iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Sep 3, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #6,766 of 9,047
  Can anyone recommend a good carrying case for the iDSD Micro please?
I'd be interested in something that could carry both the Micro itself and several cables.
Thank you. 

If you're still looking for a carrying case, check out the Waterford Gear Pouch. Mine is size large and fits the micro iDSD well-- with enough room left over for a normal-sized DAP. It also has separate pockets for cables and connectors, plus there is a padded version in case you are rough on your gear.

https://www.sfbags.com/products/gear-pouch

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #6,767 of 9,047
Got a strange problem and before I open a trouble ticket with ifi, wanted to see if any gurus here could assist.  Just updated the firmware and driver of my micro iDSD to 5.2 and 2.26 respectively on my XP machine, now I can no longer open any ifi control panels to change modes and buffer size or that show the firmware version.  I gives me the errors pictured below.  I have tried multiple times to roll back and reload the driver however, the issue still remains.  I'm assuming these control panels reside within the driver and not the device's firmware.

I can still play all my PCM and DSD music and movie files via Foobar and VLC though the micro iDSD.  Any idea how I can resolve this issue without having to restore my computer to before this driver install?  I also have another computer that still has the old driver 2.20 and the control panel opens on it.  Any idea what DLL is missing, where I can find it, and if I might be able to copy it from my other computer?

(Disregard... I guess driver version 2.26 is incompatible with Windows XP, loaded 2.23 and everything is A okay now)
L3000.gif

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #6,768 of 9,047
  If I'm not wrong, you can't do that on Windows Media Player. It don't have any output settings. You could try Foobar. You assign Windows sound to another(or on-board) device and choose iDSD on Foobar from its output settings.

Solved: MS and WinX are full of surprises. Apparently in WMP you can also assign an audio device other than the default one. You can do it in settings - devices, if any of you is interested. Nick Cave is no longer being interrupted in the middle of the song with  a "ding!"  :) We both are much happier  
beerchug.gif

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #6,769 of 9,047

If you're still looking for a carrying case, check out the Waterford Gear Pouch. Mine is size large and fits the micro iDSD well-- with enough room left over for a normal-sized DAP. It also has separate pockets for cables and connectors, plus there is a padded version in case you are rough on your gear.

https://www.sfbags.com/products/gear-pouch

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I bought a Khanka case off Amazon for $12 a month or two ago and have been pleased with it. It is a hard fabric case. The micro iDSD fits nicely in one half, secured by an elastic strap, and there is room for cables and connectors in the other half. In case anyone is interested, here is the product link: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CY5SQ22/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But that Waterford Gear Pouch looks interesting and may have a little more room. I'll probably pick up one of those as well. Thank you. 

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #6,770 of 9,047
  Anyone play SACD through this? I have a DX80 going to this and it plays through my DX80 but not through the Micro. I was thinking that the Coax was the culprit, any thoughts

Using JRMC on Windows I can send DSD512 via ASIO Native DSD, I doubt this works on the DX80. I have a DX80 connected via S/PDIF to my iFi when I travel and noticed the passthrough fails.

Most of the files I have on the DX80 are DSD64 so I don't think there is even a DoP output on the DX80.

I've honestly been looking at the Fiio X7. I honestly hate the usability on the DX80 (lack of playlist support, add to playing now, etc.)

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #6,771 of 9,047

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I bought a Khanka case off Amazon for $12 a month or two ago and have been pleased with it. It is a hard fabric case. The micro iDSD fits nicely in one half, secured by an elastic strap, and there is room for cables and connectors in the other half. In case anyone is interested, here is the product link: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CY5SQ22/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But that Waterford Gear Pouch looks interesting and may have a little more room. I'll probably pick up one of those as well. Thank you. 

That's great case for idsd.
Thx

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #6,772 of 9,047
Was this mod ever done, and if so, what are your impressions?

GLR
I
Ii is in process! Igor had some family concerns to take care of...but I should have it back within the next couple of weeks. My understanding is that he modifies power supply. Increases emi and rf rejection and improves the output stages. Mine will have furutech occ copper rhodium rca outputs on silver gold neotech occ wire flying leads...not sure as to the rest will see!

Happy listening
jgwtriode

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #6,773 of 9,047

Can you post a picture with the iDSD in the case?

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #6,774 of 9,047
Hello everyone.
Just recently acquired a Micro iDSD unit and have questions regarding unit charging/using.

As I plan to use it as my office "rig" using an HTC phone as source via USB OTG, can I actually charge and use the device at the same time?

If I use something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXAC1ZW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IJ1IQ70/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A25241C6EWMUO7

Am I "covered"?

Thanks.

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #6,775 of 9,047
No you can't. Once you turn it on the charging is off. I actually think it's a good thing since charging and using something at the same time will decrease the battery lifespan faster than doing those separately

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #6,776 of 9,047
No you can't. Once you turn it on the charging is off. I actually think it's a good thing since charging and using something at the same time will decrease the battery lifespan faster than doing those separately

Actually if you plug the charger in before you turn it on (and see the blue light) If I'm not wrong it WILL keep on charging after you turn it on too.

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #6,778 of 9,047
14. SmartPower®
The USB type “A” port located to the side is able to recharge a Smart device.
SmartPower® will automatically detect an iPhone/Android or similar and commence charging.
However, the micro iDSD must be switched OFF as it cannot charge and playback music simultaneously.

Quote from iFi Micro iDSD's manual found here.

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #6,779 of 9,047
14. SmartPower®
The USB type “A” port located to the side is able to recharge a Smart device.
SmartPower® will automatically detect an iPhone/Android or similar and commence charging.
However, the micro iDSD must be switched OFF as it cannot charge and playback music simultaneously.

Quote from iFi Micro iDSD's manual found here.

That's not what he's talking about.

If the iDSD is used in Eco mode, it will happily run from USB power and keep the battery topped off.

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #6,780 of 9,047
I thing that if the Micro see's the phone while they are both connected to the hub may be it will work!

How will you connect the phone via OTG to the iDSD and at the same time connect it to the hub?

Does the phone have more than one USB port?

The OTG cable you showed won't do it. The cable from the hub would only power the iDSD, not the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back