iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jul 30, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #6,632 of 9,047
I recentely started to use the micro on battery mode instead of usb powering.

If I shut down my computer and plug it off so there is no power going through the usb of the motherboard...and activate the micro it will go in to battery power mode. If I play music from my computer and for some reason I have to reboot..will the micro run on usb power mode? or it will continew to run on battery?

Cheers.

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #6,634 of 9,047
I have read that the idea that the TubeState sounds tube like is just marketing BS. I am curious if anybody here can confirm that the iCAN SE actually does have a little of the tube like sound or is it so subtle that you could also explain it by expectation?

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #6,635 of 9,047
  I have read that the idea that the TubeState sounds tube like is just marketing BS. I am curious if anybody here can confirm that the iCAN SE actually does have a little of the tube like sound or is it so subtle that you could also explain it by expectation?

Here's what iFi replied to me in post# 5524 of this thread:

We find that with the Tubestate build into iCAN SE, it delivers a very large chunk of 'Tube Magic' in itself and even our tube loving chief designer (who has a Nixie clock on his Android Phone - with tubes for numbers) does not use a iTube with the iCAN SE. He does use the iTube in his Speaker setup, which is more what the iTube was designed for (3D Matrix for speakers, optional preamp function). Some of the senior staff still hold onto the iTube with the iCAN SE. Neither are right nor wrong.

So try the different combinations and decide for yourself.

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #6,636 of 9,047

Here's what iFi replied to me in post# 5524 of this thread:

We find that with the Tubestate build into iCAN SE, it delivers a very large chunk of 'Tube Magic' in itself and even our tube loving chief designer (who has a Nixie clock on his Android Phone - with tubes for numbers) does not use a iTube with the iCAN SE. He does use the iTube in his Speaker setup, which is more what the iTube was designed for (3D Matrix for speakers, optional preamp function). Some of the senior staff still hold onto the iTube with the iCAN SE. Neither are right nor wrong.

So try the different combinations and decide for yourself.

Thanks, I had just read a review from a head-fier I know is pretty experienced who felt that iFi calling the TubeState as sounding tube like was complete rubbish, just marketing BS, which is of course completely possible.

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #6,637 of 9,047
just listening to tidal hifi on both the micro and the mojo.
(want to sell one as i also have the df red and mad ear+hd tube amp)

guess i don't have golden ears, as i can't really (not now anyway) determine that big a diff between the 2.
have the mercury and ipurifer 2 hooked into it from my laptop.
must admit, love the 3D and bass boost of the micro...nice ways to enhance the sound.

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #6,638 of 9,047
  just listening to tidal hifi on both the micro and the mojo.
(want to sell one as i also have the df red and mad ear+hd tube amp)

guess i don't have golden ears, as i can't really (not now anyway) determine that big a diff between the 2.
have the mercury and ipurifer 2 hooked into it from my laptop.
must admit, love the 3D and bass boost of the micro...nice ways to enhance the sound.

Excellent! Trust your ears. Mojo will sell fast and close to what you paid for it. I don't miss mine at all. To my ears, Mojo has a bit more separation and bite to the highs but that's not something everybody wants. I tend to like more organic, and not analytical presentation and the iDSD to me is more organic than Mojo. Beyond that, I absolutely hated the stupid glowing balls and digital stepped volume control.

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #6,639 of 9,047
That all depends on you. You're gonna have to buy one and find out. I think this and the Mojo are the Best AMP/DACs (portable) that there are right now IMO. I have a slight preference for this over the Mojo though.

Interestingly enough, I auditioned the Chord DAVE against my iDSD micro, using the exact same gear in my sig. What's not in my sig, is that I always plug into the classic PS Audio, P300 balanced AC regenerator.

Anyway, for PCM I thought the DAVE and the iDSD micro were the same. The salesman had to admit it, too. Except with the iDSD micro I had to use my SPL Auditor to grab that much width and depth from the iFi product. With the DAVE all I had to do was plug in direct to its headphone jack.

For DSD audio I won't go into that here; I'm going to post my impressions in the Chord DAVE thread. Nevertheless, we're talking about for PCM a $1200 DAC & amp combo vs. an all-in-one solution for $13k+.

The iDSD micro still remains a minor miracle.

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #6,640 of 9,047
Interestingly enough, I auditioned the Chord DAVE against my iDSD micro, using the exact same gear in my sig. What's not in my sig, is that I always plug into the classic PS Audio, P300 balanced AC regenerator.

Anyway, for PCM I thought the DAVE and the iDSD micro were the same. The salesman had to admit it, too. Except with the iDSD micro I had to use my SPL Auditor to grab that much width and depth from the iFi product. With the DAVE all I had to do was plug in direct to its headphone jack.

For DSD audio I won't go into that here; I'm going to post my impressions in the Chord DAVE thread. Nevertheless, we're talking about for PCM a $1200 DAC & amp combo vs. an all-in-one solution for $13k+.

The iDSD micro still remains a minor miracle.

Any experience using a separate amp with the iDSD?  Edit:  I see that SPL Auditor is an amp.  

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #6,641 of 9,047
Jul 30, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #6,642 of 9,047
Excellent! Trust your ears. Mojo will sell fast and close to what you paid for it. I don't miss mine at all. To my ears, Mojo has a bit more separation and bite to the highs but that's not something everybody wants. I tend to like more organic, and not analytical presentation and the iDSD to me is more organic than Mojo. Beyond that, I absolutely hated the stupid glowing balls and digital stepped volume control.

Funny how audio is so often subjective, as I've read the same sound sig criticism (analytic, a bit dry)... But it was levelled at the micro vs the 'warmer sounding' mojo...they're both top end units, more similar than not, imo... I don't have golden ears, however.

I guess the bottom line is whatever device best makes you smile and floats your boat is all that matters in the end...to this point I was also listening to some Van Halen with the (cheaper priced) dragonfly red, iPod Touch 6 and (newly arrived) flc 8s earphones... and that combo just kicked ass!

More and more I'm starting to appreciate how important is the musical Source quality-- garbage in garbage out right. You can have the best headphones, the best DAC/amp, whatever...but if music played is a bad recording, not so well mastered, etc, then what does it matter? you can't put lipstick on a pig (thanks Steve Hoffman forums).

Jul 30, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #6,643 of 9,047
Its amazing to me how the IDSD micro scales.  I have put in much better diy usb cables, a reclocker, and a PCI-E dedicated USB port from Paul Pang!  It improved substantially each time.
And it works incredibly well on DSD files.  I have bought some of the Blue Coast stuff.  Listing to their 11.2MHz stuff is unbelievable.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Jul 30, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #6,644 of 9,047
Funny how audio is so often subjective, as I've read the same sound sig criticism (analytic, a bit dry)... But it was levelled at the micro vs the 'warmer sounding' mojo...they're both top end units, more similar than not, imo... I don't have golden ears, however.

I agree on subjectivity. However, there is a limit to that and I would be interested to know what universe people are thinking that the iDSD is analytical and dry. Mojo being "warm" is way overblown imho. Rob Watts himself will say that all Chord products are meant to be perfectly neutral to what the original soundtrack is suppose to sound like.

I should note my impression is after 200+ hours of burn in.

Jul 31, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #6,645 of 9,047
  Its amazing to me how the IDSD micro scales.  I have put in much better diy usb cables, a reclocker, and a PCI-E dedicated USB port from Paul Pang!  It improved substantially each time.
And it works incredibly well on DSD files.  I have bought some of the Blue Coast stuff.  Listing to their 11.2MHz stuff is unbelievable.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Here's how it went for me:
- Triggered
- Googles "Paul Pang"
- Enters the website
- Looks at the price
- Cries internally
- Goes back to write this schiit post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back