iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Dec 14, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #1,921 of 9,047
If he max out the volume of the micro iDSD, would that still be considered double amping? In the nano iDSD, maxing out its volume would make it exactly like a DAC.

Yeah. The iDSD has a design where best SNR (and other measurable stuff/least distortion/best channel balance) is at 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock. This is only through the headphone out. The preamp achieves channel balance at a really early point of the travel.

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #1,922 of 9,047
The iDSD has been compared to DACs considerably better than the Modi (e.g. Concero HD, kilo-buck DACs). One user prefers the iDSD's amp section over the Asgard 2. post #853 Maybe you should wait for the Modi 2 and Magni 2 which seem promising. It's still possible that the iFi would be much better unless the new M&M are giant killers.

Thanks for the reference. I am indeed referring to the modi2 uber and magni2 uber. Too bad I can't demo them before making the decision.

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #1,923 of 9,047
Yeah. The iDSD has a design where best SNR (and other measurable stuff/least distortion/best channel balance) is at 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock. This is only through the headphone out. The preamp achieves channel balance at a really early point of the travel.

Not just 2 o'clock. If volume is maxed out in nano iDSD, amp just acts as buffer or something. Not sure with micro iDSD if it's same.

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #1,924 of 9,047
Not just 2 o'clock. If volume is maxed out in nano iDSD, amp just acts as buffer or something. Not sure with micro iDSD if it's same.

I'm talking about the Micro iDSD. I apologize for the lack of clarity.

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #1,927 of 9,047
can anyone please clear this up for me as I am confused as just a headphone amplifier is the  Micro IDSD more powerful than the iCAN the Idsd says in turbo mode it is 4000mw and that is insane and the iCAN is around 450mw is the IDSD really that much more powerful than the iCAN

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #1,928 of 9,047
Yes it is.
iCan is pure Class A though.

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #1,930 of 9,047
Bit-Perfect does give me some noticeable hiss during quiet sections at normal listening levels with my headphones. (Audeze LCD-X) But the LCD-X are very sensitive.. I listen on Eco and with iEMatch on high sensitivity lol.
But, I still find it to be warmer. But... I do enjoy Minimum Phase.. if it's a quieter song, I use that.
Either way, it's worth testing out yourself with your own gear. 
L3000.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #1,931 of 9,047
Bit-Perfect does give me some noticeable hiss during quiet sections at normal listening levels with my headphones. (Audeze LCD-X) But the LCD-X are very sensitive.. I listen on Eco and with iEMatch on high sensitivity lol.
But, I still find it to be warmer. But... I do enjoy Minimum Phase.. if it's a quieter song, I use that.
Either way, it's worth testing out yourself with your own gear. :L3000:

Indeed!

For some reason, I set my PC volume so that I can use Eco with no IEMatch switched on. And yes, Minimum Phase is the best setting for most genres, thus, I prefer to stick with it. Polarity always positive :beerchug:

Dec 17, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #1,932 of 9,047
After 30 hours of running, I can say that the micro idsd is a very marvelous item for my K10.
It completely blow out my Cypher algorithm -db --> rxmk 3b/Glacier combo out of the water on every tracks.

It makes the K10's sound stage and image like listening to a speaker so that sometimes I forgot that I'm wearing a ciem. 
smile.gif

Going up for the DSD, the micro can make my ciem reveal so real and natural musical tones, like you're hearing live music.

A/B to a Chord Hugo using K10 I can say that the micro sound about 85% of what Hugo could offer. The Hugo sounds a bit more lively and musical but it's triple the price of the micro. So I think you really should get the micro if the Hugo's price is too rough for you 
smily_headphones1.gif

Kudos to ifi for creating such a fine equipment. ( But damn you, too. I lost a couple of my productive work days because I can't put it down 
beerchug.gif
)

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #1,934 of 9,047
  After 30 hours of running, I can say that the micro idsd is a very marvelous item for my K10.
It completely blow out my Cypher algorithm -db --> rxmk 3b/Glacier combo out of the water on every tracks.

It makes the K10's sound stage and image like listening to a speaker so that sometimes I forgot that I'm wearing a ciem. 
smile.gif

Going up for the DSD, the micro can make my ciem reveal so real and natural musical tones, like you're hearing live music.

A/B to a Chord Hugo using K10 I can say that the micro sound about 85% of what Hugo could offer. The Hugo sounds a bit more lively and musical but it's triple the price of the micro. So I think you really should get the micro if the Hugo's price is too rough for you 
smily_headphones1.gif

Kudos to ifi for creating such a fine equipment. ( But damn you, too. I lost a couple of my productive work days because I can't put it down 
beerchug.gif
)

Do compare the tonality between the two (Hugo and iDSD). "More lively and musical" can mean a lot of different things to different people.

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #1,935 of 9,047
To me, Hugo sounds much more rich, musical and warm, to a point that I won't call it neutral. While I don't classify iDSD micro as being 'digital sounding', I'll say Hugo is much more 'analog sounding' in comparison, almost like old tube gear in a way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back