.

Any ideas?

May 3, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #8,383 of 9,047
Does anyone have suggestions as to how to I can hook up my ifi micro stack - idsd black
, itube2, ican se - to both my headphones and active speakers permanently?

I currently plug in my speakers to the headphone jack of the idsd black, while the preamp outs from the idsd black goes to my itube2 and then to the ican se. My headphones go into the ican se headphone jack.

It is not my intention for the music to play through both my speakers and headphones at the same time. I just want a solution that does not involve plugging the wires in and out all the time.

Any ideas?
The iCAN SE has two inputs on the rear - RCA and 3.5mm. These are wired together so you can use the RCAs as input from the iTUBE2 and use the 3.5mm as output to the amp. When you want speakers only, just switch off the iCAN SE or turn the volume down.

May 3, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #8,384 of 9,047
The iCAN SE has two inputs on the rear - RCA and 3.5mm. These are wired together so you can use the RCAs as input from the iTUBE2 and use the 3.5mm as output to the amp. When you want speakers only, just switch off the iCAN SE or turn the volume down.

Thanks technobear. But i don't really understand a couple of things.

The iCAN SE has 2 inputs - that's correct. What do you mean when you say they are wired together?
Does the 3.5mm input also double up as an output which I can connect to my speakers?

May 4, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #8,385 of 9,047
Thanks technobear. But i don't really understand a couple of things.

The iCAN SE has 2 inputs - that's correct. What do you mean when you say they are wired together?
Does the 3.5mm input also double up as an output which I can connect to my speakers?
When I say wired together, I mean wired together.

They are the same input. There is only one input. How else can I put it?

It is exactly the same as using an RCA splitter cable, only neater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back