iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Aug 1, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #6,662 of 9,047
  The Micro drives my LCD2F very well, I like the pairing quite a bit actually. I don't know anything about the output from the iPhone to the Micro as I'm not an Apple phone user myself.

Yup that would be your best bet. Rca to a 3.5 jack to the micro's 3.5 in.

I also love my lcd2.2 with the micro. As a matter of fact I like the micro with every HP and iem I have
wink.gif
, beside my e18 which I use for a portable.

The iPhone is a great source. Doesn't have a problem playing any music app that is compatible with ios and it doesn't upsample anything. All you need is a cck adapter and your good to go.

Thank you Guys !!

Just one more question !

Will I be able to charge the unit while listening through the 3,5mm input ? And, going ths route ( RCA to 3.5mm ), will I be losing something in quality ?!

Oh, and by cck do you mean the lightning yo usb adapter like these one ? http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #6,663 of 9,047

Thank you Guys !!

Just one more question !

Will I be able to charge the unit while listening through the 3,5mm input ? And, going ths route ( RCA to 3.5mm ), will I be losing something in quality ?!

Oh, and by cck do you mean the lightning yo usb adapter like these one ? http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

You would be losing some quality.  You won't being using the DAC part on the micro if you go through the 3.5 input.

Yes that is the CCK adapter.  

I never use the 3.5 input, but I would think you won't have a problem charging while using it.  Might have to go with a 2 amp or higher wall charging and you should be good.

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #6,664 of 9,047
  Hey Guys...

What are the best ways to hook the micro iDSD to my integrated amplifier ( PM6004 ) and use it like a desktop amp ?! I firstly thought of rca tape out to 3.5mm in on the iDSD.

I am planning to use them to drive a LCD-2 while listening to some vinyls. Would it be a good match ? 

I know it is not a desktop amp, but It would be good to have the option to take it from the desk and take with me on a trip with my iPhone.

Thanks,
Ruddy

I have the LCD-2.1 and they sound really great with the Micro iDSD.  I spent about 2 hours listening to that pair this past Saturday.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #6,665 of 9,047

Hey I realize this post is from a year ago but I currently own an iFi Micro, and I was wondering, how did it pair with your Beyerdynamic DT 880's? Which it looks like you no longer have haha

I thought it was little too bright and fatiguing as a combination...YMMV.

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #6,666 of 9,047
Another 2 hours w micro dsd and audeze lcd2.1 tonight. Really great combo. ATB movin melodies is especially enjoyable.

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #6,667 of 9,047
Interesting experience with the iDSD,

My original configuration was USB out of my Apple Thunderbolt display with an Audioquest Carbon USB cable to a Schiit Wyrd to the blue USB cable that came with the IDSD. All my prior comments and impressions were based on that.

I did not realize that iDSD has iPurifer built in so yesterday I connected directly from Mac to iDSD with just the blue cable. I just wanted to reduce the clutter on my desk. The resulting sound was harsh treble and a bit compressed mid. The glaring treble was very noticeable (maybe +10% more harsh). After a process of elimination with my original configuration, it was clear that the blue USB cable by itself caused the issue.

I now have my Audioquest Carbon USB cable direct from Mac to one of the adapters that came with iDSD. This resolved the harsh treble. In my original chain, the Wyrd seems to have buffered whatever issue the blue cable caused. I am actually really surprised by how much difference the USB cable made. Prior to this I thought I overpaid for the Carbon USB cable since I thought "bits are bits". I am convinced now that even digital cables matter. On the other hand, I can't detect any difference is sound with or without the Wyrd.

Something for folks to consider but YMMV since the source of the "issue" may be my Mac USB port.

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #6,668 of 9,047

My original configuration was USB out of my Apple Thunderbolt display with an Audioquest Carbon USB cable to a Schiit Wyrd to the blue USB cable that came with the IDSD. All my prior comments and impressions were based on that.

I did not realize that iDSD has iPurifer built in so yesterday I connected directly from Mac to iDSD with just the blue cable. I just wanted to reduce the clutter on my desk. The resulting sound was harsh treble and a bit compressed mid. The glaring treble was very noticeable (maybe +10% more harsh). After a process of elimination with my original configuration, it was clear that the blue USB cable by itself caused the issue.

I now have my Audioquest Carbon USB cable direct from Mac to one of the adapters that came with iDSD. This resolved the harsh treble. In my original chain, the Wyrd seems to have buffered whatever issue the blue cable caused. I am actually really surprised by how much difference the USB cable made. Prior to this I thought I overpaid for the Carbon USB cable since I thought "bits are bits". I am convinced now that even digital cables matter. On the other hand, I can't detect any difference is sound with or without the Wyrd.

Something for folks to consider but YMMV since the source of the "issue" may be my Mac USB port.

Everyone thinks "bits are bits", and they are pretty right about it. But the thing is 5V DC, EMI and RFI, interferes with the data side that carries bits. Even dividing 5V+/Ground and Data+/- to two separate USB cable changes everything. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #6,670 of 9,047
  Just to clarify things, is the built-in iPurifier from iDSD working only via battery mode ? or USB mode ? or both world ?
Cheers'

iPurifier is a EMI thingy. It should be working in both ways because its main job is with the data section(EMI removing) or it would be very pointless. Both ways. 100%. 
atsmile.gif

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #6,671 of 9,047

What are the odds that a cable makes a difference when a device such as the Wyrd doesn't? I suspect you already know this, but even the time of day we listen to music has a significant effect on our perception so if you are listening at different times, or when you are tired versus alert that might explain a 10% perceived difference you are attributing to cables. Just an alternative explanation to consider.

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #6,672 of 9,047
  What are the odds that a cable makes a difference when a device such as the Wyrd doesn't? I suspect you already know this, but even the time of day we listen to music has a significant effect on our perception so if you are listening at different times, or when you are tired versus alert that might explain a 10% perceived difference you are attributing to cables. Just an alternative explanation to consider.

yes, I considered that and swapped back and forth to confirm. The idea to swap cables came up in the middle of listening to Porcupine Tree so I paused and made the change, then resumed. That is when I was immediately hit with the harsh treble.

I see my original post was ambiguous so let me clarify:

(1) Mac -> Carbon cable -> Wyrd -> Blue cable -> iDSD = good sound
(2) Mac -> Blue Cable -> iDSD = harsh treble
(3) Mac -> Carbon cable-> iDSD = good sound and indistinguishable from (1)

Conclusion - no need for me to complicate my chain in configuration (1). I suppose I could substitute a cheap USB cable in (1) and try that out, but unfortunately I don't have a USB B cable other than the Carbon. However, I think we can assume Wyrd would be fine without the Carbon cable.

This comparison was all done in the space of 30 min or so. Not really A/B blind comparison but to confirm, I have a set of 5 tracks that I use for evaluating all audio components so know the tracks extremely well. My bias before all this is that the cables would not make any difference given the fact that iDSD has a built in iPurifier so I think that qualifies for "blind". In fact I really wished the blue cable made no difference because I was hoping to sell my Carbon cable due to my "bits are bits" comment.

It's certainly subjective and curious what others have experienced.

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #6,673 of 9,047
I think the ipurifier 2 does everything the wyrd does and more. Can't bring myself to buy an expensive cable yet. So far I'm sticking with the Dell usb cable that comes with their monitors

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #6,674 of 9,047
LOL, forgot the ask the one question I had in mind before I got sidetracked with the Wyrd/cable experiment:

Does anyone have a suggested OTG cable that will fit inside the iDSD USB port and ends in a micro USB connector? I'm curious to try my Onkyo DP-X1 with the iDSD.

Thanks

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #6,675 of 9,047
I think the ipurifier 2 does everything the wyrd does and more. Can't bring myself to buy an expensive cable yet. So far I'm sticking with the Dell usb cable that comes with their monitors

Same here. I just took a printer USB cable and hooked it to my M51 DAC and never gave it a second thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back